Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel you have to" pass" to go out into public?

Do you feel you have to" pass" to go out into public?

I've been kinda out in public on and off for about 18 years now. Looking back on it and looking at yesterday I don't think I ever" passed" or ever could at 6'2" 200. I love stripper heels and went out in them found I was so out of practice I couldn't make it to the gas station, and the cops stopped me for a sec. Should've said walking not working LOL😄 I walked all around in sneakers with zero trouble, a guy said he thought I was a female but then said I looked like a cop?? Second time in my life en femme that I was asked if I was a cop? Are they making police wear skirts somewhere other then England😄

although i try my best to pass its more of that warm fuzzy feeling that i get and enjoy from going out.
    i'm sure at best i confuse most people but it makes me feel good and that's pretty much all that
    matters to me...
    paula

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I dont think anyone passes,....maybe kinda sorta...I know I have been out and nobodys looked twice.....but other times....people have looked...and even then it was all gravy, either way it really does not matter.....as long as you own it....if you do that nobody bothers you..IMO ..

Pass or fit in?

I'm under no illusion that if someone looked hard enough, they could find enough clues to figure out what was going on. However, I do take pride in walking by a group of teenagers and having them simply think I'm another lady walking down the street.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Cassie,

It really depends on what you mean by passing as the definition is quite fluid here. IMHO, "passing" means that you could go out in the Vanilla world interact with people (close up and personal) and anyone you interacted with would not doubt you were a woman.

The cold hard reality is, unless you are young, blessed genetically with finer feminine features and a smaller frame . . . a minutia percentage of us truly pass. Even those who have been gifted physically and genetically, still might not pass muster when it comes to time to speak (voice is normally the great equalizer).

Personally, I can blend in as my height, body weight and frame is on the small side for a guy. Add everyday clothing most GGs would wear, some hard fought make-up skills, good beard cover and a wig and I can drift through a large crowded mall and most people will process me (on first glance) as a woman. However, a second harder stare or interaction and all bets are off. Since I like to interact with others when I go out, I know I am going to be read and accept that fact. The sooner I accepted this truth, the more comfortable I became going out in the world. So long answer to your question . . . No, I don't feel I have to pass to go out in public.

Hugs

Isha

I always try to blend if I am going to public non CD places. I have never been hassled but I know I have been read. Generally no one cares. We are all wrapped up in our own world and not looking for CDs. I try as well as I can to pass but I stand 5'10" so at best I am a tall girl usually at worst I amy have some one wonder is the real or is that a guy in a bra But WHO really cares
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Aspiring Member
    That feeling is the exact reason why I don't go out while presented as female yet. While I am confident of blending up to a few metres away (168 cm is still tall as far as women go in Singapore), passing after prolonged interaction is so far away it's not even funny.

Platinum Member
    Passing isn't a prerequisite for me, but I do try to dress appropriately for the situation and pick outfits that work for me despite my larger proportions. But that's me....in the pass vs blend debate I am in the blend camp
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I do try to pass or at least blend in, I don't wear stripper heals to pump gas or go shopping at the mall. Am I delusional to think that I do pass 100%...absolutely not. I dress appropriate for the venue and time of day to blend in with the GG population. I definitely do not try to present as a male in female clothes.

Personally I don't need to "pass" as I don't go anywhere that I feel I don't need to. Most of my interaction en femme is at LGBT functions or with friends. Why borrow trouble if you don't need it? Cops have been going undercover en femme for a number of years to catch muggers, purse snatchers, etc.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There is a lot of talk about going out dressed and it seems very popular and exciting, I think it does take a lot of guts going out dressed, the furthest that I have made it to going out is a walk around the back garden at midnight

Reality Check
    When I go out in public, it's an attempt to "pass" or "blend" (I haven't figured out the difference). I wear what I expect genetic women to be wearing at the time and place and try to act like a woman. No hooker outfits for me. Typically no heels either, just flats.

