Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing a wig around SO? Advise needed please. Would you wear wig around SO.

Wearing a wig around SO? Advise needed please. Would you wear wig around SO.

So my wife knows about my dressing and doesn't seem to mind it. She acts like it's just clothes, sometimes she'll even come up and help fix something if it needs fixing (like taking a tag off or making sure its on right). One day she even came over and put a headband on me. My question is she knows I have worn wigs before becauces I told her that it makes the outfit complete. Well that was like a month or two ago. I have worn dresses, skirts and stuff around her and it's not a problem at all.

So how would I ever bring up the wig issue. I would feel weird almost wearing a wig around her, I'm not sure If I am even ready for that part to wear around her. Maybe I'll let it play out and if it ever gets brought up I'll mention that I do in fact own a wig. (I told her I used to wear one but she is not aware that I currently own one.)

Some of me thinks if I am already wearing a dress than it shouldn't be too much different to just add a wig. I still think she sees me as a man just wearing womens clothes as opposed to a man looking like a women. When I told her I used to wear a wig, nothing was mad of it really.

So what are your experiences like for those of you who have similar experiences or what would you do. How did you bring it up, how did you feel, how did she feel, was it awkard for both of you.

I also wear a variety of women's clothing around my wife but I haven't worn a wig in years. I'm fine with the clothes but feel self-conscienous wearing a wig and makeup. A few days ago my wife mentioned that I threw out a bunch of femme stuff, including wigs, during my last purge about 5 years ago. So, since she brought up the subject I said I was thinking of getting a wig but wasn't sure what style and color would look best on me. All she said was don't go blond. I figured why not push it and I asked her what color she thought would look OK. Her reply was mid length, auburn or brown. Since then I've been looking at wigs although still not sure I would be comfortable in a wig.

i would say, ask. I would also say....be careful, remember you are getting to dress on her permission, you push to hard you'll lose what you have
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

For me, I tend not to wear make up or wig around wife or kids, but....
    I do wear everything if I'm going out or coming home, so they do see me occasionally fully dressed.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

My wife is very accepting but really did NOT like the wig, especially to start with. It just makes the whole thing very "fake" for her though she does acknowledge that it is useful when going out mainstream to increase my passability

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sissyboy2 View Post
    One day she even came over and put a headband on me.
    That is an interesting development. Headbands are what women place on baby girls who have not grown much hair yet. I wonder what your headband means to her.

Gone to live my life
    Hi there,

If I dress at home, I tend to wear comfy female clothing (shorts/yoga pants/top) and a wig (no make-up). My wife is very supportive so a wig was not an issue with her. However, having been here awhile, I have read that for some wives a wig is a bridge too far when it comes to their husbands dressing "en femme". Specifically, they are fine with the clothes but make-up and wigs make the transition from "guy wearing girl clothes" to "guy trying to look like a woman" a bit too real. My advice is sit down with your lovely wife and simply ask her how she would feel about you wearing a wig.

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 04-18-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I would ask her, if she has an issue she will tell you.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 04-18-2015 at 06:24 AM.

Reality Check
    What I did was break everything gradually to my wife. First a bra, then panties, then some old blouses she gave me, then forms, then skirts, etc. She goes out in the morning to exercise and when she comes home, I will sometimes still be dressed so adding one new thing every once in a while doesn't come to a shock to here like just all of a sudden having her see me as a fully dressed and made up woman. So yes, I will wear a wig around her.

For the OP, I would suggest the same tactic; take it slowly over a period of weeks or even months. Add a little thing and see how she reacts. Have you been wearing a bra? Breast forms? Padded panties?

I would take it slow and see what develops. My wife has no issue with me dressing but she does not wish to see me in a wig and make up. She just needs to be able to still see her man even when I am wearing a skirt.
    Good Luck
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

When I came out to my wife, I let her know in advance of doing any dressing in front of her that I wanted to build up to a full outfit (without being specific about what that is). Her initial acceptance was that I can dress but only out of her presence. However, we have moved on a bit from this though she still struggles with the 'husband in a dress' concept.
    Like Krisi, I gradually added to the look.
    When I first wore a wig, make up etc. I did so openly but without a specific discussion in advance that I was going to wear them. So far she has not raised any specific objection to these. If she makes no comment, I will usually raise it in some way in later conversation so as to give her an opportunity to let me know how she feels about it. For example, I've discussed the style of wig, asked advice on applying makeup etc.
    I mentioned in advance to her that I wanted to add to the wardrobe i.e. some tops, trousers, skirt, accessories etc. and asked if she would help me shop. To my delight, she agreed to this and has helped me with some shopping. This does allow an opportunity to raise any objections.

