Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition is a Process - Ignore the Pom-Poms

Transition is a Process - Ignore the Pom-Poms

Based upon a membership of folk comprised from various walks of life, assorted histories, differing experiences, diverse backgrounds, and folk from different parts of the world, there is a lot of fantastic information, advice, and collective wisdom to be found within the pages of this forum.

And to be sure, over the past four years of my membership, I have certainly benefited more than my fair share from the relationships I have been so fortunate to forge here, and from the written words of many good people on this forum who contribute much, who contribute often, and who contribute selflessly with a genuine desire to make a positive difference in the lives of others - others who are suffering from gender dysphoria and who are in the midst of some very serious, heavy-duty, intense, and often chaotic and brutally disruptive and life altering change and metamorphosis .

For some who come here, just like I did four years ago, it’s pretty much tantamount to a desperate, blind stab in the dark. At the time, I needed something.

I needed something real bad.

I just didn’t know what.

Or rather, for the sake of accuracy, and based exclusively upon the benefit of hindsight, what I knew or did not know back then was pretty much irrelevant in that moment.

Because the real deal was that I was completely unprepared, incapable, and unwilling at the time to acknowledge to myself what I really needed.

Pure, simple, straight to the heart of the matter, I was scared shitless, and scared completely out of my freaking mind.

I was absolutely terrified. Petrified, even.

The fear that I allowed consume me, the fear that I allowed to grow so unabatedly and disproportionately out of control, all but unchecked, unfettered, and spiraling out of control exponentially so day after day after day was paralyzing and debilitating.

Just making it through any given day became a challenge in the extreme.

Just maintaining even the slightest modicum of sanity and control became an impossible task.

I was dysfunctional. I was broken. My brain and my emotions and my feelings and my being were shattered, smashed, crippled, mangled, fractured, and mutilated beyond recognition.

I wanted to die, die, die more times than I care to remember or count.

It was awful. It was horrible.

My gender dysphoria was a beastly, horrifying, bleak, depressing nightmare that had no end in sight.

Perhaps worse than anything else, life seemed completely devoid of any and all hope, as if I had been judged guilty for the unforgivably heinous and despicable crime of being transsexual and sentenced to a lifetime of soul-crushing hopelessness without any possibility for parole.

So why even bother? Why even care? Why even try?

Because none of it mattered anyways. Because I didn’t matter. Because I was worthless. Because there was simply no point.

Except that there was a point, and there is a point, because I *do* matter.

Each and every single one of us matter, in fact.

All trans-folk matter.

We ALL matter, goddamnit, and I know this now with every fiber of my being.

But I didn’t come to this realization overnight, and I wasn’t randomly by sheer happenstance and dumb luck struck by some epiphany that opened up my addled brain and blind eyes to a truth that was so obvious on its face to so many people here.

I had to work for where I am now.

I had to work really, really hard to get to this point in my journey, in fact.

None of this has happened by accident. And many, many good people have contributed much to help me with my transition.

So when I see some folk around here so nonchalantly advise would-be transitioners to just get over their hang-ups, ignore their fear, just do it, and enjoy the ride and have fun along the way, quite frankly, it pisses me off and leaves me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Because at its core, at least in my opinion, for whatever that is worth, transition is a process.

Maybe I am completely wrong about this. Maybe there IS a magic switch in the brain one can simply flip to turn all that is dark and painful and hard relating to gender dysphoria into glitter, magic, rainbows, and unicorn kisses.

But I am pretty sure that that switch doesn’t exist.

In its absence, I am also pretty sure that it is unbelievably reckless, naïve, thoughtless, and dangerously negligent to goad and cheer-lead a would-be transitioner into throwing caution to the wind.

Yeah, I was wrong about many, many things heading into my transition. And the world is not the big, scary, evil place that my fear caused me to believe that it was.

Still.

Transition is a process, and a difficult one at that.

