Thread: First visit to the Endo

Thumbs up First visit to the Endo

Hi everyone! So as I mentioned in my introduction, I just had my first endo visit on Wednesday and I would like to expand on it here.

The appointment started off with a nice old lady confirming my basic information and medical history. Then she left and a 4th year medical student came in and asked some more detailed questions. She was basically the the Endo's main assistant and was really nice as well. She mentioned that she has mainly only seen FtMs so far so this was a good learning experience for her. Not really relevant, but I thought she was gorgeous!!!

Then the Endo finally entered and not very surprisingly, she was super nice as well! I again answered a lot of the same questions, as the Endo wanted to make sure I have a healthy history and such. She mentioned that she got the referral letter from my therapist and wanted to make sure I was still doing okay emotionally. Then she did a brief inspection of my breathing. Kind of funny, she pointed out that I really don't have much body hair and I had to tell her I shave my arms. Then she asked if I shaved my legs too, since I was wearing jeans and she couldn't see and of course I said yes. After that she told me in detail the side effects of spiro and estrogen and we talked about which method of estrogen I would like. It was either pills or patches for me so I just picked patches. She walked me through how she would like for me to start off slowly with spiro since I have a low blood pressure. I told her how impatient I am to go as fast as possible and got her to slightly increase the pace.

Throughout the appointment I remained very comfortable and at ease, while beforehand I was really nervous. When it was over I was given a lab order for blood testing and we set up an appointment for 3 months from now to go back. Interestingly I have recently read that many Endos don't like to tell their MtF patients to gain weight even when they think it might be good for them. I am 5'7" and 114 pounds and on my appointment details sheet, under advice, it says I should gain some weight! Haha, I think I will help myself to some extra icecream, for my health of course!

Currently I am waiting for her to receive my blood test results and set up my prescriptions so I can start HRT. I can't wait!

Congratulations Lindsey, you're on your way!
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

So that was you doing a happy dance that I just heard!!

good for you!!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Gold Member
    The beginning of a long journey! Stay as patient as you can as it will serve you well. As far as weight, I think many have put on weight after going on HRT. It may end up easier than you think.

Sue is so right (as usual). I lost 65 lbs. in the months before starting HRT, and while I have managed to lose 5 lbs. more since starting HRT, the process has slowed to an absolute crawl in these last 6 weeks. Worse yet, I find I am hungrier now (as if my body WANTS me to gain weight!). I am 5'10" and weight 198 right now, so while I am a far cry from where I was last summer, I definitely don't need to gain any weight. In fact, I'd still really like to drop 20 lbs. or more (although I suspect muscle mass weight will drop over the course of the next couple of years, which will help leave behind the more masculine form). I just have to watch out for those blasted carbs or this will all reverse on me!

Congrats, Lindsey, on taking that next big step in living your authentic life. It's such a wonderful thing when we finally accept ourselves and do this. I'm right there with you.

Karen

Congratulations for having done that first major step! I know how satisfying it is to leave the endo's office, that is the beginning of a crazy adventure!

I am also 5'7, but 114 lbs! Goodness, you have to look really skinny. I am 160, I used to be 185 and my goal is to reach 150, but since I started HRT, my weight is almost constant now. I have heard from my TG friend I need to have a high fat/low carb diet. The fat helps for breast development (which is probably what you meant by gaining weight).

Thanks so much everyone! Still waiting impatiently for the blood results but at least I feel like the journey is really taking off finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn View Post
    Congratulations for having done that first major step! I know how satisfying it is to leave the endo's office, that is the beginning of a crazy adventure!

I am also 5'7, but 114 lbs! Goodness, you have to look really skinny. I am 160, I used to be 185 and my goal is to reach 150, but since I started HRT, my weight is almost constant now. I have heard from my TG friend I need to have a high fat/low carb diet. The fat helps for breast development (which is probably what you meant by gaining weight).
    Haha yes, I do look pretty skinny. I've had people bugging me about eating more my whole life. And yeah I want to gain weight for my future boobies and booty!

Congrats and best wishes on your journey!!!

If you feel good at the weight you are at then that is all that matters.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Congratulations on beginning your journey. Be patient with the endo. She wants to get your levels right. Go very slowly with the Spiro. I had to continue my low dose as it lowered my BP too much,and I was having dizzy spells, on Finasteride now. Keep up your physical and dietary regimens. When your levels stabilize, you will gain weight naturally, just a byproduct of elevating your Estrogen.

Hugs,
    Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Congrats Lindsey! It's going to be a strange and wonderful journey. Always remember, it's a journey, not a race.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    Go very slowly with the Spiro. I had to continue my low dose as it lowered my BP too much,and I was having dizzy spells
    Thanks, this is good to know. I will not take more spiro then I was told to take. Do you have any advice for keeping blood pressure up?

Thanks Leah! It's so hard to think of it as a journey instead of a race but I'll do my best.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-22-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar

Exclamation Moderator's note

Please remember that while it is fine to share your personal experiences, it is not appropriate to give more than very general medical advice to other members.

The majority of us are not qualified medical practitioners and even those who are will not have benefited from examining the other member professionally.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

All the best on your journey!

congrats, the day you get those pills is such a great day, the day i got my E i wanted to take the whole bottle but did resist the urge

Banned Read only
    Congratulations on the beginning of a wonderful and sometimes quite strange journey. Follow your doctors instructions to the letter and you will do just fine.

Congratulations on a great endo visit! I'm glad it went so well for you.

I was nervous on my first visit and my fears were unfounded.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]