While I am in no way defending what the wife did, especially the public embarrassment, I think there is a vital point missing here. I do not think it is power, control or hypocrisy. I think this is about a lack of respect on both ends. Christina, YOU KNEW that your wife would not like the idea of you having ear rings. You called her from the ER that you were having chest pains, and wow, you are surprised your wife is not just going to just stay at work? So while she is so worried about you, and takes off from work to be with you, that is just a typical sign of a woman who loves her husband. Granted, what she did next could hardly describe that. A simple we will talk about the ear rings when we get home would have been much better. Then she could have voiced her issues, not embarrass you and make a scene.

Back to you though, what did you really expect? you knew it would not go over well period and then you surprise her, not even discuss ear rings, you just went and did it. I am not saying you needed to ask her permission to wear them. But you definitely should have told her you were going to and at least prepare her for it. You both could really use a kick in the pants for your selfishness and lack of thought or consideration for the other.