I can't pass, as in "pass scrutiny." But for the most part if I'm out, I'm "out" if you know what I mean -- anyone who cares to have a look will say, "That's a transvestite." For a long time I've felt that it's great for me in gay-friendly places but I didn't want to go to places where normal people expect normal people -- go eat at Chili's for example. People there aren't looking for "my kind of person" and I felt they had a right not to be confronted with me. Lately my friend has been pitching the idea that I'm a transgender person and have as much right to be in the normal world as anyone else. The idea is starting to get traction with me. Transgender people are a rare but natural part of the human race. We have a lot to offer. We have a right to be here. Now that we're gradually building a society where it's not OK to attack us or kill us on sight (and clearly that message isn't totally accepted yet) we can emerge and be who we were meant to be. Whatever that is.

Like others said they may look and wonder but if you ooze confidence, and don't look like hooker.Most won't care or pay attention. So no I don't feel I have to pass, I'm not causing a scandal if I were to be discovered.
    Last edited by FrancineS; 03-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Yes, it's quite important to me to pass or at least blend since my goal is to go 24x7. I want as few hassles as possible.

Banned Read only
    I'm six foot even and 195 pounds. I am under no illusion that I pass as a woman. Yes, there are a few women who may be mt stature, but, they are few and far between. I have been out during the evening. In the past I have taken strolls when it is dark, but, not late. In the fall darkness falls at a respectable hour, so there is little chance a police officer would stop and inquiry as to whether I was some sort of male hooker. I do not dress like a tart. I dress conservatively in knee length dress and modest three inch heels. I love it when it is raining lightly so I can use an umbrella to shield my obvious male facial features.

I want to not attract attention. I just want to take a walk and feel the cool night breeze caress my legs and play with the skirt of my dress. I dress for the peace and serenity wearing women's clothing brings me. I would love it if I was not six foot even. Five foot seven would be just fine. Not only are there more dresses available, nobody really looks at a modestly dressed mature woman.

I'm 6'2 in my sticking feet, add on three inch heels and there is no way that I'm going to pass. That being said, I do my best with my makeup and wear conservative clothes befitting my age. I also only go to LGBT venues, so I'm not so worried about a lynch mob. The only individuals out side of the bar I normally go to who see me are uber/cab drivers, so I don't worry so much.

Threads about big shoes get shut down because of "been there done that" but this old chestnut never dies.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    I'm 6'2 in my sticking feet, add on three inch heels and there is no way that I'm going to pass. That being said, I do my best with my makeup and wear conservative clothes befitting my age. I also only go to LGBT venues, so I'm not so worried about a lynch mob. The only individuals out side of the bar I normally go to who see me are uber/cab drivers, so I don't worry so much.
    I'm in the same boat only difference is I will go to mainstream places when I get a chance. I also wear costumes to charity events that are not always LGBT venues. Do my best out there and that's all I can do.

At 6' 3" and 220 lbs, I'm not likely to even blend, heels or flats. Mostly I go out to girls night out at a gay bar, although I have been out in the vanilla world several times with no adverse results. I have one daughter that is 5' 10" and one who is 6" even, so there are tall GGs out there. The 6' one likes to wear platform heels, then she is taller than I am. There are a lot more tall GGs than there used to be, so I think that height alone is not the give-a-way that it used to be. My sister had a Brazilian student living with her several years ago that is 6' 5" and just drop dead gorgeous, I wish I could look like that when I get dressed up!

Hugs, Bria

I am always passing when I go out.....
    Other cars....

I feel as long as you are presentable and dress so as not to attract too much attention, you can't ask more than that.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I doubt if I pass, but I think it's important to make the effort. It shows that I'm taking it seriously and not clowning around. I think if people realize you're serious about it, most of them will respect your choices. As long as people call me "ma'am" and treat me with respect, I don't care what they're thinking.

When I am out, I just want to be treated with the respect that everyone deserves. I do not care if they think I am a woman or a man dressed as a woman.

Richelle

Do I feel I have to pass to be in public?

No, however I try my hardest to pass, being a pretty woman takes effort, I enjoy the process, and the results, when I get Ma'am

If I don't pass, I want them to think "wow she looks good!"

What cisgender woman says it's not important for me to be seen as a woman? What cisgender wants to be mistaken for a man?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Dress to blend in 100% girl mode is the best I can do and I know it.
    I have had people think I was female and kind of shocked I wasn't after all,if that is passing then I'm OK with it.