Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you tell a stranger about Crossdressing?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

What would you tell a stranger about Crossdressing?

If you had the chance to teach a class or address a group about the topic of Crossdressing and Crossdressers what would be the two or three most important things you tell them?

Now consider the possibility that the group is LGBTQ. Would you tell them anything different?

I have lots of ideas but I don't want to guide this thread, I want to harvest your ideas and preferences as I prepare an outline for such a possible presentation.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

First thing that I would tell them is.....Most people assume that all crossdressers are gay, we all know that is not true. Second, I would tell them, at least for me, that crossdressing makes me a more complete, caring, compassionate person. There are two things anyway that I can think of.
    Hugs,
    Bree
    Brandy Mathews

Sarah, that is an incredibly broad subject. It perhaps would be beneficial to focus on a particular aspect of crossdressers who identify as TG, TS, are young, old, at risk, marginalized?

I doubt I would differentiate my audience because there are some incredibly sensitive and understanding and knowledgable non-LGBTQIA allies, as well as some incredibly bigoted and uncaring LGBT community members. To do so would be perhaps stereotyping and erroneously presupposing to all.

If I may, PFLAG and GLSEN have some wonderful resources for presenting to an audience. I have attended several GLSEN conferences and have always learned something new.

Good luck, I know I didn't answer your direct post but I hope it helps a little.
    Chrissi

Miriam
    Nice inquiry, Sarah. I've actually given this a lot of thought in recent months as I expect to have just such an opportunity in the near future. I've done a lot of professional presentations through the years, as well as teaching for work and church. I always start with a few general thoughts:
    - What do I think the audience already knows?
    - What do they want to learn?
    - What concerns do they have about the subject?
    - What can I share with them that will best address their concerns?
    - What do I want them to take away from the discussion?

There's a lot of variation in the public in information and disinformation about crossdressers, so it'll be hard to cover as much as you'd like if you only have a few minutes or even an hour. If you're dealing with a subject that most of the audience fears, it's generally best to assume they have little or no solid information and start by addressing the concerns, then moving on to deeper material as time allows.

Given all that, I'd suggest the following as a starter:
    - We're just normal people. In fact, they probably know a number of crossdressers but don't know which of their contacts are CDs - just as they don't know which of those contacts experience any of the many wonderful varieties in life.
    - I'm just one example of a crossdresser, and there are many different variations from those who crossdress just a little at home to those who crossdress nearly full-time (you can expand on this if you like).
    - We're often considered to be part of the transgendered world, which introduces even more variations, including full FTM or MTF transsexuals.
    - Some crossdressers are homosexual, but most are straight - just as it is among non-crossdressers.
    - Many of us try to emulate the best qualities of the women we've known in our lives.
    - None of us can really tell you why we crossdress, but we can share how we feel when we do.

I think you can see the general sense of what I'm relating here, and others can expand on it. If all this goes well and you have more time, you can delve into trickier subjects. But it's easy to overwhelm people the first time out so be careful.

Good luck.

Mir

I'd probably say: "You're not from around these parts are you? "
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Bree Jackson View Post
    Second, I would tell them, at least for me, that crossdressing makes me a more complete, caring, compassionate person
    Bree i would have to agree with you on this point, ive always felt uncaring and unsympathetic towards others because it was either ''same sh!t, different day'' or they would never ask me about how i was so i became quite selfish and introverted. over the last few months ive found myself becoming very considerate of others, within reason of course, as well as to stop focusing on myself and the walls ive been throwing up between me and others due to crossdressing, i dont know whether thats because i tell myself that stereotypically women are supportive, or because im exposing myself more and need support, maybe both
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Hell-o Sarah.
    • Some of us say this started in early childhood, while others are "late bloomers"
    and are well into their 50's, or possibly later.
    • There is a wide variety amongst us, from the underdressers, to the all out head
    to toe transformations, and everywhere in between.
    Some are 24/7, and others are satisfied with once every other month, or even less often.
    So, to group us all together and say "this is what a CDer is" in a simple concise statement is
    nearly impossible.
    If speaking to the LGBTQ community, other than the above, I'd be more interested
    in what they believe about CDers. How do they feel we fit in?
    Good luck prepare that presentation.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn

Platinum Member
    I'll stick with a group of total strangers.

