Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estradiol patch question

Good idea, Eryn. And here's the info:

"The active component of the system is estradiol. The remaining components of the system
    (acrylate copolymer adhesive, fatty acid esters, and polyethylene backing) are
    pharmacologically inactive."

Lallie
    Time for a change.

I never tried the patches I have been through injections since I started HRT 23 1/2 months ago with a injection every 2 weeks.Don't like talking pills. I heard different things about the patches though I do love the injections

I went to the Dr. Today and she agreed that patches might work for me. She submitted a prescription to my pharmacy so I can pick them up tomorrow .

Quote Originally Posted by KellyTG View Post
    I always put some water proof tape over my Climara patches just in case. I have yet to have one come off so far.

I just found something that works much better. I use a 4" X 4" tegaderm clear patch over mine now. I get them off of Ebay @ 27.00 for 50 of them. They work great~

I started my first patch yesterday. I noticed that the oral dosage was much higher than the patch dosage. Is this because the patch is absorbed into the system better? Also where is the best place to put the patch to get the best absorption?

Untitled
    Oral dosages are higher because of the action of the liver removing a certain amount, at least that is what I was told by my pharmacist when I first started HRT. If you read the directions of the patches, you will see that you should wear them below the waist, in an area that is not likely to be exposed to excessive rubbing. I wear mine on my thighs, alternating the thigh and location each change.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Nigella is correct. The oral route looses some during absorption through the GI tract, then a bit more in the first pass through the liver before the hormone goes off to do its thing; thence, returning to the liver for final pass and soon, excretion. Transdermal absorption skips the relative inefficiency of the GI tract.

I wear mine on my thighs, alternating the thigh and location each change.
    This varies with the patch and physician. My patch instructions say to apply to the upper buttocks or lower abdomen. My endo says they can go anywhere you can pinch a bit of fat. Apparently, fat helps absorption. Also, buttocks are about 15% better than abdomen in absorbtion efficiency.

I'm currently wearing 3 patches and find that the twice-per-week variety are much better than the weekly type. They are less than half the size which helps them stay put and they aren't as prone to ooze sticky stuff.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought of the thigh.

Untitled
    The directions for mine just state below the waist, with no specific area. For me the thighs are the best because there I less chance of them coming off if rubbed by everyday activities.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I've been on the patch for 9 months, 2 at a time. I had placed them either side of my belly button but got tired of looking at them and seeing the grey oozing adhesive outline on them as the week goes by. I recently went to my hips at the height of my belly button and they are fine there. The trick is finding a place to put them where they don't wrinkle up as your torso bends and moves. Also, adhesion hasn't been a real problem, I apply them to an area after using rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball to thoroughly clean off any oils, etc. I have had them come partially loose in a shower, then after drying off, simply applying pressure over the patch for a bit and they go right back to sticking. Less wrinkling is best for adhesion. I have used name brand and generic and both produce the same results, tenderness in the breasts, I have no other way to judge effectiveness as I only get blood checks every 6 months and haven't gotten to my first one yet, but almost. I like the idea of the buttocks and am interested in the 15% higher absorption rate mentioned earlier, although it seems it would almost take a game of Twister to visualize placing them there?

Yes, the buttocks are a challenge and I'm glad I have Mimi to help!

I put them all on one side in a horizontal line just south of where the plumber's cleavage starts. I alternate sides which gives my electrologist a chance to work on the area.

I solved the stickiness problem by cutting ovals of Saran Wrap a bit larger than the patches and applying them to the patches. The adhesive that oozes out holds the wrap in place without sticking to my panties.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I've been using patches for almost 8 weeks now and for the first four weeks was having tremendous difficulties keeping the patches on. I found an amazing solution online which is waterproof! They are called Transparent Dressing 3M TegadermTM Film 6 X 8 Inch, 10 Per Box on Amazon. It's a big sticky transparent square that goes over the patch. I have had 0 problems with showers and the patches stay 100% on no matter what. It's only $2 per patch, but it's well worth it since a patch that doesn't stay on is a loss of $10-20+ dollars.

My only qualm about the tegaderms is that it sometimes gets a bit itchy on day 6 and 7. So far they've been a bit itchy 2 out of the 4 weeks I've been using them (itchy for just 1 or 2 days each weeks) and to me it's not a very big deal. I highly recommend them and who knows, they may not be itchy at all for you.

EDIT: I should also mention that since the patch is covered by the transparent tegaderm thingy, fabric can not cling to the patch adhesive and leave marks. After taking the patch and tegaderm off all you see is a slightly red circle for a day or two. I also recommend placing the patch on your upper buttocks area. Putting in on your lower abdomen in front isn't good because when you hunch over while sitting your body bends in that spot.
    Last edited by Lindsey C; 06-22-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Funny you should mention this Today, I had to call my Doctor and talk to the nurse about them falling off, Thursday, Fell off, Friday fell off, Saturdays made it till Today and now it's gone? So she said wait a couple hours after a shower until you are really dry and then sit down and put it on top of Buttocks and maybe even Blow dry for a sec or two to make sure it sticks. But I may have to get those strips to cover it up also? We shall see,lol