Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you feel you have to" pass" to go out into public?

If to pass means that you fool everyone that you are a woman. No. I don't even want to be thought of as a woman. To be accepted because I look nice is enough for me. I just think that I should be allowed to dress as myself in whatever is aproppreate with the makeup that fits. Crossdressing doesn't have to be gender for me. Clothes are clothes. I just try to look good.

Rhanda

The fact I don't feel I can pass is probably the only reason I don't go out😂

This is a good topic. For me I don't think I will pass nor do I want to try. I'm content knowing that what I'm wearing is from the women's section and maybe pushes the edge a little bit. I don't have breasts nor do i wear forms but i have been lucky to find a bra that fits without creating projection. If my jeans and top are womens and I have on women's undergarments and carry a purse, that's a win for me.

Like other posters have said, It is unlikely that I will fool all of the people all of the time- which is largely why I haven't gone out yet. I think I'm rapidly appraching "blendability", though, which is enough to at least get me out the door.

Eventually.

No, I don't have to pass to go out in public. I don't think I stand out too much, or at least I've not gotten much attention as far as I could tell while out dressed. That's enough for me. To just be able to go about my business without undue attention, especially negative attention (but being shy, I don't want to be the center of attention even if it's positive. I'd much rather have positive interactions on an individual level. And so far that's what I've experienced for the most part.)

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

I would like to but....

I'm not going to lie and say that I don't want to pass, but I venture out with the expectation that somebody will read me. Having said that though, I will always do my absolute best to get as close to that bar as I can before going out. So if, or when I get read, I can then at least assure myself that it wasn't because I didn't try... If my best isn't good enough, oh well. I just remind myself that I do this for me, and external approval and/or acceptance is not required.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

I have been going out off and on since I was 19. I started out with a polyester top,purple bell bottums,canvas shoes with orange translucent souls. I had my own hair done up like Gloria Steinem or Peg Bundy. I tried to do makeup but I didn't know what I was doing and I'm sure I looked like a mess. But that was Samantha back in like 1975. I've learned a whole lot since then. i've picked up tons of information from other m to f's and from my gorgeous platonic girlfreind of many years. I have 10 wigs and a very nice wardrobe plus lots and lots of makeup and cosmetics of all descriptions. I come from southern Illinois about 30 miles from St.Louis,Mo. I've lived in Minneapolis/St.Paul since 2005 and I go out dressed to the nines pretty often. I go to places like Cafe Southside,The Townhouse,The Saloon and people have on a few ocaisions stopped me on the street and complimented me on my hair(wigs)or my cowboy boots and artificial fiber fur coats and my makeup and earrrings. What i have to say may sound cynical,but if you are duded up like a female,people will generally assume that's what you are! Not to sound anti-social but people ain't that observant or inquisitive! And everybody gets read once in awhile. A very nice lady in my apartment building figured me out and read me but she was both aproving and nice about it. There's a lot brewing up that's new in the air about tolerance for LGBT/TG/TS/CD people and about respect for our rights so I know that that old business about "guys in ladie's clothes" might not even matter in coming years and anyway,anybody can get read,but usually most people can't tell any better than Mister Magoo without his glasses if you're a guy enfeme or not. But people have lives of their own and maybe they're not real concerned over us anyway. Cheers, Samantha

When I go out I generally dress to blend in. There are certain styles that are so common they serve as camouflage - like low booties and patterned tights. (This winter every single woman on the train seemed to rock the same puffer coat.) If anyone was really studying me carefully they would notice things so I try to be very low-key.

I think it was Charlie Jane Anders who said it best- you will never pass with everyone, and shouldn't expect to. Don't sweat every detail. If you are going out, confidence is your best accessory.