Thread: How long from meds to full-time?

How long from meds to full-time?

Hi,

This is really directed to TS's who are living full-time.

1) If you are or were on an anti-androgen, how long did you go between starting the anti-androgen and going full time?

2) If you are on HRT, how long did you go between starting HRT and going full-time?

If you went full-time before starting the meds, please answer with a negative number for (1) and (2), or just -1 if you went full-time before but don't know exactly how long before.

The reason I ask: I've been on spiro for 6 months and HRT for 3 weeks, and I'm really getting stressed out by the constant switching back-and-forth that being part-time entails. Psychologically, I feel I could go full-time tomorrow, but I have these nagging doubts that I should wait for HRT to have more pronounced physical effects...

I'm seeing my gender therapist tomorrow. I'm going to run the idea of starting my name-change process by her; that will start a forced 6-10 week countdown to going full-time.

I did HRT as HRT...blockers and estrogen. I went full time about 2 years after starting HRT. During that time, I was very depressed, lost alot of weight and finally I planned my work exit, i managed my family life through selective disclosure, completed a separation and divorce and finally told kids. much of this time i would have denied i was transitioning . it was not a good time for me

After 3 months of full time i had FFS surgery...about a year after that SRS...

my name change process began after i got FFS and it took about 4 months

I had a therapist the entire time that coached me as well as a number of transitioned ts women that gave me advice (lots of it to not transition unless i had to!! LOL)

I think you will find almost everyone of us did a different timeline. Your frame of mind is important and will have a big impact on what you do and when you do it..
    My frame of mind deteriorated throughout this entire period until i gave in and went full time...

I cant really put an exact date on when I went "full time".... The last time I tried to present myself as male was 12-25-2013 but Id already been doing as much as I could as a woman for 6 months before that... Even without HRT the changes in my appearance and demeanor were getting hard to hide and it was getting very hard to pretend to be a man... I didn't go on legit HRT until 4 1/2 months later but I was on a very effective for me at least herbal feminization regime for three months before HRT and I feel like that was a good head start... I filed the paper work with the court to change my name 2 weeks after starting HRT.... The week after that I came out to everyone... I started laser and electrolysis a few weeks before HRT as well... I feel like it was coming out to everyone and getting started on the name change that really made it "full time"... You cant really take that back after all
    Last edited by EvaMarie; 03-30-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Your timetable to full-time will be on your terms. I started HRT June 2012, went full-time a year later in Sept 2013 after legal name change. Underwent FFS Nov 2014. Planning SRS this Nov 2015.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    Minus 13 months for HRT and minus 21 months for decapeptyl (anti androgen) . Have been full time since Jan 2013, nothing was going to stop me going full time as soon as I knew I was ready, the rest of the waiting was negotiating the NHS waiting times, hope that helps x

Jan 2012 saw GP for first time regarding trans issue
    Sept 2012 formally requested referral to Gender Clinic at Charing Cross
    Jan 2013 went full time
    July 2013 first appointment at Clinic
    Feb 2014 finally approved and prescribed estrogen
    Oct 2014 prescribed decapeptyl
    June 2015 will hopefully be my last appointment at clinic for my surgical referral , fingers crossed
    Last edited by Jamie M; 03-30-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

Started HRT and anti-androgen at the same time, almost exactly 1 year later went full-time.

May well have done it sooner, but I needed to change job roles first.

Five months.

Was 90% full time when I started HRT. Threw out my men's clothing soon after.

Thanks everyone. So I took the numbers (did some interpretation for the vague ones) and found the time ranged from -13 months to 24 months, with an average of about 6 months and a (huge) standard deviation of more than 12 months.

That's the canonical example of "YMMV" It's given me food for thought.

5 months
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

-3 days for both

Started Hrt and anti's on 5-8-13 went fulltime on Oct 10, 2013. Prior to that I had lived for a little more then 18 months as a woman everywhere but work.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Started hrt officially in jan. Function mostly as a woman personally. Not out at work at this time. Likely move to ft in September which is likely to include work and name change. Since I work at home and the office is 4000miles away the work issue is less of an issue.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Don't remember the exact timescales for AntiAndrogens compared to Oestrogen, but I do remember it was 48 weeks from going full-time to my first appointment at the Gender Identity Clinic and it was about 12-14 weeks after that when I began taking Estradiol Valerate.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I was on anti-androgens for a little over a month before starting on estrogen –*but I didn't start either until more than two years after I went full time. I didn't want to feel that my female identity was the dependent on medication. The latter was just a medical decision I made as a woman with some genetic challenges.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

I went full-time 15 days after I started on HRT. I only dressed as male once after starting HRT (August 15) because I wasn't yet out at my AA home group. I was living as a woman all but in my AA home group (every other Friday) for almost two months before starting HRT.

I started anti-androgens (half dosage) and estrogen (full-dosage) on August 1, 2014. My doctor doubled my spiro dosage on February 2, 2015.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I started full-time at work about four months after starting HRT, including requiring that I be granted access to the ladies room.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Thanks again, everyone.

I met with my therapist today and she agrees I'm ready. So I plan on filing my name change papers within a week. After that, it's a 6-to-8-week countdown to full-time...

For me, that'll make it about 9 months on spiro and 3 months on estradiol.

Untitled
    My time scale was quite different, I went full time late 2006, but did not seek any "medical" help until 2010 when the GD punched me in the face, but didn't start HRT till 2011. The middle road seemed good at the time, but things got better after HRT began.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Started Spiro in August 2012, Estrogen two months later. Finally came out at work and got my name legally changed in May last year.
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

Gold Member
    There you go Dianne! For me I started HRT on April 11th and laid out a plan with completion on October 2nd. The only consideration for changes was whether I might need a compression top for work or not (didn't). I think just setting a schedule and going is the best way because you have to be able to verbalize this to those around you and a plan is more settling for those learning.

I think I started hormones in May and went full time the next Jan. That was last year been full time over a year now. Took a month off work, had ffs, changed name and all documentation then returned to work as a woman.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

It's hard for me to pin down exactly when I went full-time, but I was presenting female for much of the year leading up to HRT. I socially transitioned about two months after starting meds, once I had become certain that they were right for me. Funny, earlier this year I had to present male for a few minutes to vote in a special election. (I had neglected to update my voter ID). The poll official ma'amed me despite my efforts.
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

It's inspiring to hear so many success stories on those going full time.

I'm 6 1/2 months HRT and hardly presenting female at all yet. Not that I don't want to...but having a family with kids changes a transition time line substantially.

My HRT was E and Spiro, then at the 5th month dropped spiro and started micronized P. I've never felt better mentally in my entire life.

I went full time for two years than one year prior to surgery began spironolactone and estradiol. My time prior to HRT was not a joyful time for me but once on HRT I was told by friends they say a sparkle in my eyes. I keep hearing the sparkle in the eye from people who have not seen me for a while so that validates I am much happier. No weight gain or depression while on HRT. Currently on estradiol only as spironolactone is not required after GRS.