Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: psychiatrist appointment anxitey

psychiatrist appointment anxitey

my appointment is in 6 days and i am beside myself.
    what will i say?
    What do i say?
    Do i tell him my life story?
    what if i talk to much?
    i am not going in a dress.
    why would i go in a dress?
    is there going to be a blue chair and a pink one and one of these chairs define who i am?
    i hate blue always did i am sitting in the pink one. if there is a pink one.
    maybe its a couch?
    what will i do if i am told i am just a crossdresser. ( nothing against crossdressers)
    i am holding everything together pretty good so far and the meds are helping but what will that do to me if that's his diagnosis?
    the first meeting is for a 1 1/2 hours.
    what the hell am i going to talk about for that long?
    will there be a lot of questions?
    will i sound like a idiot?
    O MY GOD!
    The mind is doing a 110 mph

i need a drink!
    Last edited by jules; 04-16-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Banned Read only
    WHOA there princess! Take a breath. Relax!

Your psychiatrist is there to HELP you not beat you up. Allow them to lead the dance this first meeting. Talk to them just like you would anyone else. Be open and honest and tell them what the problem is. Believe me, they have heard it all including I am a boy that wants to be a girl. No biggie for them. Go dressed as you want. Whatever mode you chose is fine. You will be surprised just how short an hour and a half is.

That's it breath!!!!

Gold Member
    You will go in, you will sit down anywhere (it really doesn't matter), you will relax, you will talk. Think of it like waltzing and the therapist is leading. You walk out on the dance floor and they will guide you. You will be participating, but they will lead.

Easy there,

It will be ok, like Jorja said they are there to support you. It might actually feel good to get things off your mind.

Therapists are pros in dealing with nervous patients. You're there to get help, they're there to help you. It will work out.

Yes, you will probably babble a bit. That's a normal reaction to having someone that you can talk honestly with. They're used to it and it is valuable to you both.

I went to my first appointment in drab. Mimi and I were going out right after my second appointment so I texted the therapist and asked her if she would mind if I came dressed. She said that was fine and made me feel so welcome that I've gone dressed ever since. It's a lot easier to talk about my gender issues when I am presenting as I wish!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

My goodness, you need to relax!! I thought I was nervous before going to my first appointment, but you are on a completely different level!

Just take it easy. You are not passing an exam, nobody is here to evaluate you, and to have the possibility to fail. Just be honest. Just say what you need to say to feel better. Make sure you provide enough information to be helped properly. That's all.

I went to my information dressed, and I was really scared, and it was only my 3rd or 4th time outside, my first time during daylight. And even with that, everything went great. I went in drab the next two times, and nothing changed, my therapist talked to me the same way, I was the same person.

Good luck, and just relax!!

To add to the excellent points made by all the others, you also have control. These appointments are for you. I hope you will find your therapist to be a great match for your needs, but if you don't, you need not suffer in a mismatch. They are providing you with a service. If you don't get along with the service provider, you can find another, qualified therapist who can help you. With all of this in mind, go in there committed to learning about yourself through this experience. After all, that is the goal, right? There's no need to worry -- if anything, be excited to finally start working through clearing up the big mystery of your life. This is a big step toward ending the fear and shame. How wonderful is that?

Karen
    Last edited by Karen62; 04-23-2015 at 01:19 AM.

As others have stated, your visit with your therapist is for your benefit. My suggestion is to be open and relay what you have on your mind and your experiences. I found my therapist to be very supportive and most of all, helpful with both identifying and discussing a plan to respond to my my gender dysphoria. All of this was/is complicated by my being involved in a loving marriage.
    Lori

Jules, had my first one last week. Non event and very much at ease. My mind was racing too, the Dr just listened, took notes.
    No judgement, they want to help you. Like the others said, Relax.
    Hugs

Gold Member
    Though Rob doesn't specifically mention transgender (or maybe he did?) but this is pretty close to what you can expect...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-iC-R10_Bw
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

There will be differing opinions on this, but-
    I believe that anybody in a professional capacity should see the real you. Go to every appt. in girl mode. They are not the enemy, but they are also not trans, and they are responsible for your future. Sitting there in overalls, and rubber boots (or whatever your guy mode is), and saying 'I'm a girl' is kinda hard to imagine to a cis person.

Now relax. Five minutes into your appt. you'll be fine.

It is only natural to feel this way, kind of like a child waiting for Christmas day to open their presents. The best thing to do is simply be yourself. Your therapist has been trained to put patients at ease so now you only need to tell your story in the confines of their questions asked of you. The 1.5 hours will most likely feel like a shorter time especially if you have a lot to get out but that is what follow up visits are for.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Got a good story for you Lady's about my first app at the Therapist. As you might know very little resources where I am, So my choice was basicly made for me.
    Not a whole lot to chose from here. So that being said I made an appointment am went. The therepist I had to see was practicing in another doctors office under there licence so they would screen you with the Pyscotrist first an then you could see the Gender therapist next time. An the main doc was a Man an the Gender therapist was a Lady.

