Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The reveal, why do we want to do it?

cisgender gal
    Why did I come out to my family as exmormon? Cause it's a pain in the ass to have to go to such lengths to hide who you are and there is freedom and liberation in being your true self around others. I imagine it's the same with gender identity things.

Because I love my wife and keeping secrets from each other is not something I want to do.

A cute Minnesota girl!! Natalie cupcake's Avatar
    I revealed myself to my wife because I could never keep this from her. And she very accepting. She help me find who Natalie is. I only want to reveal Natalie to people in my life that I know are opening minded enough to accept her.

Why the wish to reveal?? I think it's quite simple at it's roots.. I think that all any girl wants is to be just accepted for who they are.. whatever level of feminisation/masculisation they choose to exhibit. But also, one very common theme for many many girls here is the "closeted" aspect of crossdressing, the fact that it's mostly done in private.. when alone.. when nobody is round to see it. But let's face it, that can be a very lonely life, which is why you see so many posts on various boards looking for a "girly friend" or "someone to just hang out with".. because we all want to be able to continue our normal social life with our circle of friends, but secretly hate having to get changed into guy clothes just to go and hang out with your best mate etc.

For me that's certainly a big part of it.. knowing I have places I can go and not have to worry about changing out of my girl jeans.. knowing I can just throw a jacket over my crop top and then take it off when I get there rather than finding a t-shirt or something to change into. And of course the biggest one of all.. not having to rush like an idiot to get changed when your best mate knocks unexpectedly at your door

Obviously it's different with SO's.. I told my last gf that I crossdressed before we even got serious.. my family knows, my best mate (female) knows, and the girl I'm kind of seeing at the moment knows.. we've been friends for a few years now and I revealed to her about 6 months ago before we got involved in any way. It's just a lot easier to know that's out there and isn't going to come up years later and cause problems.. and also good to find out early how accepting the other party is of your dressing.

Because I am a whole person, and being feminine is just part of the whole.

Came back to this one as I confided in another of my close friends tonight. Have known her for many years and have seen posts from her previously that strongly suggested an open mind and support towards all parts of the LGBT community, so whenever I went round to hers I wouldn't worry too much about toning down the feminine side.. glittery nails.. sparkly/cutesie ear studs, tight girl jeans etc etc.

So tonight, the conversation ended up touching on her cousin who is MtF, and the hatred he had to deal with when he was younger and she said "it's like people just can't understand.. he was just born in the wrong body".. so obviously I had to explain that I probably had a better understanding than most and she asked what I meant.

And you know what.. it seems that no matter how long and manicured my nails were.. no matter how tight or embroidered my jeans were, no matter how cutesy or sparkly my earrings were.. she hadn't even given it a second thought.. despite having had the thought when I walked through the door of "oh my god I love those jeans he's wearing!!!".

Hadn't planned to come out to her, just one of those things.. but feels good to have one more person in my inner circle that I can totally be myself around

Quote Originally Posted by Danitgirl1 View Post
    In short I think we want to be honest with those we care about but forget that our honesty places an unasked for and unwarranted burden on those we love. We need to reconcile these tensions. How do we live with integrity and not harm those we love?
    I think that the reason we want to tell others is because of what you said. I'll add that for me it's also a matter of wanting people to know who I really am. I've hidden this side away for so long and guarded my real personality that I just want others to know who I really am if that makes sense. As for why it seems like everyone is thinking the same thing, who knows? Maybe we are excited to start a new summer with a fresh start.