Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dressing problems

dressing problems

When I looked in my closet this morning I saw clothes that a woman of about forty to fifty years old would wear. I am sixty five years old. and I look like a person of about 40 years old. Now my face is a different story. When I look in the mirror I see a 65 year old lady. Do older ladies dress to look there age or try to look younger. Some times I sit in the mall and look at women that look about my age. womem in their 60's or older look so plain black pants single color tops. and shoes to fit their age and not wearing nice boots or hight heel shoes. My question is do a lot of ladies her try to dress to look younger or act their age?
    My story is the song "Reflection" by Jackie Evancho

Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. I try to have my wig partly cover my face, so I do not see my whole face in the mirror. The rest of me does not look bad at all, at least to me, when I"m dressed up. I tend to ignore my age, when I dress up, as I like costumes and stuff younger women may wear. Anyway, good luck and have fun while you can!!

no idea what clothes make you look your age...is there a 60+ department I don't know about?

Wear what looks good on you and makes you happy. As long as you don't step over the bounds of propriety in public, just wear whatever. Half MY clothes come from the "juniors". Two dresses I am getting in the mail today are "club" dresses. Here in Denver we have neighborhoods where people of substantial wealth (to me that is over 40$) live. The women there wear tennis dresses or long gowns or tight skirts when they go out to specific functions. They don't say "I'm 50 now, I need to dress like Mama on Mama's family." Age is a number not a lifestyle
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I don't see any difference in what a 45~50 yr old lady wears and what a 65yr old lady wears. Seems to be all the same to me.

Some dress frumpy at 30, some at 60, yet many still want to look nice and don't wear frumpy at all.

And a lot depends on where one lives, like city vs. farm, etc.
    DonnaT

Why on earth would I want to look my age???
    If women have plastic surgery to look younger and I can do much of that with wigs and makeup and tape why not???

You see, I'm a 65 year old that feels 45 and thinks 25. As Peter Pan said, "I'll never grow up"...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I guess it depends on where you are on the TG spectrum. Cding for me often includes fantasy fulfillment so my closet is full of clothing worn by women much younger. But my CDing is mostly a private solo affair so I don't suffer from issues like "do I pass" or "am I age appropriate." On the rare occasion I venture out the function needs to support the clothing I own and like to wear. If I, as a CD, wanted to routinely "pass" in public then I would dress much differently.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You need to realize when you dress up people always say you look younger so go for it.

I'm a senior who likes to shop in juniors so I would say go for it. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Hi,
    My face doesn't match the clothes - so I don't look in the mirror!
    luv J

Carrie, I'm 63 years old and look forty. My face does also. I do wear mini's yet longer ones than my SO for coverage LOL.
    Yet mostly, I'm in a pencil skirt and a nice blouse for movies and dinner out. I do wear heels and I like the wide heel platform pumps. That wide heal does not get into small cracks as the spikes do. I do have those also. I do dress as an older lady yet I will push the boundaries. I have long thin legs and like to show them off. So a tasteful mini is fun sometimes.
    Part Time Girl

Being 87 I can't figure out what my age should wear. Everyone that says anything about my style complements me and can't believe that I am that old. I have shopped in stores that cater to older women and never have found anything that I would wear. Most women (and men) my age do what I call shuffle when they walk. They couldn't wear 6 inch heels if they tried. I'm not going to give up my heels!

It's time that us older ones stand up on our heels and fight! LOL

Rhanda

P.S. Forgive for my attempt at humor. I just have a silly streak today.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Not sure if I can help much, but I feel that I dress my real age.
    I will admit, however, that attempts are definitely made to look younger than I really am.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm 62 and get comments all the time that I don't look 62.
    In girl mode I have been told I look in my mid 40's.
    I do think make up and smiling is the key.

Ladies thank you for all the feed back so far, A couple of things that I noted when i was reading your replays is that a large percentage of you have been on this forum for many years. You are the ladies that all us new members to this forum look up to for advice. The other thing that I notice is of all of the faces I see in your pictures. you really spend time making sure you keep your faces looking young. you all must be doing all the things that gg's do to keep that young skin looking so good. I guess that I will need to get more concealer, foundation, and a puddie knife to apply my make up. or get the courage to go and get a makeover to see what I am doing wrong.
    My story is the song "Reflection" by Jackie Evancho

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I love using "Clean & Clear" Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub. (OIL-FREE).
    You can literally feel it clean and it just feels really good and cool.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I love to dress age approximate but always want to look as d
    Fem and appealing as possible. I'm 66 so if I can look 10-15 years younger that's a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I'm 62 and get comments all the time that I don't look 62.
    In girl mode I have been told I look in my mid 40's.
    I do think make up and smiling is the key.
    Pardon my edited version of my initial reaction when I read this: NO freaking way you are 62!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Carrie,

I believe the people you see in the mall at 60 -65, are dressed for comfort as it is an effort to cross the mall with a ton of bags... I guarantee if they were going out on the town, the heels would be on, the makeup would look just right and they would be strutting their stuff. my mom, in her eighties, would dress just as you described to go to the mall, but get her on the dance floor.... there was always a new dress. and she was made up to the nines.

I say go for it.

Hugs

niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Platinum Member
    Take a look at the mall and see what women of different ages, but similar statuses are wearing. I think you'll see that there's not all that much wardrobe difference between a forty something and a sixty something.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My assistant is 66. She looks great and dresses like she is 45. I'm almost 66 and that's what I try for also...
    Please call me Lisa!

Gold Member
    Well I am 68, and still wear the same clothes that I got when I was 55.
    My wife would advise me not to dress as a teen ager, because I would never pass as one.
    Try to keep dresses and skirts at or just below the knee.
    Blouses should not show to much cleavage, in short, keep it modest, and you will be fine.
    Just look around some day, look at what gg's our age are wearing; you will not go wrong
    by just trying to follow them.
    Rader

My style hasn't changed all that much since I was five and first discovered my mom's closet. (58 now.) The only difference is that now, I can afford nicer clothes that actually fit.

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    Why on earth would I want to look my age???
    If women have plastic surgery to look younger and I can do much of that with wigs and makeup and tape why not???

You see, I'm a 65 year old that feels 45 and thinks 25. As Peter Pan said, "I'll never grow up"...
    Good one Cheryl!! Thats the way I think too!!!

My wife says occasionally that a dress I like is a "granny dress" which I generally disagree with. I'd say I probably dress younger than my age but not like 30 years younger. It's more because I don't have the body to pull those kind of outfits off though, than thinking I need to dress my age.

Reality Check
    We all have our reasons for dressing and we all have different closeness to "passing" or not, even in our own eyes. If you're not trying to pass (even for yourself), you can wear anything. Ballerina outfits, micro skirts, six inch heels, etc.. If you want to be able to look in the mirror and see a woman looking back at you, you need to dress as a woman your age would dress. Look around at genetic women your age and see what they wear. Some, of course, just throw on a sack dress or sweat pants and shirt, while others try to look good in public and play down their actual age a bit. It's your choice.