Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That 'female gait'

Was recently advised by a makeup artist seeing me completely dolled up that my weak point was my walk. Good input, not an area I'm totally sensitive to. Her thoughts were toe-to-heel in heels, one foot in front of the other, and a touch of hip sway.

Hugs, Michelle

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    smooth almost floating hips and a little jiggle to the upper body and good posture. i've looked at this a lot and i tend to walk rather jerkily in my male stride and it gives off the image: out of the way, i own the street. part of this is that my father always told me to own the street when i walk and i'd not be considered as a victim--it actually works. so when i needed to fem up my gait, i had to smooth things out and really build from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    Believe it or not a GG from New York City showed me how to run in heels and look feminine. They do it a lot due to muggers, etc.
    ONLY in NYC would women be worried about how they look when escaping from muggers...

I'll add my of observations and practice...

Small steps definitely help - as does keeping head and chin up, up, up! The old 50s deportment exercises of balancing a hardback book on one's head (paperbacks are too floppy and shiny) really do make a difference. If you can think 'elegant' and 'delicate' when walking, I think that helps me too.

Get all that aligned and then arms loosely by side but turn the inside of wrists slightly forward - this forces your elbows in and avoids the much-beloved orangutan swing of caveman jocks.

DeeAnn's right about feet position and a slight crossover - toes pointed forward - if you also consciously move the opposite shoulder forward slightly to the leading foot and let the arms swing naturally, I think you portray a little more hip movement (males normally tend to have shoulders quite 'square-on').

And then after all that, SMILE! (and keep a sharp eye out for kerbs, potholes and cobblestones... )

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

alright we have the answer:

Stand up straight, shoulders back, small steps toes first (because you can't balance on a stiletto), one foot crosses the other and a hip bump and a sway...1,2,3, shoulders steady use only your hips, knees in, sashay, glide, sway, throw your hip forward but not at your waist, 4,5,6 (I'm sorry...number 3 you are out...thanks for auditioning), quick steps...

If you all do all that, you ain't never gonna go anywhere. Just walk.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

LOL, Reine!
    I agree, this is another case where "less is more". Better to keep it to a minimum. I think if we try not to walk like a guy that works well enough for anything but the catwalk or a drag show. Don't take big strides, don't take up space, try to keep things smooth and don't worry about swaying or wiggling or anything like that. I don't think my walk en femme is much different than my walk en homme, especially if I'm wearing flats (heels are a different story just because you have to walk a bit different in them). I guess my walk is not too far off center in that animation, so it doesn't look out of place either way?

One thing I do find helps is wearing a just below the knee pencil skirt worn with even modest heels. The restricted movement the skirt allows "guides" you into a more feminine style of walking.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

My fiancee spent some time with my attempting to get me to walk in a more feminine manner. She says I am better in that I no longer walk like a farmer in heels.

" they love to watch her strut". Thank you Mr. Seger.

I do a bit of the catwalk....
    One foot in front of the other.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    (and keep a sharp eye out for kerbs, potholes and cobblestones... )
    And sewer gratings. They can take you down hard. (Yes, personal experience.)

Practicing in heels going up and down steps is what did it for me.
    Last edited by FrancineS; 03-27-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    PS. I've no doubt this is hard to do. I tried to walk like a guy once and the result was laughable, way too exaggerated. I looked like I had just come off of a three-day ride on a horse.
    Reine, we can just picture your John Wayne impersonation!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Banned Read only
    I too was going to recommend watching the tutorials on YouTube. There are tutorials for just about anything to enhance the womanly experience. I would recommend finding someway to restrict the tendency of men to walk by "throwing" their feet out in front of themselves. When really do walk slower and tend to walk placing their feet in front of the other as they walk, especially in high heels.

Maybe wearing a very long pencil skirt which goes below the knees would shorten a man's stride. I've seen women wear restrictive dresses and even they have to be conscious of shortening their gait.

Jaylin, of course it is possible to run in high heels. I've been wearing them less than a year and I can run in them just fine. The trick is to lead with your toes and run on the balls of your feet, like a sprinter, and not to try running with the heel of your foot landing first. When I had been wearing heels for less than six months, a girl at a club (who herself was in sneakers) was excitedly and quite rapidly hauling me around to meet all her friends, oblivious to me being in 4 inch heels. I kept up with her at a brisk run, with short steps that always landed on the balls of my feet. My heels hardly touched the floor at all until we stopped.