Thread: New data - Men in Panties in the Emergency Room

New data - Men in Panties in the Emergency Room

Previously, I asked a nurse who had been an Emergency Room nurse. She said 1 out of every 15 men wore panties. This week, I met another ER nurse. I asked her how often it happens. She said she had not seen it in 10 years of working there. She said she has seen a lot of people's clothes be cut off of them, but she had never seen a man underdressing (she did not say "underdressing"). I had not expected her answer to be, "Never". Anyhow, I thought I should share it.

Do you think the size of the hospital may contribute to the two different answers ? I know some years ago I knew a person who worked in the ER of a large hospital, that was a major medical treatment center. They had stories of men being dressed, that came into the ER.

Interesting. I'll be heading off to the store soon, panties on, so I hope not to be some nurse's first!

I find never hard to believe. The nurse might have her objections to it and falsified her answer to make it seem less socially acceptable.
    When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    Some years ago I had a friend who work as an ER nurse. One time at a get together someone was saying something about guys wearing panty hose in cold weather while riding motor cycles (I know I did that but of course for reasons other than staying warm) and she said that wasn't all they wore and not just riding bikes. She then told us that she had recently been in attendance when the guy had not only panties on but a bra. When she was pressed about how often she said sometimes she didn't really pay attention to what people had on because of the circumstances of the emergency but she did say it happened often and it wasn't unusual to see it at least once every week or so. Of course we lived in a college town and not to far from a large army base which may have caused these numbers to be skewed.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Daniella Argento
    Sorry to be (overly) pedantic, but what we have here is a few anecdotes, at best numerous anecdotes will create a narrative, but never data.
    Data is a prerequisite to creating information, from information we get knowledge. Narrative can inform knowledge but never create it...
    Anecdotes can never create data...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Beth View Post
    When she was pressed about how often she said sometimes she didn't really pay attention to what people had on
    Don't kid yourself. Nurses are trained to notice minute changes in patients' conditions. They notice. Some may be too kind to say so, but they notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountessVF View Post
    I find never hard to believe. The nurse might have her objections to it and falsified her answer to make it seem less socially acceptable.
    Nurses are pretty outspoken. If they see something unusual, they'll pretty much say so. You'd be pretty surprised at what topics of discussion come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn3 View Post
    Do you think the size of the hospital may contribute to the two different answers ?
    Size of the hospital won't change the incidence per say, 50,000 persons which any decent e.r. will see in a year. However if the hospital is located in, say, San Francisco or NYC's Greenwich Village that might have something to do with it, you'll probably see more of us chancing underdressing in large cities than say, out on the farm under the overalls driving a tractor. Still, I work in a major city and we may see one person underdressed in a year. As much as we would like to think that we're 'normal' by believing that there are lots more of us out there, wishful thinking won't change reality.

And let's not forget, people who underdress are most likely trying to avoid being noticed, and so are more careful about doing everything, which is why they may be far less represented in situations where they would need to be brought to an emergency room, even to the extent that they'd do anything to get home and change before going anywhere where they'd have to expose themselves. Having come close to being outed simply by the 'grapevine', I know how quickly word of mouth can spread information when people have some 'juicy gossip' to talk about.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 04-12-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

This is one of those things we will never really know.

Even those who work in the profession wont be adding it to the patient notes, so all we have to comment on is anecdotes.

I am sure not sure its too many given all the variables involved
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Yes!We need more clinical studies to ascertain whether there is an increase or perish the thought.... A decrease in this type of activity.

In all seriousness I think it will be all here say and speculation.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Not only the size of the hospital but its location would no doubt factor in to the answer of the question. I'd suspect that panties in the ER would be a lot more common in more liberal areas of the country while their absence would be closer to the norm in very conservative areas.

Lacy PJs

If I had the occasion to visit an ER in the last few years I would have been counted as a panty-wearer.

