Thread: Attending Therapy

Attending Therapy

I am not really sure what/who I am, but I am thinking of attending my next session dressed. I am not sure why, but I am anxious yet am curious to try dressing out in what I feel is a safe space.

Thoughts?
    I think I feel more like Natalie than I do Kat. I think from this point I will go by Natalie.

Part of a recently ended relationship where a reason why it ended was my crossdressing.

If you have spoken to your therapist about you being a crossdresser or thinking your trans, absolutely.
    My therapist years ago suggested I come dressed, the logistics did not work out at the time. But shoot yes I think you should.
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

The therapist I have been seeing is located at the local LGBT Center and I have been seeing her for a variety of issues. I want to see how I feel dressed. I plan dress in the restroom at the counseling office.
    I think I feel more like Natalie than I do Kat. I think from this point I will go by Natalie.

Part of a recently ended relationship where a reason why it ended was my crossdressing.

Katlee,

From what you have just posted certainly I think it would be great for you to go dressed.
    As I stated my therapist suggested it. But because of the time of her appointments it did not work out with my work schedule.

Best of luck sis...
    Megan Martin

opps one other thing, if this thread is open once you do it, please post the outcome or at-least send me a message letting me know.
    Megan Martin

Is your therapist a LBGT therapist? I am guessing so due to location. Even so, while not a bad idea, and certainly one where if she is in fact a LBGT therapist, something they often have is people they see dressed, but before doing so, I would let her know you are thinking about it. Perhaps one more session to talk about it before you do it, or just let her know you will be doing it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Hi, Yes, I always went to my therapist dressed it just seemed to make sense that she could see the real me. She even provided some reassurance that I looked okay and shouldn't have a problem going out if I was careful. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Are you going to therapy because you crossdress, or because you're not comfortable with it, or it has caused you problems, or for other reasons? If you regularly crossdress, or go out crossdressed, of course your therapist should see you looking & acting the way you normally do, to make any progress with the therapy.

That's how I go to mine.

My therapist's office is a safe haven where I am encouraged to be myself, whatever that may be.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I don't regularly cross dress out in the open, but I think it is a side of me that I need to be open to explore. For a while, be it friends or my ex, I can't be who I am. I honestly don't know who I am and that depresses the hell out of me. I started going there for therapy because I admitted to myself that I have gender issues. I recognize that I have a feminine side that would like to present as female and be treated as female. But, I also have a male identity that I love being and doing. I don't think I could give that up.

Banned Read only
    Your comments would suggest you really don't know who you are. If you do decide to go to a therapist en femme, I would recommend telling her and asking her if it is appropriate for the stage of your therapy. I never would never recommend doing anything one is not comfortable doing.

Platinum Member
    I guess you could bring along clothes and dress beforehand, but it's a bit of a nuisance?Have you ever left your home dressed?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by katlee View Post
    I have a feminine side that would like to present as female and be treated as female. But, I also have a male identity that I love being and doing. I don't think I could give that up.
    I and some others here feel the same way. Its o.k. Hopefully your therapy will help you become comfortable with that feeling. The only problem is that it doubles (maybe triples) your wardrobe budget.
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

The therapist I have been seeing is located at the local LGBT Center and I have been seeing her for a variety of issues. I want to see how I feel dressed. I plan dress in the restroom at the counseling office.
    Been there, done that, many times.

I can't remember if I asked, or just did it. I did ask the marital counselor (who knew about my CDing), and he strongly suggested that I don't. But it was fine with everyone else.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Katlee,

I normally attend all my therapy sessions dressed. However, I did not start that way. If you are unsure, just ask your therapist but I am sure there will be no issue with going dressed as that is the raison d'etre for your therapy.

. . . I recognize that I have a feminine side that would like to present as female and be treated as female. But, I also have a male identity that I love being and doing. I don't think I could give that up.
    This does not seem to be uncommon as I am in a similar boat with about a 40/60 percent (female/male) split. It can be confusing and it sometimes feels like two halves struggling for control of your identity but eventually it is all about balance. You will either settle into a balanced state with both identities in essence "time sharing" face time or if your gender dysphoria is more toward the TS side of the spectrum, you may move more toward presenting full time as a woman. Therapy should help you out with this.

