Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the thrill of going out in a dress

Gold Member
    O' Yes, I wish I could wear my dress or skirts out of the house.
    I was very daring a few weeks back, I wore my skirt to the drive through
    ad Araby's. It was both scaring and thrilling, But it was dark out.
    Maybe some day.
    Rader

I do like shopping and dining wearing a dress.

Silver Member
    Wearing a dress out is truly an exciting experience. I can remember the first time and it was long ago. I especially liked the feeling of my dress being blown by the wind. One of the other things that was fun was wearing petticoats back in the 50s.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    To me dressing is as much about being comfortable in my own skin as being comfortable in the clothes. You are much further along that path than I. If the circumstances aren't comfortable to me, no way am I going to dress up. Call it being closeted if you like, and yes I do know how sensational it feels to wear a dress outdoors, but I'm a long way from walking down my street in a miniskirt!

On the other hand I might consider walking down yours...
    I used to have a short attention spa

5-hour round trip in the car in skirt (purple) and top (pink) to collect my daughter from ex's house, oh yes i enjoyed that!
    Nikki i can see you now, so here's the deal, you can do that in my street if i can do that in yours!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

When I do have the time to totally fully dress and look in the mirror and tell myself hot I look, I then proceeded to tell myself " what a shame, all dressed and nowhere to go". Locked doors and curtains closed. I think I know what your talking about.

Ive been out a few times in the daytime to the shops and it was OK. I went into the wig shop where I bought my wig and the girls were sensational and made me feel like a million dollars. The shops were OK and no trouble. I dont think I was 'made' as such. I went for a coffee and had to ask for a 'long black' (Black coffee) and I know my voice isnt good but still the shop was full and I got my coffee in good time.
    I live near the coast and went to the local beach shops during school holidays. Again to the coffee shop, this time my voice cracked and I had to ask again. The SA looked but didnt bother.
    I dont go out anymore because for me it was to prove I could do it and I can, but I feel silly as I know inside I am not a woman so what am I trying to prove?
    I much prefer going into shops in DRAB and asking to try on skirts etc. This is so much fun as you get to chat up the SA's, try on cool clothes and shoes and then see the assistants shock when you actually buy something. This for me is much more fun than parading around a shopping centre as if Im on my way to a fancy dress party.
    Each to their own....Its a strange world and what is so good is that we are not the strange ones....

Ellie

I hope that one day I'll work up the nerve (and the ability to make it look my makeup wasn't applied like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gId2HsHvSgs) to go out in public. It's such a shame that I live so far from the city. I wouldn't dare go out locally. Not the safest area and I almost always see someone from work because it's such a small town.
    -Lucy

"Does anyone else feel like its really all about being "out", and that dressing at home is great but not enough? "

I'm sat dressed in a LBD, heels and a wig with no opportunity to go out but if one arose then yes I'd be out like a shot. Being a recent convert to the joys of actually going shopping dressed it's just a great experience but one that quickly normalizes. Being out there I suppose validates what I do.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Yes, I have loved being out in a dress. I found it easier to go to places in the evening ,like bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, even doing this with other CD people from a support group was not okay with my SO. So after the swearing off and purging for a couple of years, I am back to dressing behind closed doors. I keep myself fit through regular yoga practice, and would love to back out in a dress. What I really need is the business trip option. I live in Atlanta and looking to reconnect. Wistfully, CarlyJ

Reality Check
    Being out in public and (hopefully) being taken as a woman is indeed a big thrill. Because I don't want my neighbors to know I am a crossdresser, I must underdress and change in the car in a parking lot away from my neighborhood and do the same before coming home. It's a hassle, of course but it's worth it. I look different enough as a woman that I don't think I would be recognized away from my own neighborhood. I usually walk around the malls or in the tourist part of my city. And I dress as much like the genetic women as possible. No high heels or too short skirts.

I have never done this, but it's only a matter of time. I think that going for a drive will be my first step. And i like the idea of maybe going for a little walk. I'm working on getting the right clothes. That's a process in itself.

Never gone out in a full length dress yet as the full on dress thingy isn't me how ever mini skirts yup! Sometimes with leggings and a cute pair of ballet flats on and the first girly t-shirt that comes to hand out of my draw lol, having done it all my life I just take it as normal stuff, I hope you folks pluck up the courage to do it as its a fab feeling walking about in something other than jeans and trousers etc, just don't get to self conscious otherwise it will just ruin your experience trust me.... I know I know you think the whole world is looking but they are not. Enjoy your self.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie52 View Post
    I went for a coffee and had to ask for a 'long black' (Black coffee)
    As opposed to a Flat White. And yes, I've been there...

