Thread: Only Women Bleed

Silver Member

Only Women Bleed

... and some of the world may not consider us women, but apparently if I do start bleeding, it's a woman's blood. I recently had my annual physical, got back the labs, and followed up concerning a number of results that showed out of range. The reference ranges were, of course, male, as I have not transitioned yet. I naturally expect T and E to show out of range. I worry about and watch potassium carefully because of past issues (very good this time - yay!), but didn't know that the various blood cell counts and hemoglobin had separate sex-normal ranges. So when mine showed low, I called, concerned about anemia. Answer - I'm on estrogen and I'm comfortably in the female-normal range as I should expect.

Well, I didn't know to expect that, but found it interesting enough to pass on. Apologies if this is obvious or old news to you. It took me by surprise.
    Lea

Curious question: was that a reference to the original Alice Cooper song or the cover by Lita Ford?
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Lea;

It's not only a levels thing but the measurement units used when they communicate back. I know for I'm in normal female ranges for e and t. Liver and kidney tests fine. Lipids under control but we're a big issue. Today Im told my prolactin levels have suddenly doubled. So going back for another round of tests. It's a cycle... Our cycle keeping levels in check.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Silver Member
    I wasn't thinking specifically about the song, as the phrase has become a metaphor for women's suffering. If I WERE, then I suppose it would be Alice Cooper or maybe Etta James.
    Lea

They still use the male range on my blood results form, however it now has 'Gender reassignment' against it. I have no idea if that is usual or not?
    Maybe it won't change until I have the GRC certificate? Anyone know any different?

Aspiring Member
    Becky,

I don't recall my blood results form having "gender re-assignment" on them, but pre-op they were still measuring my T count, plus the liver functions etc. Since the op, they no longer need to check everything (especially T). But I'm now only having my bloods checked yearly, just to confirm my hormone intake is still at the appropriate level. (And I still haven't applied for a GRC yet)

Deborah on your results do they use the male range or female range?

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    They still use the male range on my blood results form, however it now has 'Gender reassignment' against it. I have no idea if that is usual or not?
    When I had tests done at Charing Cross, I believe that they used the same labelling, but all of my regular blood tests through my doctor gender me correctly as female. I have not yet applied for the GRC
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

OK thanks, something else to discuss with my GP on my next visit, knowing that others get this helps.
    Last edited by becky77; 03-26-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Becky,

To be honest I can't remember, all I can remember is my medical records reflected the gender marker "F" - in fact the first time I saw my GP, having got a new NHS card to reflect my name change all of "his" medical records had disappeared which caused the GP a little bit of consternation, fortunately there wasn't much on there other than the usual visits for general medications. They still haven't found them, so to all intents and purposes I've only been on the NHS since December 2009!