Hugs

Isha

I wanted to surprise my therapist by having Linda show up for the appointment. I asked her before I did it and she was looking forward to finely meeting my feminine side.

Unfortunately I've only been able to do it the one time but would just at the chance if presented. Yes, I traveled enfemme which was 3 hours away from the house. I had a ball.

katlee, I would say in a word: absolutely! But to you, dressing may not be as simple. So, absolutely discuss this with your therapist, who, no doubt, will have suggestions and, no doubt, will assist you in getting through your own feelings and comfort level. Whether you decide to dress or not, she will cover issues you probably haven't even contemplated. Be truthful and more importantly, be you!

I like you, exist in that middle state of gender. I never felt gender "dysphoric." I am happy as a non-girl, and as a non-guy. My inner self, has for as long as I can recall felt more female, but I am not unhappy as a guy with those feelings. I had always just assumed my feelings were a part of my being gay, however, over the last decade or so I have realized that my gender leanings are much more than that, and greatly distinct from my sexual orientation. So, like many of us here, I am not sure where I am headed. It is comforting to know though, that I am not alone. You have found a great resource here. hugs, and let us know how this goes...
    Chrissi
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

Quote Originally Posted by gendermutt View Post
    Is your therapist a LBGT therapist? I am guessing so due to location. Even so, while not a bad idea, and certainly one where if she is in fact a LBGT therapist, something they often have is people they see dressed, but before doing so, I would let her know you are thinking about it. Perhaps one more session to talk about it before you do it, or just let her know you will be doing it.
    I also see a therapist related to gender issues as well. She obviously knows about them, and I definitely agree with this advice. Don't just go in dressed; let her know first that you would like to. I'm sure it won't be a problem if you are dressed as a woman, but it is probably better to let her know first.

Well, therapy is a great idea for those of us that feel lost or unsure of things. I've been going to therapy for a few months now and I am happy to go although I'm not 100% sure the therapist is good fit. I've thought of going to therapy dressed but my appointment is usually right after work so I wouldn't have time to do it. I think you would be right in thinking it's a safe place to do it though. Good Luck!

I thought I would add in my two cents here. I see a gender therapist and at my last appointment I asked her or told her, I'm not sure if I remember seeing that it was a few weeks ago... Anyway, I had informered her about my plans for going out as Allison and that depending on how things go for me that saterday then I would be staying dressed as long as I could handle it. meaning that I would possibly come to my appointment dressed up.

her reply was something along the lines of, "that's good but don't feel like you have too... If you're not comfortable then don't, it's okay either way, the important part is that you are okay with it."

The first couple of times I saw my therapist I went in drab. The next time Mimi and I had an event to attend and I texted the therapist asking if it was OK to come dressed. She replied that she would love it. I went dressed and have never gone in drab again, even though the therapist is within my no-fly zone.

Think about it, your therapist wants to see the real you, and the real you is dressed!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

So I did not end up dressing and I think it would be for the best. Right now, when I am dressed as Nat, I feel like I am still playing a role. The idea of playing of role that I do at work or with my family members. My therapist on Monday wanted me to spend more time focusing on myself. One of the methods she recommended was to look at myself in the mirror for ten consecutive minutes. It is really tough to look at yourself. I gained the perspective that reaffirmed I have very low self esteem and do not have a good body image of me. I am trying to do things that I want to do. I can't really do anything that dramatic, but a simple thing of waxing my legs. Well that is my story for now.

'' It is really tough to look at yourself. ''
    That's one of the most truthful statements i've seen today. I guess we all have to work through it, I don't think your alone.

I've set up my first session for this Friday, and i've been bouncing the same question around over and over, how do I dress.

Katlee,

once I became comfortable with my therapist, I absolutely wanted her to see me dressed. I felt it gave her a better perspective f how I present as a woman. sort of, one picture tells a thousand words. this was a total success as it showed my commitment and desire. I tried to go dressed as many times as I could. I only dressed as vince if I was coming from work or a meeting and could not have enough time to change.

good luck sweetie

hugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634