Thread: Does your SO like the same styles that you like to wear?

Does your SO like the same styles that you like to wear?

I was going to write this post as an answer to another thread but decided to do it as a thread. Here is the thought. My wife of 67 years has never been a woman who wanted new things as long as she didn't really need them. I always liked to buy her new things that I thought were attractive. When ever I bought her something she would always thank me and the item would go into the closet and unless I asked her to wear it it would just hang there. She just is not a clothes horse.

My problem is that I have to be very careful that I don't outclass her. I do wear prettier shoes than her and she seems to like it although she doesn't see how I can walk in the stiletto heels.

I just was wandering if some of us might be out dressing our SO and are just not aware of what this might be doing to the relationship.

Rhanda
    Last edited by Rhanda; 04-09-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Rhanda, My SO dresses up when I do and I appreciate that. I must say that our styles are far different, yet we agree on many things when we are shopping. I do wear six inch heels sometimes and I'm six foot. She wears tall heels also yet is five foot. Perhaps get her interested in the clothes you wear and maybe she will get with the program.
    Part Time Girl

My wife is more casual. I tend to like to dress more classic.
    She prefers slacks and tops and I skirts and tops with heels and hose.
    I can be casual as well and she can be more classic at times.

Generally if you look in the lingerie drawer the stockings, matching bra and panty sets and lacy things are mine.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Wife and I dress very different.
    It is obvious from recent pictures that I love the dark look, mostly black all the time. She is generally a more colorful dresser, which is fine.

Just about the only things I'll wear that are not black will sometimes be some heels, lipstick, and a collar/choker that isn't black. Wife doesn’t understand why I love wearing black/dark clothing, but she still thinks I look good and passable when dressed up.

She doesn’t wear high heels, at least none over about two inches high. She is amazed how I walk in my five to eight inch stilettos and heel-less heels. I don’t think is jealous of my smooth ability to walk gracefully in them. I of course share, but she will sometimes wear a pair but just lounge on the bed. Or we’ll sport ‘em for “fun” :P
    I really believe she could walk in the five inch heels I have with a small platform.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

My SO and I have similar taste in somethings but for the most part she wouldn't wear most of what I chose as "my style". When we are out shopping (because we do all of our shopping together now) if she sees something she likes and comments something along the lines of "I wish I could wear this" I stay away from whatever it is even if I would like to have it. She helps pick out a lot of what I wear so I don't feel I out class her by any shot. Besides she's a rea; woman and it hard to compete with that.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    My wife doesn't like the same styles as me, that's for sure, but I certainly like some of her wardrobe items. I like more flamboyant outfits than she, but I could never outclass her though. She looks stunning in dresses, so very much a woman, that I can't keep my hands off of her .

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Life before C-D (i.e. BC): we often found ourselves in matching colours, identical tones, probably mostly.

Life After C-D (i.e. AD): we have matching tunics, like similar styles. I could never outdress her cos she's beautiful and I'm a bloke in a skirt!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

My wife and I share many tops. She and I wear about the same size in tops. I'm bigger than she is in the shoulders but she loves larger fitting and loose clothing. We both enjoy skirts and a few dresses, that we have that fit her but fit me and maybe just a hair tight which I enjoy anyway. She hardly ever wears heels except to a few event, I love wearing my heels and can actually out walk her in heels. We do enjoy much of the same colors in lipsticks and polish. She doesn't wear panty hose very much anymore but I love them. She will dress in garters and hose every now and then as we enjoy playing sexy dress up. If you can imagine at our age that still happens and we are still in love as much as we have ever been. I would say it's love because we've been together since she was eighteen years old and we are both in our mid sixties. I really think a few times I have out dressed her as she is now starting to go for the more comfortable look.

Not really. My wife is way more casual than I am.

Now I don't get to dress with my wife very often and when I do it's only at her request.

That being said, I have never seen my wife in sexy lingerie, but she has bought and seen me in some very sexy lingerie at least 5 times.

Platinum Member
    Hi Rhanda, My wife and I have very different styles She dresses her age 71 and conservative I on the other hand an
    not going to dress like a 72yr. old lady, more like a 40 or 50 year old.
    I can't remember the last time she wore a dress or skirt and I can't remember the last time that I didn't wear a dress or skirt.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Some years ago I realized that "I was chasing their style"..My presentation always incorporated some of my past love interests. My 13 yr old daughter gave me two dresses for Christmas,so I guess I have moved well past that! Acceptance takes work...

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Sometimes we do have similar styles, and she likes to wear some of my skirts, dresses and tops that are smaller.

Reality Check
    My wife seldom wears skirts and almost never wears a dress. It pretty much takes a funeral or wedding to get her out of her stretch pants or shorts. She does "fancy up" on the blouses though. We are retired so it's not like she has to dress for work though.

I, like most crossdressers, tend to try to reinforce my femininity by wearing skirts. I do wear jeans from time to time.

Hey Rhanda,

Like so many here, my wife is a jeans and t-shirt girl. When I dress, it is rarely in pants at all. However, in the dress and skirt department, if she is to wear one we have the same taste. We shop together, prefer to be at the same stores and we pick out items for one another as well as ourselves. We do not have any identical clothes but when one of us says,"I like this." It is always followed up with,"For who?" There have been times when we've tried on the same outfit and she has said to me,"That looks better on you than me." and got quite down on herself. My reply was always,"That may be true, I refuse to argue with you but I can only wear it at home. You could wear it out." deliberately and truthfully being down on myself about being relegated to dressing at home.

Hugs,
    -E
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E

Reality Check
    Once, my wife and I were at JC Pennys, checking out with a pile of skirts and blouses. The sales clerk looked at me and said "Nothing for you today sir?". My wife looked at me and ginned. I said "Nope, I'm just along to pay the bill." We had a good chuckle on the way out.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanda View Post

I just was wandering if some of us might be out dressing our SO and are just not aware of what this might be doing to the relationship.

Rhanda

OUT-dressing or OVER-dressing. Big difference. I suspect that most wives are privately thinking,"What the hell is wearing, we're going to grocery store!" Natural women dress for both comfort AND venue appropriateness. For many cross dressers, neither the former nor later seem to matter.

My wife and I have quite a few Twinsie outfits that we like to wear to parties and events, but otherwise she is a jeans girl while I prefer skirts. but lately she has been encouraging me to try more casual clothing, slacks with a pretty top, versus skirt and heels. I like her participation so much that I usually take her suggestions.

About the envy thing, she will always be a voluptuous woman and I will always be a skinny old man with a belly. if we were both wearing potato sacks, she would outclass me by a mile. To help keep that balance, I try to shop for her as much as for me, and to spend about the same on each of us. new dress for me equals new outfit of her choice for her. that approach avoids a lot of needless static, we find.

Outdrawing my SO is a thought I have frequently. My wife and I have conversations about overdressing and whether or I not I'm blending in or standing out. I prefer to blend in, so we both look at what I'm planning to wear and adjust it accordingly. This means I'm starting to lean more toward jeans and tops with heels and less (boo hoo) to skirts, which I adore.

Our views on fashion are quite different.

She is a conservative dresser and I am bordering on the adventurous.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

For the most part we are in parity. The main differences are that she likes to "match" her clothes and accessories in the same color, while I prefer to vary colors for tops and bottoms and include an intriguing accent or two. Also, I like lace and a little more femme in my choices and she prefers more mainstream (less frills and bling.) Neither of us do big heels.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My wife and I have different tastes in clothes, but we do share some things.
    Dana Ryan