Thread: I feel her pain

I feel her pain

I recently overheard a couple of teenage girls babbling on about prom and I got the itch to go searching for a prom dress or formal gown to add to my wardrobe. Now, I am not a large guy by any stretch but I do have a bit of a gut that can be an issue in clothing that is designed to narrow exactly where I get wider. After some frustrating searches I vented to my wife about how all the best dresses didn’t come in my size. This, of course, was hilarious to her since she had complained about the lack of cute clothes that were available every time she had to drop her pregnancy weight and now I got to share her irritation. I did eventually find what should be a pretty hot red dress online that I can’t wait to try on but it got me thinking about how this little hobby has given me empathy for the little frustrating things that women deal with all the time. What are some of the things (serious or fun) that have given y’all greater sympathy or understanding of the daily struggle of being a woman?

Might try some thrift stores, lots of formal wear there. Saw a beautiful wedding dress today.

Breaking a nail, you work to grow them long and then you have one that is shorter then the other. Mine are long now, over at 1/4 inch and I just broke one.
    Having to a lot of time to get ready long, and your hair just does not look right.
    Buying that perfect dress and to fine you add a few pounds and it does not fit as it did when you bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlenesomeone View Post
    Might try some thrift stores, lots of formal wear there. Saw a beautiful wedding dress today.
    I actually ended up going to 6 different thrift stores in four different towns over the course of a Saturday figuring I was sure to find something that would work. Unfortunately it seemed like every dress was either size 6, 8, or 10 and I have no hope of squeezing in any of those.

Just not having anything to wear when I have a wardrobe full of clothes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Vel, I know the feeling, today it seemed like all the cute stuff was too big or too small. Ugh

i know that feeling too. I'm size 24 so you can imagine my general frustration. :P
    -kat
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

I've learned what it truly means to be "having a bad hair day."

I am much more patient about the time it takes a woman to get ready to go out.

I've lived through the trauma of a broken nail and, even worse, the humiliation of having to wait a whole day for a salon appointment to get it fixed.

I've had to ask my partner to slow down while walking because I couldn't keep up in heels.

And something most GGs will never experience, I've had a breast form fall out at an embarrassing moment!

- Diane

Pulled out all my shorts I was wearing last summer to try on for up coming trip to Vegas, only to find that they are to big due to my diet and weight loss. On the other side my overly tight clothes fit better and I have a reason to go shopping.

Platinum Member
    Hi Velocity, A wedding gown and a prom gown are still on my bucket list.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Velocity,

Here is your golden opportunity, the group i messaged you about is having our spring ball in April.
    The theme is the " Silver Screen " you can come as formal as you like. Dressed as movie star winning an oscar or someone attending the Oscars.

It is our version of a prom.
    Last edited by meganmartin; 03-20-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added content
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

Quote Originally Posted by meganmartin View Post
    Velocity,

Here is your golden opportunity, the group i messaged you about is having our spring ball in April.
    The theme is the " Silver Screen " you can come as formal as you like. Dressed as movie star winning an oscar or someone attending the Oscars.

It is our version of a prom.
    Shoot, I'll be on a Scout campout that weekend with my son. It probably wouldn't have mattered anyways, as I ordered the dress on eBay and it is coming from China with an estimated arrival between April 27th-May 27th. I'm betting this is a yearly event though so that will just give me time to get some good heels and a better wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    I am much more patient about the time it takes a woman to get ready to go out.

- Diane
    My perspective on this has changed as well. I have really gained an appreciation for well-applied make-up and think the time and effort expended in getting that, hair, and the right outfit all put together is time well spent.
    Last edited by Katey888; 03-22-2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I now know that sinking feeling when you get all dressed and turn around to see how the mini skirt your wearing accentuates your "assets", and there's a huge run in your hose up to your thigh...and you just got them out of the package! Ugh!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Bel,know the feeling well . Tough walking through the store and having to go to the plus section. I sure would love to be able to slide into a size 8.

I flick through hundreds of hangers at the mall and department store and at the huge Salvation Army store and find nothing attractive in my size. My wife has this experience all the time, it is highly frustrating. then one day when I am hardly paying attention a divine size 18 gown falls into my waiting hands. but back to the original question, I think GG women go through hell sorting out how they are, and becoming OK with how they are, when held against the female stereotypes of mainstream media.

Deb's is having a going out of business sale. My wife and I were in the mall a week or two ago and stopped in. They had quite a few prom dresses left, many in the 1x, 2x, and 3x sizes. My wife picked out a nice dress for our niece for $16 ,regularly $70 or $80.

Honestly, that has been one of the most unexpectedly fun aspects of welcoming, exploring and encouraging my husband's femme side; the first time she complained to me about a run in her stockings it was so surreal that I remember bursting out laughing. Now we have little joint complaining sessions (lipstick feathering, Spanx not fitting, whatever) and it's one of the lighter, more casual and friendly sides of doing this together that I actually really enjoy as a GG and her wife.