Quote Originally Posted by skislopes-cd View Post
    I have never done this, but it's only a matter of time. I think that going for a drive will be my first step. And i like the idea of maybe going for a little walk. I'm working on getting the right clothes. That's a process in itself.
    But, don't let that slow you down. Just remember, it's never going to be perfect...

DeeAnn

Pamela,
    My early going "out" in a dress did make me feel I had made the final step.

Mostly I had been wearing skirts and blouses and this was also exhilerating, especially the multi layered slips I wore.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Of course its all about going out? There's no point in looking Fabulous if you can't strut your stuff girl!

Banned Read only
    I know it is just personal choice as to how someone dresses. My wife hardly wears a dress. When she does it is usually to a wedding. Those events are few and far between. She usually wears nice pants and a colorful top. Shoes? Due to foot surgery she cannot wear heels. So, her footwear is stylish "flats." I see many very attractive women wearing pants/jeans and stylish tops. I also see many attractive women who are drop dead gorgeous wearing jeans and a tee shirt. There's been some threads concerning femininity. Femininity has to be well based in the manner in which she carries herself. A woman who is attractively dressed, whether in a dress or not, totally destroys her air of femininity if vulgarity spews forth from her mouth. I know I have digressed form Pamela's thoughts, but..

I read and see pictures on this site of presentations where one is attired in jeans/pants and a plain top. I really do not understand. I missed Karen Hutton on this site. She is a girl of my own heart. I do not own a single pair of women's jeans/pants. Frankly, jeans/pants seem to detract from the inner person who compels me to emulate her. So, and I guess it is due to the era in which I grew up (1950's and 1960's) that I/she will only wear a dress. When I have been out in public the just loved the feel of the movement of a dress and slip across my body. I love the feel of the breeze caressing my legs. I love the way the breeze plays with the loose hairs of my wig.

I see absolutely no sense in wearing women's jeans/pants around the house. I see no point to it. If I want to dress as an attractive woman, why would I wear the clothing women have co-opted from men?

I really do not see the allure of wearing women's jeans/pants. This is my personal preference. If I want to feel comfortable in jeans, I'll reach for my well worn jeans, some of which my wife will not be seen with me in public. If I want to feel feminine, it's always a pretty dress.

Staying at home is not enough. Especially now that I have kids and cannot dress freely. But, after a lot of going out, it is not enough. I am starting to want a project to work on or a class to attend in a dress. Maybe volunteer work. Was it Rockafeller who said when asked how much money was enough, "Just a little bit more." It is that way for me. I never get satisfied.

Oh, and I own some women's slacks and I think one day, I might try to wear them. But that day hasn't come yet!

I agree for years stayed home or inside. Being as a woman is very exciting and makes me feel even more fem.

I love feeling the breeze caress me with my dress, over my full slip, over my bra, panties, and stockings!

You have to go outside to feel it.

I am not passable and don't think I could ever be. But I have recently gone out a couple times after midnight wearing either a skirt/women's tee, dress or skirt and blouse with hose/flats, bra with forms and my new wig to convenience stores. No makeup at all (it wouldn't help!
    I'm a long way from doing it in the day time. But I have considered taking a driving vacation in this semi-en femme style. Maybe one day.

Jen

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyTV View Post
    I am not passable and don't think I could ever be. But I have recently gone out a couple times after midnight wearing either a skirt/women's tee, dress or skirt and blouse with hose/flats, bra with forms and my new wig to convenience stores. No makeup at all (it wouldn't help!
    I'm a long way from doing it in the day time. But I have considered taking a driving vacation in this semi-en femme style. Maybe one day.

Jen
    Be careful out there! Maybe your neighborhood is better than mine, but making a habit of going to convenience stores after midnight is a good way to get mugged where I live. Getting mugged as a guy is a bad experience, to put it mildly. Getting mugged as a girl is a whole different level of bad experience. I will not bore you or frighten you with how I know this.

Dressing at home always feels like it's not enough. When I want to dress, if I don't have a place to go, I don't really want to do it. For me, going out dressed up allows me to be me and being in public validates me whether others approve or not. <3