Thread: I may be more out than I expected

I may be more out than I expected

Normal routine this morning. Up early on my day off with my wife to the mall. Her day for pedicure, my day for manicure. I'm wearing an Old Navy sweater, Jeans, penny loafer heels, lite makeup and jewelry. While getting my nails done, I look over to see my wife and see... one of my female co-workers. I work in a large facility of 200+ employees. I don't know her by name, but I know her - and I think she knows me. Guess we'll see how things go when I go back to work....

Oooops,
    Wish you the best.
    Bree
    Brandy Mathews

Have to say, I'm always surprised at how few people recognize me en femme. You just don't fit their mental image so they dismiss it. Unless you have a beard or something! lol Some coworkers can be jerks, though.
    Last edited by Lexi_83; 04-10-2015 at 01:59 PM.

You never know she might not have recognized you, fingers and toes crossed!!

Sometimes I don't recognize male co-workers outside of work. I think it has a lot to do with the environment you're used to seeing them in.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i've had that same experience a couple of times, well very similar any way, coworker and out dressed. handled it very poorly and tired to deny it the first time--went very bad. second time i smiled and just said: "it was a girls day out, sorry you had to see my hands look like claws, but she fixed me up." then i laughed a bit and so did she. she was very cool with it and we've been friends ever since. Seattle though... it's a fairly liberal community.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli View Post
    i've had that same experience a couple of times, well very similar any way, coworker and out dressed. handled it very poorly and tired to deny it the first time--went very bad. //
    It's always really scary to be so open but it almost always works out for the best.

Banned Read only
    Lisa ,
    If you're seen out of context and wearing something unfamiliar she may not even register, not unless she knows your wife and she makes a visual connection !

One of the biggest assists to passing is the out of context card as described by Teresa.

Years ago I was introduced to well known friends at parties and they did not recognise me until I was pointed out to them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My co-worker came up to me Monday and mentioned that she saw me at the salon. I told her that she was sitting next to my wife. Other small talk, then off to work. But.... yesterday, another employee came and asked me about it. So.. the word is out.

Obviously this doesn't pertain to you, but I have a very difficult time recognizing the people at work that I don't see all the time when we are out of context. Even our station wear, which is pretty much a shirt and pants, makes all the difference in the world when we are not in them. I have a hard enough time saying Hi if I'm not sure if they are who I think they are. I don't know if I'd ever recognize someone who was dressed?

no one will have much of a problem recognizing me as all I do is add a little makeup and comb my hair down instead of in a pony tail...