Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dressing problems

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    Hi,
    My face doesn't match the clothes - so I don't look in the mirror!
    luv J
    ^this matches my thoughts exactly. I have two mirrors; one in my bathroom, one on the back of my bedroom door. I don't look in either. Problem solved!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    The clothes you were describing as worn by women in their sixties may be said of women a lot younger. Have you been to Wal-Mart. The only stylish attire I see on women in Wal-Mart is military utility uniforms (fatigues). I know many women in their fifties and sixties who wear colorful tops and stylish pants. Most women do not wear heels or boots unless there is a reason. I'm in my middle to last sixties are I wear stylish dresses. Today I'm wearing a stylish Croft and Barrow knee length dress. My body looks a lot younger than my age, but, my face looks as if I'm fifties. Then, I can attest, I have seen many early twenties women, who look like they're in their forties because they smoke and have severe weight issues.

PS: There are a lot of men who look the same.

Everyone likes to look younger me included .If you are out then just don't go to young or stick out .If your in the closet dress what ever way you want which is what i do.Sometimes it's a miniskirt and top or a short dress and sometimes longer more age appropiate .Other times it is petticoats and frilly dresses
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Platinum Member

Age Is Just A Number !

Hi Carrie, I am 72 and I don't want to dress like a woman of that age, I dress like a 40 or 50 year old.

Short skirts and 4 & 5 inch heels are parts of the program too, Age is just a number not a life style.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

dress in clothes that I feel comfortable in, yes they are a lot younger than my age but I do not dress like an old fowl in chicken clothes.

Yes I do use chick filletts.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm 65 and I dress in normal women's clothing not what the older women wear. I try to buy in the 40 year old brackets I would like 60 plus women to the same why try to look older.

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i always find it interesting that people try to "look" and "act" their age. why? age is nothing more than how long you have been on this earth, do you really feel you are old and want to look like your grandmother now? i hope i never do! shop and buy what you look good in, bright vibrant colors, sexy--if that is you, things that make you feel good. just because you are not 25 any more is no reason to don sack cloth and look like you're just waiting around to die or be carted off to a nursing home.

be you. enjoy yourself at any age. nobody should really have any say about what makes you happy or how you express yourself--including what you wear. don't buy into that old sexist stereo-type, just be you!

Reality Check
    For all those who say that "age is just a number", I have a medicine chest full of pills and ointments that will prove you wrong. A friend of mine brought his new girlfriend to a dance one time and from the back she looked really hot in her miniskirt, heels and long blonde hair. Then he introduced me to her and up close, her face was wrinkled and she looked to be eighty years old.

Just like when you put together an outfit of skirt, blouse, shoes and jewelry that goes together, remember that your face and body should go with the rest of the outfit.

Aspiring Member
    I'm 19 but to dress 'my age' apparently requires short shorts on informal occasions. Black leggings seem juvenile at times compared to stockings, but are actually no less common. In other words, uncommon but hardly rare. I tend to overdress (on hindsight) when presenting as female to begin with.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanda View Post
    Being 87 I can't figure out what my age should wear. Everyone that says anything about my style complements me and can't believe that I am that old. I have shopped in stores that cater to older women and never have found anything that I would wear. Most women (and men) my age do what I call shuffle when they walk. They couldn't wear 6 inch heels if they tried. I'm not going to give up my heels!

It's time that us older ones stand up on our heels and fight! LOL

Rhanda

P.S. Forgive for my attempt at humor. I just have a silly streak today.
    Rhanda, at 87 you can wear whatever you want. You have more than earned it!!!

Styles are constantly changing and there are also hundreds of different style types (for example casual, office, gala, grunge, nightclub) so it is difficult to come up with rules.

But, I think there is not much difference between the styles that middle aged women wear and senior women. The biggest difference is between clothes worn by the young vs the "older" lol. By this I mean short dresses, body hugging clothes, body-baring clothes worn by college and women in their 20s(ish), that would look out of place on someone in her 40s-50s or older. As we age, we don't need to become frumpy and cover ourselves head-to-toe, but good general rules are that hemlines should go down a few inches, heels should go down a bit too, clothes should fit well and not reveal every bulge and sagging skin, boobs shouldn't be spilling out. Young women can get away with these styles without looking like street-walkers, but not so much the more mature woman.