As transition is so frequently wont to do, it is a process that will leave a rather significant swath of collateral damage in one’s wake.

It is a process that will change you in ways you cannot even begin to conceive of, comprehend, or imagine until you are actually proactively going through it. It is a process that will change how everyone around you views you. It is a process that will change how the world treats you.

Transition changes absolutely everything. For good, bad, indifferent, positive, or negative, there is no part of life that goes untouched or is not influenced in some manner, some how, some way by transition.

A close friend of mine constantly reminds me that life is long. Maybe that sounds silly, but I have found it ridiculously and counterproductively easy to get caught up in the moment of any given gender crisis I may be in the midst of. These things happen. They just do. And the thing is, these things are part of the process, too.

But my friend is absolutely spot on – life IS long. Life is also what we make it to be. Life is the single longest thing each and every one of us will ever experience. From the moment of birth right up until the very moment of passing – there is nothing longer to any given individual than his or her own respective life.

And as is so frequently the case in damn near every aspect of life in general - there are no short cuts. This proposition and basic tenet of life holds particularly true here - there are no short cuts in transition. Period.

Transition is a process, and life is long.

So beware the short-cut, rah-rah, pink-fog, life-is-all-about-fun cheerleaders.

These folk have NO idea what they are talking about. No idea whatsoever. As in absolutely none.

They sit back, relax, and with no basis or foundation in real life experience, they write from a risk-free position of comfort, all the while safely tucked away behind their computer screens, blissfully unaware of the true realities associated with those who suffer from real gender dysphoria, about how silly it is to not be happy, as if that should solve everybody’s problems.

The thing is, though, that these folk do not understand. They do not understand because they cannot understand. It is simply impossible for them to understand. They will never, ever, ever understand. Not ever. They are clueless. But they think they know. They think they get it. Some of them even can talk a semi-decent game. At the end of the day, though, they are bereft of all relevant substance. There is none to be had from these folk.

And yeah, I get it – most of them mean well, and many of them are compassionate and care. As well intentioned as they may be, however, this does not change the fact that such people will be forever clueless through no fault of their own. It also does not change the fact that because of this, that some continue to insist on speaking to issues they know nothing about, that they can be dangerously seductive in their naivete and in their substantively hollow and meaningless words.

Make absolutely no mistake about this, though. No matter how much they talk, no matter how much static they introduce, no matter how charming or ideal or warm and fuzzy and comforting their words, no matter what happens thereafter or how it ultimately goes down in the end, they will not be the ones who pay the price or the consequences for a transition gone awry.

Sure, some of ‘em may feel bad if things tank and go south. Maybe some of ‘em will even offer a good “keep your chin up, relax, and just breathe” or two for good measure. But all to what end?

These things don't help. They can't help. And because they can't help, a best case scenario is that these words affect no change at all and have no bearing on the life of the transitioner. A worst case scenario is that they serve to contribute to a blown up life.

Transition is a serious business. Transition should be and needs to be treated seriously.

The good news – so I’ve learned over the past couple of years – is that transition is absolutely, one hundred percent doable. And with the evolving climate of today’s increasingly more socially aware world, it’s more doable than it ever was before.

The fact remains, though, that transition is a process, and transition is all about process.

Process, process, process.

So to any up-and-coming transitioners who care to consider my two-cents worth, do yourself a serious favor and ignore all of the rah-rah-life-is-too-short-do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-and-have-fun-being-yourself bullshit around here.

Because if there is anything more worthless than my words on this forum, it’s their words on this forum.

I’m just sayin’ . . . .
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-06-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Sorry, English only, no exceptions

Just saying...
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

Nice post Anne. Just sayin
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Banned Read only
    Well said Anne. I am glad you have learned that this is real, it's scary, it's out of control, and there are no short cuts. It's all or nothing. There is nothing to do except go for the ride once you take that first step. However, we need to talk. The world is the big, scary, evil place you thought it was but after going through all of the things transition puts you through, the world can be handled. Just sayin'....

