Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: computer repair shop stole my pics and posted them on the Internet

The easiest thing to do is a DCMA notice to the Social Media site claiming copyright violation ( you own the photos )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act

Just go to the Social Media site, look for their CONTACT or ABUSE contact info and send this

"This account
    ( the link to the offender's account )
    has posted photos which I own
    ( direct links to the photos )
    and which were unlawfully taken from my computer during a repair job at ( shop, address )
    and I want them removed. Can you please do this without me filing a formal DCMA Notice?
    Please take action and block access or remove the photos before ( 10 days after the date which you send the query )
    alternatively the matter will involve a lawyer and to offset the cost I may be forced to seek damages due to
    an unfortunate personal situation that has arisen from the unauthorized publication of my photos by your company.
    I appreciate your quick address of this matter."

or just meet the requirements on this site example and send the DCMA notice yourself to the SM site.
    http://www.photocrash-app.com/dmcanotice/index.html

...and use this form to figure it out, what you need to send
    http://www.dmcagenerator.com/
    Last edited by MonctonGirl; 04-23-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Hazel Lee View Post
    The type of media does not matter as long as the space used to store those files is filled with something else. This can be another file, or simply zeroed out. A file shredder does exactly the latter, it simply fills every block with a zero. As to being weary of using them on solid state media, it would be no different than deleting a bunch of files and then immediately copying an equivalent amount of data back onto the drive. While this may not use the exact same blocks as the deleted files, over enough time, that space will be used again. Therefore there is no danger in using such a utility on solid state media because over the life of the drive, that process will happen many, many, MANY times. Modern SSDs while yes, have a finite lifetime that is shorter than traditional magnetic media, it is still MUCH longer than you will probably be using the drive for anyways, easily as much as 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Now defragging, well THAT definitely accelerates the aging process... and is generally not ever required on an SSD to begin with.
    Hi Tracy, I just double checked my lingo,

You're correct in saying that most file shredders these days are fine to use on SSD's but what you have to be wary of is the old school, hardcore types that run multiple passes (what I thought was the mainstream). They write random data then erase the data 100s of times. This is because you used to be able to pull the "shadow" off an otherwise "empty" sector of magnetic memory (In a lab, but possible none the less). By overwriting it multiple times you would eliminate this possibility. This isn't a consideration on solid state memory (you can't pull a shadow from a transistor), so a "single pass" is all that's required. Using a multi pass program will have a similar effect as defragging

Sorry for adding to any confusion :S
    -Lucy