Thread: A moment with Dad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reality Check
    Well, my mother dressed me as a girl also. I've always thought that might be part of the reason I dress today.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    A contrary reply to others on I've read on this thread: I agonized for a year about whether or not to tell my aging parents (both in their 80s). One side of me wanted desperately to tell them...the rationale being how can I accept myself if I'm living a lie with respect to the people I love. The other side doubted if they would ever accept...my mother from a farming background, my father from a military background. In the end, I told. Am I ever glad I did. It's like years of subterfuge have been shed like so much dead skin. Not only did they accept, they seem to understand. Our relationship has never been better...so important as they don't have a lot of time left. My two cents.

My father is a tough guy, very commanding and a figure of authority. He scared the hell out of me when I was a kid all the time... there was a general feeling of terror in my house for years.

I told my father about the cross dressing as it related to another incident from childhood...

We had a housekeeper when I was in my early teens. At that time I was getting into my mother's clothes, the ones she had placed in storage and removing them to my secret hiding place. I remember my parents talking one night about letting the housekeeper go because they thought she was stealing my mom's clothes. The housekeeper stopped coming shortly after.

For years I forgot about it but then later in life I began to reflect on it. I felt so terrible for letting someone take the rap for something I had done that I confessed to both my parents what had been going on.

To my genuine surprise both parents were truly concerned about my well being, the last thing I would ever have expected. It just shows you that you never know what the outcome will be. Truly a terrifying thing to expose ones self about such a vulnerable thing to ones parents though!

Ilsa, You have gotten plenty of good advise and I can only add this for you to consider. Isabella hit on what I am about to say and I'm glad she did. I was still in High School and my Father became very ill and a few years later died. I can say, without a doubt my Father loved me unconditionally. Had I had an opportunity to tell him about Amy, I know nothing would have changed between us. He loved me so much, that I know if I wanted to walk around in a clown suit 24/7 he would have been fine with that. He always supported me in what ever I did and now that I have a son and grandson I know why he did love and approve of me.

I speak as one who loves his son the way my Father did me and if he ever told me he liked to crossdress I would say okay, and now lets go fishing like we always have. The only thing that will ever change between my son and I is, I will love him more, as the years go by.

Ilsa, you may want to bring the subject up again, by reminding him of the story he told you, concerning his Mom dressing him as a girl. Say, to him, that you know of some men who really like dressing and ask him how does he think the fathers of those men feel. I'm not saying you should tell him, but his reply will give you an idea where he is, on this issue.

Ilsa,if it was Me at this stage of life I'd say let sleeping dogs lie. Enjoy the remaining time left that you have with your dad. My dad departed 34 years ago today,and I still think about him everyday .