I'm in my 50s and I am noticing a change in the texture of the skin on my thighs and also the underpart of my upper arm is losing tone. I don't particularly enjoy advertising my age, so I choose to wear clothing that covers my thighs and my upper arms if I am going out. For just dressing around the house or with friends, it doesn't really matter, I don't mind wearing tank-tops when it is hot in the summer. But to a fancy restaurant on a date with my SO? No. I don't wear shorts out anywhere in the summer anymore, unless I am working in the yard. I'll throw on an easy care cotton skirt.

Jorga says that we can all wear what we want. This is true, we don't need to dress to impress but what impressions do you get from the following pics ...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...95_306x554.jpg
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...78_634x413.jpg

... compared to these?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...91_306x678.jpg
    http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...The-Ticket.jpg
    http://www.greenfield-sanders.com/fi...ice_Carmen.jpg

Dressing well at any age doesn't mean to be completely style-less.

Older women don't have to dress like this:
    http://www.sunnyskyz.com/uploads/201...adies-joke.jpg

They can dress like this:
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...48_634x340.jpg
    Reine

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    You're as old as u feel. I'm 70+ year old guy.

Sherry's 17. What's a young girl to do?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    im going to be 50 and i never went for the hooker look,but the modest look which helps me blend in,not stand out.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Jorga says that we can all wear what we want. This is true, we don't need to dress to impress but what impressions do you get from the following pics ...
    No, I did not say everyone could wear what they want! I said Rhanda could wear whatever she wants. Honey, if I make it to 87 you can bet your sweet @$$ I'm wearing whatever I want.

I:ve always posted smart looking photos....11414e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    Honey, if I make it to 87 you can bet your sweet @$$ I'm wearing whatever I want.
    Jorja, sorry if I offended, it wasn't meant that way.

I was wanting to point out there are two things at play when we choose what to wear. First, how the clothes make us feel. This is indeed important and is what I think you are focusing on. Second, is the impression that we may also wish to convey based on various cultural norms for situations, age groups, etc. This second thing is what makes us decide to not wear ball gowns to the grocery store, or not show up at Church wearing a bathing suit for example.

So if someone wants to appeal to others (if they don't want to be stared at), they need to take the second thing into consideration. If it is not important to someone how others view them, then I agree they needn't worry about it and focus on wearing just what makes them feel good.
    Reine

"Rhanda, at 87 you can wear whatever you want. You have more than earned it!!! "

One of my favorite poems begins with the lines,
    "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat that doesn't go ..."

Thank you Jenny Joseph

That said, I try to wear what I see other women my age (I'm seventy) wearing. If I go out dressed, the LAST thing I want to do is stand out as "odd" or wear clothing heat screams "MAN IN A DRESS!!!" eek
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    You're as old as u feel. I'm 70+ year old guy.

Sherry's 17. What's a young girl to do?
    Usually, get older, sadder, and wiser or at worst, not get any older.
    Myself, I have never felt that I was anything other than who I am, a guy in a skirt who likes skirts below knee to floor length, wears nice fabrics in somewhat conservative but well coordinated colors, uses no makeup, speaks in a somewhat deep and raspy voice, doesn't use or care for makeup (even on the women I like [which also looks ludicrous on me]) and am happy as I am.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Carrie I'm 67 some of my closet looks on a girl in her 20'sor 30's. But I don't go out dressed so I can be whatever age I wish. If I had to dress like an old lady I think I'd stop.
    Angie

I know a lady in her 80's that looks better than 80 % of younger women. She wears dresses that are modest, but she is wow!, And heels, and hose. She works hard physically yet. In a sleeveless navy blue knee length shift dress, she looks amazing! I would not worry what style, for age, but miniskirts and minidresses, maybe not, at 60, unless for in the closet.