The one thing I don't do is frame a question in the form of asking permission as I don't think either person in a relationship should have control over the other. At the same time, if she did strongly object to anything, I would almost certainly back off and try to negotiate to a more agreeable position.

So far, this approach seems to work for me. If it turns out at some point it is not working, I'll need to adjust the approach. Hopefully by raising these subjects in discussion and allowing my wife opportunity to vent, I can avoid finding out it is not working before the 'powder keg is about to explode'.

Platinum Member
    I understand the problem. The solution,,if there is one, is to engage her is discussion about dressing in general, at least occasionally, so each of you know what the other is thinking and feeling. The wig can come up in that context.

For me, I felt odd dressing in front of my wife or anyone else without a wig.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The solution in my case was to stop getting hair cuts. With the exception of having my ends trimmed, I haven't had a hair cut in many years. Initially, I got tired of my typical cut and wanted to try something new. Started to grow out my hair just a little longer to have more "options". One thing lead to another and now I have more money for clothes.

joni

Sometimes wig, sometimes not. I just got my summer cue-ball haircut, which my wife thinks is cute in some girly outfits. But she doesn't care whether I wear a wig or not, she prefers me to do what I want.

I agree with the majority here and say to just ask her what she things.

The first time my wife saw me fully dressed with a wig rocked her back on her heels. Although I had told her I was dressing that day and she didn't object she wasn't ready to see "Linda" in all her glory. I think at that point I went for a guy in a dress to a man impersonating a woman. This was a warning bell to her that maybe I wanted something more.

We worked it out over time and through therapy. Now she accepts that Linda is part of me and went with me to help pick out my last wig.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Sometimes I will wear a wig and sometimes not. It depends on what we are doing mainly.

But... I would agree with others who said speak to her about it first. And no I don't mean, mention to her you have a wig and then wait and she if she will bring it up again, or encourage you to do it. Tell her you have been considering it and see what she thinks, just like you are doing here with us.

I have a wig I never wear it - my own hair is chin length bob

My wife is accepting, but had a hard time with breastforms. Adding a wig seemed to help a lot with that. My interpretation of this is that she saw the combination of breastforms with male face as a mockery of femininity. Adding the wig made it seem more like I was emulating femininity, honoring femininity instead of making fun of it.

It seemed to make a world of difference. So now I consider the dress, the forms, and a wig to be a package deal.

Cynthia makes a good point.

My wife was very adamant about the look I was striving for. She wanted it to be as passable as possible. No caricatures of women allowed.

Banned Read only
    If you do a search on the topic here, you will find that many women here see the wig as a really big deal. I tend to think it is the nature of the intent: trying to look like a woman, rather then dressing as one. Don't underestimate how big a deal this could be.

When i I came out to my wife, it was many months before she ever saw me dressed but I did share some picture of me prior to the live version. Pictures are easier to handle than full frontal. Tak to her firstly. Conversation is where all success will start.

Banned Read only
    When I dress at home it is from the neck down. I seem to associate a wig and makeup with going out, so I would do neither at home. My wife has been out with me dressed, so I don't think the appearance would mean anything to her.

DeeAnn

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    My wife hates a wig on me, as do I.

I discussed this with my wife. She was fine till she saw the fully dressed. My wife is quite tolerant. She does have a problem being around me fully dressed. A wig or makeup other than lipstick is more than she is ready for. I can wear pretty much what ever is in my wardrobe sans the wig.

Discuss this with your wife. She needs a heads up and her thoughts heard.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

I would have to agree with most here talk to her about the wig first
    My wife does not mind me wearing a wig around her she has helped me pick out some of my wigs and even bought one for me

It is very interesting where our SOs draw the line. There was never never much of an outcry from my wife as I went from underdressing to full dressing including light makeup. The wig was fine, but the line drawn was toe nail polish and lipstick. When I have crossed that line, I hear " I don't know why you like wearing women's clothes". If I stay on my side of the line, life is good.