Thread: Love Salmon but... there's a price to pay

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

Love Salmon but... there's a price to pay

Had another "issue" with my evolving dietary changes over the past couple of weeks. I love salmon and generally BBQ some a couple of times a month. With issues in the new new year around Triglycerides which through positive dietary changes I've nicely wipped them into shape. Last blood tests in Jan all fine.

Over the past month I have upped the amount of salmon I consume - good seafood, high in Omega 3 blah blah... So occasional Home Smoked Salmon begal in the morning for breakfast or salmon sprinkled through my spinich salads for dinner or out right nice salmon fillet for dinner. All in all my salmon consumption has gone up quite a bit.

Now; I have for a long time noticed when I have a salmon dinner the next few days my breasts becomes noticeably puffy. Recently; however I paid no attention to this given HRT shots, etc and the associated results that come from E.

However; bloodtests last week raised an issue. Significant increase in Prolactin levels (something that has been stable); this puzzled both myself and my Dr. as something we'll need to monitor more closely.

So I've been racking my brain in what could be causing this issue and suddenly it dawned on me... crap... I've been eating (farmed Atlantic) Salmon almost daily.

So we are guessing that this is the culprit. Dang one more favorite food I'll have to give up (or go to organic) in the pursuit of womanhood... well at least go back to occasional and keep consumption to a minimum.

"The amount of these estrogenic compounds is highest in farmed salmon; however, even wild salmon contain some toxins. While Health Canada has not recommended restricting consumption of farmed salmon, other health agencies, such as the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society, have issued warnings."

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Banned Read only
    Instead of cutting out salmon, try cutting back the amount you eat. Once or maybe twice a week instead of every night. Learn to eat a well balanced meal. Yes, that means learning to cook other foods! Have your doctor hook you up with a nutritionist.

Too much of any good thing makes it a bad thing
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Jorga ... Hahah I'm actually quite accomplished in the cooking department... Saturday's is for baking. Rachel's right too much of a good thing. Salmon tear put on the back burner... ��
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Banned Read only
    Unfortunately "wild caught" is much more expensive than farm raised...

DeeAnn

I agree with everyone else,you need a little more diversity in your diet. A lot of one thing usually isn't good for you. Maybe throw in a few more veggies. I love some vegetables raw over cooked. I have read that raw is better for you. You don't need meat every day. I love meat ,but I have started limiting it and eating meatless meal at least once a week.
    Last edited by Robin777; 03-28-2015 at 10:27 PM.

So what is in the salmon? Is it high in estrogen? I am on a soybean based diet and this is high in estrogen. I not on hrt yet and my Dr knows my diet and is monitoring my blood. My estrogen is in the female level. I do eat salmon but like you said it dos cost.

as a long time alaskan I can tell you in r/e to the natives that a high diet of salmon will not do any real harm ,there is however everything else you may be putting on or with your fish .Not knowing which side of canada you live in if it is the eastern side try wild atlantic salmon they have the omega that farm raised does not ,and no hormone issues with their feed . If perhaps you live on the west side then I would say stay away from the farm fish and go with the reds,kings and coho .Now I apologize here for the geographical intonations as I am familliar only with western canada
    hugs phyli

Reality Check
    You will find someone to tell you that eating anything is bad for you. People have been eating salmon for thousands of years with no ill effects. If you're eating it every day, that may be a little much. Once or twice a week is fine.

Or you could just eat seeds and grain.

Jennifer

Please excuse the 'Pun' but there's something fishy here!! ('Oh' I can hear the groans) But in all seriousness in the UK it is widely now being recognised that Farmed Fish although cheap in price and available in quantity, is now being viewed that the sales tag should say buyer be aware!!
    What appears to be the concerns of the Authorities is 'Farmed Fish' as opposed to wild fish that come to table are very different. The chemicals that are placed in the waters where the farmed fish are reared to combat disease amongst the fish and the food that the fish are fed on to bring them to maturity earlier is the worrying factor. If this is the case in Canada? then this may be part of the problem you may have? if indeed it is. I personally avoid any farmed fish but this is not so easy as product labelling by the stores can often be confusing as they try to hide facts from the customer in selling their products

Anyway good luck with finding a cure for the problem and I hope all goes well

C'mon girl, you wanna grow boobs, not gills.
    Let's go out and eat some bacon.

Being a lover of salmon, I feel your pain. But even then, I only have it a few times a month. Everything in moderation. Important that you get your levels back in order, so I'm with Paula....Bacon!! . So dinner at a steak house when I am in town next, Dr's orders!!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Bacon... ymmmm perhaps then I replace Salmon with Bacon... hahah... Atkins here I come...

I'm down 46lbs and 5 inches on the waist. 25lbs to go and another inch or 2 off the waist would be nice. I love my stairclimber and rower.

Erin: You're on!!!

Awesome!! You go girl!! you're better wear a name tag, 'cause I ain't gonna recognize you!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Atkins is a form of a ketogenic diet. I started a true keto diet last September. I'm now down 68 lbs. and 10 inches off my waist. However, the weight loss has dramatically slowed down since I started HRT. Ugh! I am stuck at my toughest plateau ever -- 1 lb. lost in the last 3 weeks. I hope I break through this, as I have some more to go. I have my eyes on a new summer wardrobe...

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Smith View Post
    Too much of any good thing makes it a bad thing
    I've been an overeater for my entire life. It's hard to cut back, and just about everyone has to pay more attention to their diets. I had a heart attack scare towards the end of last year, and it's forced me to accept the inevitable. I've gone on a real diet, watching my calories (with an app since I'm a full-on nerd), and cutting way down on the sugary snacks and beverages. I've managed to turn things around. I've lost 20 lbs in the last 5 months, and I have to applaud anyone who's making the effort and getting results. It's a tough struggle!

Jennifer, maybe you just need to switch suppliers of your Salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    You will find someone to tell you that eating anything is bad for you.

Or you could just eat seeds and grain.
    Not to fulfill your own observation (ok, I am), but too many seeds and grains can aggravate one's Diverticulitis.