I hear you loud and clear on that. Well Said

Gold Member
    Am I not buying you enough candy canes, flowers, and singing you love songs?

Nice thread Anne!

What about people in tranny abyss that don't fit in anywhere, not fulltime, like me? *looks for cheerleader outfit*

Ann first congratulations on your transition. Secondly I myself is just starting the long road journey of transitioning myself and your words are true life is long and it is hard. But it is doable. I'm not sure what is going to happen next but I feel the same as you did fear and the thought of not knowing what to expect is difficult to understand sometimes. If not more than I think.and I wanted to thank you for your help with a few things that I am unsure of in the transitioning that make me feel a little more confident within myself and for that thank you!!!

Anne, you have some really great points here. It's so true, that transition is hard reality. Gender dysphoria is hard reality. Everyone of us who is TS has been through tremendous suffering through gender dysphoria, and endures a long, windy, uphill, transition process.

However, I would like to add a different perspective.

I believe there is room for positive attitudes, and for some cheerleading. As long as it's not cheerleading out of control. As long as it's in moderation. As long as we accept and are sympathetic to when we experience downers in our transition. Oh, and GD is nothing but downers.

We do celebrate milestones and victories as we trudge a difficult road.

We feel refreshed and alive again from living authentically, and from being on hormones.

We feel a certain sense of joy when we see our face and body feminizing, and as we get more accepted as a woman socially.

I am not a rah, rah, enthusiastic, teenage acting like person. Far from it. I know people in the trans community who act more rah rah than I do. But I am not a sour dour person either. I guess I am a mellowly positive person.

And maybe I am biased, because my father is so negative about life. He is not trans anything, but he carries a negative attitude about everything in life. Maybe I am just tired of his negative attitude.

It's good to have both perspectives though, the positive, and the negative. We need both to keep a balance. We need the tougher perspectives to keep the softer perspectives in check, and we need the softer perspectives to keep the tougher perspectives in check.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 04-06-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Michelle, I'm fairly confident that Anne was not saying we should not encourage people or share in their joy as they see progress in their transition.

What she was reacting to was the sort of posts that we have started to see creeping in here when a member comes to the TS forum for support in finding out whether they need to transition and instead of offering real support (which always includes warning of the less good bits as well as encouraging when the person appears to be going in the right direction) all they say to the person is "You go gurl, its no-one's business but your own what lifestyle choices you make!" or "It's up to you how you choose to be happy, just leave others to cope with your lifestyle choice".

Worse still are the posts that respond to transsexuals pointing out the need to be sure of what you are doing by saying words to the effect of "ignore those people, they're just trying to keep you out of their club. Ignore them and be happy!".

True support is never just about cheer leading, it is about being prepared to warn people about possible difficulties ahead, checking with them that they have made the right decision and being there for them in the bad times as well as the good. It is also about being prepared to stand up to the transphobes who sometimes come to try to insult us and make things worse all in the name of a so-called "reality check".
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Cheerleading is a good word because you can be very positive and helpful without cheerleading...To me, cheerleading means encouraging a person to make life changing decisions and take permanent life changing action with no substance behind it and no regard for the person on the other side...

Cheerleading is about the cheerleader

I can't think of a group of people that have shared more intimate life details than transitioned transsexuals and get beat up for it.

and yet we are chastised all the time...too negative, too critical, i got called hateful the other dayLOL..."dont transition unless you have to" makes no sense, you don't love your wife enough, you think you are so great, you are an elite transsexual hierarchy, on and on it goes.

One thing i know is that perhaps the number one tactic for a transsexual to survive is a good support network..one or two people can make a huge difference...and i know lots of people can't get that support in their neighborhood or town or they are too afraid to reach out for it...

..this isn't about right or wrong..

any thoughtful person should be willing to engage in a reasonable conversation that is directed at comments they made...if you can't back up your comments with responsible follow up and practical real world ideas then you have to consider why you posted.