Now mind you I wanted to see her pretty bad an I had made my mind up an I was going to see her an remember who you lady's are talking to an picture this in your mind an this is the Truth I swear. I walked in there dress like I always dress Man Mode an got called in to the Mans office an he looked at me an asked why I was there an with everything that had built up in the last 46 years I let him have it ALL.

After it was all over an I told him about it he said ( I have NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN MY LIFE) An I said well do I get to see the Gender therapist next time or what? He said OH YEA . So if you have what the rest of us have an have accepted it an are coming to grips with it like we are an want help from drowning they the therapist are not only the life jacket there the coast guard. An that my friend is one of the first places you will go that you feel accepted an if you don't go somewhere else!

Platinum Member
    Definitely relax. Don't think in terms of being diagnosed. Think about talking through a problem with a trusted advisor. Hopefully you'll reach some consensus rather than a diagnosis.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Whoa, whoa Jules.....back up the bus girl!! You are waaaay over thinking this. Relax. The therapist is there to help. I first came out years ago to my family Dr who knew me and my family really well. He was totally fine with it. However, he self admittedly did not have the knowledge base to help me, but knew who did and referred me to a therapist that had experience. So, off to another new therapist. Again it was fine. Simply sat wherever I wanted to, took a deep breath and told them how I was feeling - sad, depressed, etc, and why. Then they simply started to ask me a few questions and we had a great conversation and before I knew it the hour was up and I couldn't wait for me next appointment as it was so good to be able to talk about it.

They are professionals, and are there for your benefit. I you feel like crying, go ahead. Get the most out of it. You will be fine.

As others have said, relax. Take a breath. Present yourself however you are the most comfortable. Don't be afraid to open up to them. They can't help you if you don't give them the information to work with.

Let us know how it goes.

Erin
    Last edited by Eringirl; 04-18-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

The Mad Scientist
    Like Stacy,
    My first therapist encounter was not with a WPATH member therapist and they weren't even professional. (go figure).
    Thank goodness they didn't have the audacity to send me a bill for those 10 minutes.
    Especially so, considering that I put "GD" as the reason that I was coming in.....

Once I found the right therapist... it was like someone threw me not a life preserver, but an entire island.

I'm hoping that you don't encounter the type I did initially, and am hoping for the right kind of therapist.
    Kris

Just one more thought to add to the good advice above. Remember that the therapist is being evaluated by you, as well as you by the therapist. So ask yourself: is this someone I can talk to--that I feel comfortable with? You deserve a person that you are totally comfortable with. If there is any hesitation about your comfort-level, then you should talk about it with him or her.

thank you all for your support.
    i am going to take my time RELAX and just let it out.
    my family doctor told me the same thing.
    just be yourself and let him the same thing you told me.
    ill be fine. just got to remember to breath.
    thank you again for the support.
    i will let everyone know how its goes.

julie

Wonderful post! Reminds me of my first appointment.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

2 hours and 15 mins to go.
    It's 10:43 am here appointment is at 1 pm
    Breathing
    Last edited by jules; 04-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Well? How did it go?
    My therapist is awesome. She's been great to talk with.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

My first trip to therapist was in guy mode too. I doubt I would have made it there in one piece in this transphobic city. I wasn't nervous but determined to get help for my GD. I did however bring pictures of my true self (female) and gave them to him early on. Maybe that will help somebody else that is nervous on their first visit.

cisgender gal
    I hope everything went smoothly for you, OP. Hugs if you want any. You can do this.

I went to my appointment and it was good to get everything off my chest.
    I won't fill in all the details but i did go as butch as I could get. Road the bike and had the riding boots and jacket.
    I talked for two hours. Even my wife was surprised on how long I was in there.
    So in a nut shell I am transgendered and I am now on sprio twice a day.
    With blood work to follow in three months.
    And referrals to my family doctor.
    It's like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
    took my 2nd sprio this morning.

Again thank you for the support and encouragement. It's means a lot to me.

Hugs
    Julie
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-23-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: We do not allow dosages to be discussed on this forum

Banned Read only
    Jules,
    I have to admit the same thoughts would be going through my mind !
    I've just finished general counselling and now waiting for a referral from my GP to enter gender/sexual counselling ! Most of the stuff will be things that have played on my mind for years so getting it out in the open can't do any harm ! The scary bit is at 64 what the bottom line is going to be !
    I don't venture into this section often but just a quick read reinforces how hard it is to accept that you may be stepping from thinking you're just a CDer into uncharted waters !
    I can see there is some great support here , I may just need it !!