Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high heel history lesson

high heel history lesson

i was wearing some new heels i bought and the though occured to me why do women even wear high heels in the first place? low and behold the internet had an answer and i thought i would share it with the rest of you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iflv0GMkiBY

in the end of the video the presenter suggests perhaps its time for men to reclaim the high heel. Perhaps we already are?
    -kat
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

Be yourself.
    educational & fun! High heels is the most wonderful thing to have ever happened anywhere (imo)!!
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Kat.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I enjoyed the video.

Helpful and funny as hell! Thanks!
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

High heels are like friends with benefits.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    That video skipped over the time when coachmen wore high heels. It where the term "pumps" comes from...

DeeAnn

Thanks for the video Kat. One thing that always stuck in my head was. That women who never wore heels... are Divorced.! Men have told me that over the past forty years.
    Part Time Girl

I enjoyed the video Kat...thanks for posting!

i'm glad you all have enjoyed the video as much as i did.
    -kat

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    That video skipped over the time when coachmen wore high heels. It where the term "pumps" comes from...
    That depends upon the source. Some say that the original pumps were soft flat slippers worn by both men and women and the name was an onomatopoeia of the "plump, plump" sound that they made.

There are a few more holes too. The presenter also failed to mention that heels were originally not of interest to aristocratic women because their feet and legs were never seen under their voluminous skirts and it was impolite to even acknowledge that women had legs. Other precursors of heels were riding boots where the heel was used to keep the rider's foot positioned on the stirrup.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot." -- Marilyn Monroe

Heels ,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Thanks for posting Kat. Cute video and answered some questions. I am just glad someone invented them. Interesting that women adopted heels as a cross gender protest.
    Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Gone to live my life
    Cute video . . . thanks for sharing Kat.

Hugs

Isha

Informative. Yes. Entertaining. Yes. Men reclaiming high heels? No. In today's world it's a feminine thing, and wearing high heels is about looking and/or feeling feminine.

My best answer for why women wear high heels is simply that they look so beautiful and sexy. As awful as they might be for some to walk in, many people pay the price anyway to get the look.

Aspiring Member
    Thanks for the fun video, Kat. And yes, in our own way men are reclaiming high heels (and panties and nylons and jewelry and makeup and... well, everything - lol)

all it takes is a little start...

Banned Read only
    In that case, we seem to be well on our way...

DeeAnn

Hi, I was searching the forums for for any topics with high heels and came across this topic. Interesting and entertaining video. I knew there was a reason we as cross dressers love to wear high heels. Men used to wear them before women it must be in our genes. As my name suggests "pump1", it is a reference to pumps my favourite part of dressing up.

Angela

fun video, thanks for sharing,
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

Thanks for sharing, are men reclaiming heels? maybe we are pioneers and we didn't know it?

Platinum Member
    Hi Kat, We are working on the reclamation project, I have 130+ pairs.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Love the video, lots of info. There was something i saw on the history channel once about heels thag went along the same lines. It had also stated something about that the foot size appeared smaller which was a trend in china. Chinese women not only raised the heel but were forced into smaller shoes, ouch! This was a status of femininty or something along those lines.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Banned Read only
    Their feet were bound to the point where it was VERY painful to walk. Small feet equated to the height of femininity and the point of binding was to limit the growth of the feet. It was something that you had to start at a young age. I've seen X-rays and it was truly sad.

Also, it lent an air of aristocracy as it made doing work (labor) out of the question.

DeeAnn