Wow. Very good post.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Anne, I am in tears reading this post, now a second time. Replace the 4 with 5 years, and the pain of our journeys is the same. It's as if you had a camera watching me last year as the crushing dysphoria enveloped me like a python squeezing me.

Wow.

Thank you soooo very much for this incredibly long and deep post. This is my life completely, as if you were watching my thoughts and emotions on a remote screen, capturing all the data in real time...not just seeing the data, but feeling the confusion, the pain, the fear and the horror.

Nothing keeps me more grounded and humble than remembering the hell I came out of last year.

Conversely, Nothing gives me great hope that the future indeed is bright like seeing those who are further down this path than I who are smiling and living it.

Sure, there are always deep challenges. But the past is just that. Keeping it there is often difficult yet we must deal with it daily, if not hourly, to make progress.

A lyric I heard years ago was "the way out is the way in". Nowhere has that been so true as this transition...reliving all those experiences from the past with the new dysphoria-proof goggles on so I can see what **really** was going on back then...then feeling the emotions those memories bring back, then finding resolve, then finally moving on. I swear this happens hourly sometimes. It's like a whirlwind. A good, healing, whirlwind.

A whirlwind where that abysmal past has found healing, finally. Where those dark days of not knowing why I was singled out, seemingly, of being the only trans person in my church or neighborhood, and certainly my home, makes it so lonely. Yet spending most of my days not knowing I was this way....so weird in a way.

Those not challenged with this path of life are clueless with any of this. They cannot understand. Huge Kudos to those who attempt to understand from the heart-level, They 'get' it better than those trying to understand purely from the logic point of view...which is not really possible in my mind, as they need to go thru the constant torment having the wrong physical body & wrong base hormones brings to an individual.
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Anne, I can understand a lot of what you write about. I've experienced some of it, but in general my path has been less traumatic. I don't believe that transition has to be a trial. With support it can be a positive experience and it is perfectly acceptable to enjoy the experience.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

With all due respect, Eryn, did you even *read* my post? Because if you did, surely you would have noticed that the subject matter of my post relates to how transition is a PROCESS. In fact, aside from having written the word "process" within the body of my post numerous times, it also says it right there in the very title of the thread itself! So whether or not transition is a "trial" is something altogether different. As for the process you are going through during your own transition - I'm happy for you that it is not a trial, and that it is instead something you report you enjoy. But it is STILL a process, is it not? Regardless of how much fun you may be having along the way . . . .

Anne, I did read your post and I do agree that it is a process, one that I am currently going through.

I also read 1500 words saying how terrible it was for you with the strong implication that the process has to be terrible for it to be authentic.

That is where we disagree.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I don't get that at all from Anne's post that it has to be the way transition goes. You are correct, many transitions do go much more smoothly. But it is a personal experience and we all have difficulties with different processes during different timelines. Your are living in the middle, which has it's own challenges, but if things get too dicey, you can go back to the safety of your birth gender. Those of us that live full time don't have that luxury. We need to deal with the issue head on. We can't escape to the male safety and comfort zone.

Her transition has gone exactly as she had described it. It's hard, it's difficult. She has endured much more pain and abuse than an individual should be exposed to. But that is her experience and it holds more value than someone that just waltzes through transition with nary a scratch. Not all transitions are as difficult as Anne's. But to suggest otherwise would be a disservice to those considering full transition.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Anne, I did read your post and I do agree that it is a process, one that I am currently going through.

I also read 1500 words saying how terrible it was for you with the strong implication that the process has to be terrible for it to be authentic.

That is where we disagree.

Over 1,500 words, huh? Okay, you completely busted me. I am guilty of composing and submitting the occasional long and over-wordy post. I find it curious when folk feel compelled to point out to me how many words I have written, because it's almost always within the context of a "disagreement." Almost as if that is an argument meant to somehow discredit my words in and of itself.