Point one: why? there is a growing body of research suggesting both genetic and epigenetic influences contribute towards transgenderism, that latter relating to how factors such as hormone exposure may influence gene expression. In other words, we are born this way.

Point two: We are married, single, divorced, heterosexual, homosexual, male, female, good parents, good neighbors, every imaginable profession and skilled blue collar workers, soldiers, law enforcement, and law abiding citizens.

Point three: We are not pedophiles, sexual predators, peeping toms, or any other type of social miscreant.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Hi Sarah, Something like, If I have to explain it to you, you probably won't understand it anyway.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The most important thing I could tell them is:

Whatever u think CD's and Trans r? They most likely aren't. CD's/Ts's r some of the most interesting and remarkable people I've ever met. (Including u of course, Sarah). Sit down and have a chat with one. It will change your idea of us forever!

Me telling LGBTQ's anything? Not likely. I'd be learning from them!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 04-14-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sarah Charles, for what it's worth I'd say Miriam's advice on this is pretty well spot on. As an ex-teacher myself I can equate with her breakdown of the "lesson plan".

Like others here, I have never had to do this to a large group in a lecture type situation but I have sat with a group of work colleagues who I did not previously know and went through much of this with them (see my recent post under the thread about going out with male friends). People, particularly women I find, seem to be genuinely interested. They have many preconceptions, many of which are totally erroneous, and not a few will have extrapolated from those preconceptions putting 2 and 2 together to make something closer to 10 than 4!

Candour on your part is essential - no point in ducking issues or being cagey with your responses to the many questions you are likely to get. Follow Miriam's outline and you won't go far wrong and your "audience" will go away much better informed. And the further we can spread this message the sooner it will be that we become as "accepted" in society as the LGB group. There will always be some who maintain a stance against us born of ignorance or dogma or fear or some other spurious reason but the more visible we are and the more society in general accepts us as ordinary people the more marginalised the "opposition" will become. And if you doubt the veracity of that you only have to look at the changing attitudes towards homosexuality over the last 40 years...from pariahs of society to being accepted married couples.

I am always happy to talk to anyone and everyone about crossdressing and what and who I am. I always have pictures with me and I try never to miss an opportunity whether I am there as Stephen or as Michelle. Only last weekend I was browsing a very nice ladieswear shop (as Stephen) and was asked by the sales assistant if I was looking for a gift for someone; "No," I said, "I'm looking for myself" and showed her a photograph of Michelle. She was happy and we chatted as I browsed and I will be back there again as Michelle to try on...

Sarah - be brave, be prepared and BE YOURSELF and enjoy.

Michelle
    xxxx

Reality Check
    I would try not to put myself in that situation (addressing a group on the subject of crossdressing). I have addressed groups on technical matters but these were subjects where I was the "expert". Although I consider myself a crossdresser, I am not an expert on the subject. I can't even explain why I do it.

The one thing I would like the general public to know is that I, like most crossdressers, am not gay and do not plan on becoming a woman.
    Last edited by Krisi; 04-14-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Sarah Charles,

I have given two college presentations on cross-dressing.
    Both classes were teaching trans-gender issues and where does cross-dressing fit in.
    Although I have knowledge of other elements of cross-dressing and trans-gender from the many things I've read and discussed with others.

But to answer your question I have always tried to convey how I feel and tell my story. What you tell others should be your personal story of how you started, how it has effected your marriage or family relationships etc.

People tend to relate and feel more emotion when it is a personal story.
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

The first thing I would say to ANYONE is...'If you have got any questions, ask'!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Thank you all.

