Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 50 shades of "Passing" and "Self confidence".

The bottom line with me RS is that I'm confident in myself when en femme. Therefore I could care less if I "pass" or what others think as I'm doing it for myself, not them.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think I pass except up close some of the time. That said it really doesn't matter to me as long as I am treated with politely. It seems that women get it, more than men and treat us better, men just get a confused look sometimes.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    The bottom line with me RS is that I'm confident in myself when en femme. Therefore I could care less if I "pass" or what others think as I'm doing it for myself, not them.
    Too bad that isn't your photo in your Avatar, Kate. Then, I could use u as the Poster Girl for this thread!

Those that say they don't care if they pass or not and yet, have an Avatar pic that indicates they most likely pass nearly all the time!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I know I don't pass. And it does bother me, but I don't really have any self confidence no matter what I'm wearing, it's just less noticeable most of the time. I really envy those that have the doesn't matter i'm happy sort of mentally, I really wish that there was a switch that I could throw.

But I do think that some here on this thread are under rating themselves a bit.

Although I have fully transitioned should not make a difference whether I pass or not as those things are sight unseen. I fit into the 95% yet there were times I did not feel that way in the beginning and over time confidence kicked in and that made all the difference in being seen and treated as a female.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

In that I am perfectly happy and comfortable shopping in a women's store as a non-girl, I guess I wouldn't pass at all, but then, I don't really care. But I suppose when out en femme, and in that I am a newly minted out girl, I get a lot of second looks, so maybe I pass sometimes initially, but not on the second look. I really have no idea, I present as female for me, not for others.
    Chrissi

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Being seen as full time transitioned is what matters. People then show respect because they sense that you are living as they see you. //
    There may be a lot of truth in this. Wearing high quality clothing that fits and being well put together means most people won't be sure. Women are far more observant and sometimes I get a knowing smile - but not usually a comment.

Guys mostly walk by, glance at your boobs, possibly look at your face, and keep walking. Also if you are anywhere near a gay district passing is twice as difficult.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I have a bit of a different take on this: I have come upon two of us out in a public setting where I could watch others, hoping to learn about what works and what doesn't about passing. One was in Starbucks and I only noticed because I had time to study her while we waiting in line. I was on the fence until she ordered and her voice added the rest of the weight to understand what I was seeing. I ordered and was in line behind her waiting for my tea, and no one paid the slightest attention to her. We actually struck up a conversation and I ended up giving her directions (she was just passing through). I was incredibly impressed with the fact that no one gave her a second look, and her slightly male voice didn't even make the barista twitch in the slightest. If anyone noticed, they escaped my gaze.

The second was in SF waiting for a subway. I first noticed her because her hair was just a little too platinum blond, a little to well done, and a little too well dressed for the subway. Yet, no one seemed to give her a second glance, or even pay any attention to her at all. On the subway I had a view of the car and no one paid her any attention. As it happens, I got off at her stop and was behind her for a few minutes. Yet again, there was absolutely no response.

Both of this women could have been transitioned, as they were clearly comfortable in their own skins. They knew what it took to move and act as a woman would, even though one was a bit over dressed for the occasion. I've had a couple other experiences, but those two impressed me so much. The keys were confidence, good makeup, generally logical clothes, and knowing how to move, act, and use language as a woman. They had no obvious fear, and it showed! But, it was also clear that being dressed and coiffed perfectly does make one stand out!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    0%. Hell, you were sitting with me when we were approached in the Bellagio by on fellow who wanted a photo with us and later when the woman at the Cosmopolitan dropped off that wonderful supportive note. They all saw us as crossdressers, but they looked at us as 1) strangers they'd never encounter again and 2) brave to be exercising our desire to join the wider world and sharing our authentic selves with them. I went out other times and got ma'am, sir ah er, ma'am, and sir, so I don't stand up under much of an exam before they know. Mostly I don't care.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Too bad that isn't your photo in your Avatar, Kate. Then, I could use u as the Poster Girl for this thread!
    you can use mine
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I don't really know how often I pass, but I think it's pretty high... probably 85% or so. I've never been "sir'd" while en femme, so that's a good sign I guess!

From a distance of 5 metres or more, I pass 100% because I'm slim and short even for a GG. It's just close up that problems are noticeable.

IMG_0304a.jpg

As u wish, Lorilea! With pleasure. As u should pass with the best of us!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    // They all saw us as crossdressers, but they looked at us as 1) strangers they'd never encounter again and 2) brave to be exercising our desire to join the wider world and sharing our authentic selves with them. //
    It took me a while (and way too much anxiety) to learn that while someone might recognize who I wasn't, it was very unlikely they would recognize who I was!

I think I can pass well enough at first glance...at least I think so! However any closer inspection would give it away.
    Certainly the voice would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi01 View Post
    I think I can pass well enough at first glance...at least I think so! However any closer inspection would give it away.
    Ever heard of a "50/50" paint job on a car? "Looks good at 50 feet and 50mph." I'm going for "escalator-close."

It really is hard to be sure. Any time I have been dressed relatively modestly I think I have gotten away with it. I have never had a long conversation with anyone en femme and if I have been clocked at a checkout it is purely down to the nervousness exuding from every pore. that said I am often mistaken on the phone for a woman so my voice may not be a giveaway.

I'm going with a conservative 80%

Banned Read only
    I'd say at least 25% but less than 50%. I've actually not been read on an elevator, but my guess is that the woman had been doin' something before I saw her and she was not entirely in contact with reality.

Anyway, as I have done no vocal training and probably never will, the above percentages drop like a rock if I need to speak...

DeeAnn

I see myself in the 10 percent passible range, as long as I don't open my mouth!

For me it is 75%+. The rest may know but do not react to me as a "man" dressed as a "woman"

Exclamation It never occured to me to mention speaking DOESN'T COUNT in my OP!

Because I'm always read from 100' away if folks can see my face! But, I am mentioning it now because so many of u seem to count your speaking voice as your one reason for NOT passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine cd View Post
    I see myself in the 10 percent passible range, as long as I don't open my mouth!
    Ladies? I hate to break the news to u. But, if folks don't make u until they hear u speak, u passed! U probably need to get about 10' from someone to talk with them. And, like it or not, if u do that consistently without being made u r in my, "90%+ passing", catagory!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 04-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.

i'll go with a conservative 50% for blending. people usually say nothing or smile a courteous smile.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

When I've gone out at night I've only gotten creeps (older guys) giving me googly eye and a couple creeps following me even a truck and a van both trying to pick me up for well you know... whenever I cam with people who don't know my secret don't believe me when I tell them what I am but I don't think I am 95%+ passable. I would say about a 75% since I haven't ran into someone in person who has questioned me most guys were flirty it was okay until some of them got creepy. lol

Back in the olden days eighty percent, these days about twenty.

Puts a figure on it but it depends how you dress and the occasion.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I might pass by about 3% as long as I dont speek

I have no idea, being over 6ft I would say 25%????