As for your disagreement, Eryn, disagree with me all you want. But I challenge you to go through all of my approximately 1,250 posts here and find even ONE time where I have either written or stood for the proposition that transition has to be terrible to be authentic.

Or, I could just save you the time of going through all of those ridiculously over-lengthy posts and just tell ya that I have never ONCE written such a thing or implied it.

Sheesh. What a completely irrational and silly thing to accuse me of!!

I am not the beloved super model rock star transchick that you are out in the real world, Eryn. Nor do I presume to be.

But there is nothing here for you to disagree with. Unless, as you have done with some of my posts in the past, you simply enjoy disagreeing for the simple exercise and enjoyment of disagreeing.

I wish you well, Eryn. I wish you the absolute best. And the easier you have it, the more you enjoy your life, the more fun you are able to take from everything - that's great for you!! And truly and sincerely I am happy for you. I begrudge you nothing. Have the absolute time of your life and make the most out of everything.

Because believe me, my preference is NOT chaos. My preference is NOT pain. My preference is not to have to go through tons and tons of shit to get from Point A to Point Z.

And I can sure as hell tell you that my preference AIN'T insanity.

So if you have it easier - yay you, and keep doing what you're doing. It's all good.

But I am not here to write about your life and your experiences. You've done that yourself with the almost 11,000 posts you have submitted here over the past several years (see what I did there?).

Rock on, Eryn, and keep doing your thing. Just as I shall continue to do my thing, such that it is.

The only thing I ask of you is that you please forego the attempt to twist my words to make them into something that they are not intended to be.
    Last edited by Anne2345; 04-13-2015 at 08:34 AM.

One of the things i hate most about this forum is how people will twist other people's words to make their own points or just to create a disagreement.
    The whole strawman thing ...

Especially when an OP is a clear well thought out statement.

and for the record, many transitions are very difficult if not terrible, many are not and the rest in between...that's true of lots of difficult life changing things...
    that's kind of a captain obvious statement but it highlights that there is nothing to argue about..

If you feel the need to start an argument, i'd recommend going to an argument clinic.

Banned Read only
    While I agree, many, even most, transitions are terrible there are those that are wonderful with full support of family, friends, and medical personnel. Just because you had a hard time it does not mean everyone does.

Untitled
    Jorja is right, the unfortunate side of experiences is that the bad far outweigh the good. I have read numerous posts on this side of the forum where the member has gone through hell and their family has been taken with them, during the transition process.

The "good" transitions are rarely, but not never, talked about here. I believe that, at least from my experience, some cannot believe that there is any easy path and therefore those who get a smooth ride rarely post as it may be seen a matter of "rubbing the nose in it".

Of course I may be wrong
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    While I agree, many, even most, transitions are terrible there are those that are wonderful with full support of family, friends, and medical personnel. Just because you had a hard time it does not mean everyone does.
    In what way does this invalidate the original poster's argument that transition is a process?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    The "good" transitions are rarely, but not never, talked about here. I believe that, at least from my experience, some cannot believe that there is any easy path and therefore those who get a smooth ride rarely post as it may be seen a matter of "rubbing the nose in it".
    I actually agree with this. I am one of those relatively smooth transitions so far. Of course, no transition is completely smooth. When I came out to my father, he did not take it very well. Other than that, and a few hiccups, I've been lucky compared to many others. I actually feel guilty even posting this, or when I post about the good things that have happened to me in transition, because I feel it is showing a lack of empathy towards those who were less fortunate.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Anne you would be a wonderful mentor and resource for youth at a GLSEN or PFLAG meeting or conference!

Each stage from coming out to yourself, to coming out to others, to making a decision to transition, to actually transitioning, to continuing to live as you want, is a complete and distinct a process often with-sub levels of unimaginable human complexities. And through it all, no matter how much or little support you have, it is a journey you take alone.