Thread: More lights than I was looking forward to seeing

More lights than I was looking forward to seeing

Last night, the Northern Lights were in the sky.

I was dressed en femme and told my wife that I wanted to take a ride and find somewhere I could take good photos. I grabbed my camera bag, and tripod. I told her that I was going to find somewhere with less light-pollution, and would be back in a while. Surprisingly, she didn’t protest at all or express any concern for the way I was dressed. (She generally wants me to keep it inside our home, usually)

I got to a spot that suit me, most of the show had passed and I was about to give up and go home. I decided to set up anyway and see what I could get. I was happily surprised that my camera picked up more than my naked eye could.
    When I got home, I plugged my laptop into our living room TV’s HDMI input to share my raw pics with my wife. She still didn’t seem upset and was impressed by the imagery I captured. The way I was dressed never came up.

I didn’t think about it until I was driving home – last night also happened to be St. Patrick’s Day – there was increased law enforcement presence out and about. I did notice a few on my way to where I was going.
    I did have my own close call while I was taking photos. A car approached and I could see brake lights lighting up the trees behind it. Soon, the light bar’s strobes could be seen behind the car, but not the front. Then a spotlight briefly hit me. I just about s*** my panties!
    I think they realized that I was a harmless photographer and quickly turned off the strobes, spotlight, and headlights and slowly drove past me. It was a sheriff’s car. I’m pretty sure they weren’t close enough that I would have been made.
    I didn’t mention that part to my wife, nor do I plan to.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jessica, That is a sure way to mess up a pretty pair of panties.

Glad that you got some wonderful pictures.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have also been scanned doing similar exercises.
    A dark spot, camera and tripod.

Gives you a bit of a start the fist couple of times it happens.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sorry you had the issue with the bright police check. Not only raises your adrenaline but interferes with your night vision too!

The Earth has been having moderate to severe geomagnetic storms for the past few days, caused by a pretty big solar flare. The Plantary Kindex hit a level 8 yesterday, pretty big stuff! Ignited Auroras around the world in high latitudes.

One of my bucket list dreams is to see the Aurora so I'm pretty jealous of you right now!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Hi Persephone,
    I have seen the lights many times in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Alaska. It is neat.
    Jessica, no police were ever involved.

Joan
    joank
    Southern California

CD Lifer and a Visual Kei Shinya's Avatar
    Post a pic of the Northren Lights or it never happened lol

god i can be such a heel , high heeled that is

Quote Originally Posted by Shazna View Post
    Post a pic of the Northren Lights or it never happened lol

god i can be such a heel , high heeled that is
    This is one that came out the best. It didn't look like much to the naked eye when I shot this.
    NL17MarWP-500Max.jpg

Wow - that's a nice shot

I'm sure the police have seen it all before.

Nothing wrong with a little southern exposure with the Northern Lights! Nice photos!

That is excellent night photography. Would you mind sharing what equipment you use and how you learned to use so well?
    Two Spirits

Nice story Jessica - gave me a chuckle today given that we had our own little astronomical event (solar eclipse - not total in UK but close to further north.... of course, we were shrouded in cloud this morning... as usual... ) and a nice pic too!

Would perhaps be unusual for a female photographer to be out alone in a deserted place - in some ways it's reassuring to know that you have attentive and diligent law enforcement around...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Quote Originally Posted by MarcellaMcNul View Post
    That is excellent night photography. Would you mind sharing what equipment you use and how you learned to use so well?
    Thank you!
    It's a Nikon D3200 (kit DSLR) with the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm lens that came with it, on a tripod, with wireless remote shutter-release.

I'm still learning. I got some basic tips for settings from a couple of web-sites (just Googled "photographing northern lights" and ferretted out some settings suggestions). I did make a few minor adjustments on the fly while shooting.
    Last edited by JessicasRabbit; 03-20-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Jessica,putting cross dressing aside,I always wanted to see the Northern Lights. Aside from the drama,you got to see them,and thanks for sharing the photos.

Banned Read only
    Myself and 6 others had planned to go out to see the Northern lights last night. We walked out the door and looked up at the sky. It was overcast. So much for seeing the lights.... again! One day I will get to see them.

Great picture! At least you weren't doing something perverted when the sheriff's light fell upon you.

Jessica you set me to giggles.. LOL

CD Lifer and a Visual Kei Shinya's Avatar
    That is a nice one , love them auroras .