Much of what has been suggested has been committed to the outline and some of it had totally escaped my navel-gazing. I want to spend some time letting the audience know the range of interests, personalities, family connections, skills and experiences they will find in our corner of the world. I also want to find ways to to get them as allies as we slowly follow the paths set by other groups that are now better understood and closer to acceptance in general society. So along with the normal and good, I need to include information from the annual Transgender Day of Rememberance as a reminder of how serious the consequences can be if things don't change significantly.

So thanks again and please send more! I appreciate the input and look forward to added suggestions and opinions.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I recently was asked to speak to an audience of about 75 people, specifically
    to explain crossdressing. I tried to differentiate people like me - hetero male CD- from drag queens on one hand, and TG folk on the path to changing gender on the other, not to mention the bi-gendered among us. Was not surprised to learn that most of them had not realized there were any differences.
    Last edited by Jackie7; 04-14-2015 at 10:27 PM.

The first thing I would say to a group would be...."We are simply people, just like you".
    If they asked me why I would ask why they are right or left handed. If they don't know then they are in the same boat with me.

If it were a group in the community then I would first tell them, "We all need to support each other, no matter what are life style, no matter if we are bi, gay, lesbian, CD, TG, TS. We need unity in the community."
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

The first thing i would do would be to ask what people "know, or think they know" about crossdressing and crossdressers.
    Then I would respond by addressing any fallacies, expanding on positive perceptions and debunking strong negative connotations.

I try to uniquely explain to each person I meet, who needs to know, in their terms.

Broadly, its people who dress in clothing of the opposite sex, mostly men now are seen as CD, and that the demographic spans the normal population: mostly hetero folks but a large minority fitting LGB, and that many people appearing as cross-dressers may be transsexuals, who are folks born into a different gendered body to their sense of self.

I's then explain that for example, I do it because I feel happier in the clothing, but for many people it's a fetish, and that there are a plethora of motivations but no-one is the wiser as to why, and that there is no "treatment" to stop it or change it. My opinion is that for many early-onset folks it is a refusal to form the "anima" (the dissociated female self of the male), and that for late-onset folks its a return of the anima, but that this is just my opinion, not the truth.

I'd also explain that, when you think about it, its just clothes, and really no big deal, get over it and realise its just personal choice of expression.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    In other words, we are born this way.
    What about those of us who weren't? There are a whole lot of people here who went for years without considering wearing female specific clothing; some, half a century or more. That kind of throws a wrench in the works about us all being born that way. At some point, something triggered the initial event. At this point in time, however, society still pressures boys to believe that to be anything feminine is the worst thing we can be. Until that changes, most of us won't be able to clearly identify what it was in our lives (or when) that initial thought may have occurred. We may, however, be able to remember when it first crossed into our consciousness and we became aware that we desired to wear the clothes and/or emulate females.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 04-15-2015 at 01:28 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sarah,

I have had the opportunity to chat with many strangers and friends about being TG. I will stick to how I explain the one question I get all the time (not sure if this is what you are looking for) . . . "why?" Inherently, it is a tough concept for many to grasp and I have gone down the nurture/nature road only to see confused looks from people as they try to grasp it. So I settled on an analogy which resonates with people and helps them understand why dressing and spending time "en femme" is important to me.

Consider your core identity (what makes you who you are) as a music hall. The orchestra is compose of all the various identities you take on in your life "husband", "father", "brother", "sporty guy", "military guy" etc. etc. (they are all different for each of us). Now in a perfect world those identities would work together in sync to weave a tapestry of music and sound that would resonate harmoniously. They do this because nothing is missing. In my case while my identities all tried to work together, you might say the string section was missing and the only music they could play was chaotic, loud and out of sync. Along came this part of my identity, the lone "girl string section" and her simple and melodious sound slowly brought order to chaos and the tapestry of music returned to harmonious balance.

Hugs

Isha

Explain that cross dressing seems to be a compulsion and build on that.

To an LGBT group I would tailor it differently probably going into relationships.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

i'd tell them that we CDers all put our panties on one leg at a time...

if you know what I mean!

Really? 23 responses and nobody is going to say, "I'd tell them crossdressing is not for sissies?" OK, then I guess I won't either....

oh it's totally for sissies!

hehe!