In fact, I wore them to my last physical, since I discuss being TG openly with my doctor. Nobody took undue notice.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I don't think there is any data on that. I think they keep that to themselves. I do know that in 1994 when I went in with bad intestines, two doctors were on duty who saved my life. After they cracked me open and fixed everything. I was in a room finally and noticed that I had thigh highs on. White ones with a frilly top. When I was able to get up and walk I asked them about them. They said to stop bloodclots. I asked how long I should wear them. They said any damn time you want to in the future. LOL So I do not think panties are typically a problem.
    Part Time Girl

I wonder if we can get quality answers from a Nurse-On-Call service?

Platinum Member

Registered & Taxed !

Hi Johanne, The only way we will ever know is when the Government makes all Crossdressers
    register and get a license and pay a CD tax.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've known three EMTs from this city. they have a combined service time of I believe twenty eight years. None of them has ever seen an underdresser. One saw a CDer in full dress.

I know a young man that graduated from EMT school and moved down to a larger city. In the three months he has been working down there he has seen a lot of underdressers and two CDers in full dress.

I find that kind of hard to figure because we have 'accidents' and situations up here also. I know we have CDers up here because I have seen them.

I hope I'm not the first for an ER nurse, but if I'm in the ER than what else can you do? Own it like I do anyway and get med treatment for why I'm there. Have to wear a" gown " they give you anyway.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Just so you know there are probably plenty of close calls though. Last summer I was in a motorcycle accident and was brought in by ambulance to the ER. I was underdressed with hot pink Victoria Secret panties on . Surprisingly enough, my pulse stayed a cool 62 and bp was normal ( ends up I was in shock!) anyways, had X-rays, bruised hip and dislocated shoulder, they put me back together and the wife came and got me. I walked out shirtless , but not panty-less with my secret intact .

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Johanne, The only way we will ever know is when the Government makes all Crossdressers
    register and get a license and pay a CD tax.
    Would not surprise me in the least
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 04-15-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit button when there is no post since your last post.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why is this news anyway?
    Is it so important to know how many men wear panties?
    The whole premise seems silly.

Tracii, The point of this is that it is a sampling of the community from a third party. Someone on here once declared that 1 in 10-20 male patients in the ER have on panties. I thought that there was no way the number was so high! So, when the opportunity first arrived, I asked. It was verified. Still not satisfied, I asked again. This time the number was zero. (I was a bit surprised.) I would expect that many men needing to go to the ER would change their underwear to masculine before leaving if they could. Also, some men don't underdress 24/7. So some got lucky and did not get hurt in panties. That means, the number of actual underdressers is greater than the observed number. If the observed number is 1 in 15 as the first nurse suggested, then this phenomenon has a VERY high rate of occurrence. Maybe the point is that I am a good little monkey, but always very curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    If I had the occasion to visit an ER in the last few years I would have been counted as a panty-wearer.

In fact, I wore them to my last physical, since I discuss being TG openly with my doctor. Nobody took undue notice.
    Me too......... actually last year I had to go to the ER after a job site injury. I'm sure my panties were visible, but what they
    didn't see...... my pretty plum colored toe nails!!
    Joann, a Jersey Shore Gal.
    "Be True to Yourself"

count me as one because I only have womans panties and wear them every day
    sometimes I wear a 16 inch 1/2slip instead of panties
    so I would definitely be a statistic,

Reality Check
    I went to the emergency room in panties. I thought I was having a stroke but it was a "mini stroke" (TIA).

What's odd was, I had been wearing yellow lace panties and I changed into plain black panties before I left. I don't know why I didn't change into white briefs, I knew I was going to the hospital.

We have a friend who is an ER nurse. She tells us of guys in panties and/or full women's clothing who come in. Some are regulars.

johanne, I wonder if the second nurse you talked with had a problem discussing the issue for fear she would violate the HIPPA Oath? I know some medical personal that will tell you anything about everything. Others don't even want to tell you where they work.

I really believe that if my legs were cut off and had to pull my bloody stumps into the bedroom to change from panties to mens briefs before I would even call the emergency crew here in our small town. I bet many gals on this site would do the same. A small town emergency room is a gossip of every thing. The nurses here would be on their cells calling their best friends and telling them to please don't tell but guess what happened today. I think the size of the emergency room, the professional attitude of the employees, and the location would have every thing to do in getting a count on a subject like this.