Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why has Facebook become so horrible

Quote Originally Posted by natcrys View Post
    ...I use it on my own terms.. which applies for both my boy and girl account. I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg can use his algorithms to figure out that I'm a CD, but I noticed that as long as you don't have overlapping contacts and use different browsers.. I'm not in too much trouble....
    Do you post from two different IP addresses? If not, your accounts are easily connected with each other.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Vicki,
    It's not just FB that potential employers surf. Twitter, YouTube, any of the online places where unsuspecting and often naive teenagers go and leave their digital imprint.

I helped out in a seminar about 18 months ago where we took a group of 16-18 year olds and talked about this very issue. Companies will and do look to see what sort of behavioral traits their potential employees display. Someone who continuously posts about scoring some great gear or relating just how smashed they were each night will set alarm bells ringing. Inappropriate selfies can easily come back to haunt the unsuspecting 17 year old in later life.

Being on FB in it's self isn't necessarily a bad thing. I use it to keep in touch with old colleagues and for that it's ideal. Unless you want to disconnect from the digital age then there is always a compromise. If you have a smartphone and use any Google related app then you only have to look at what you agree to when allowing those permissions. Why does Google maps need to be able to remotely turn on your camera and read your contacts list, turn on your microphone? Millions of us have allowed Big Brother into our lives and you can bet our governments would do anything to limit it.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I came to the realization that the whole facebook thing was a farce, when, one young woman had a bit too much to drink; had lost her purse. She had come to our country, and my city, for a concert, and had gotten separated from her friends. With no cell phone, she didn't know anyone's phone number or address. What she did have, was she remembered her facebook ID and password. So, lending her my phone, she logged on. And though she had over 2000 friends on facebook, she didn't have a single one who would help her get home. She stayed at our company overnight; getting more desperate as the night went on. We tried using various tricks to get her friend's phone numbers, but as none of them had a landline, nothing was listed in online directories. By morning, she was running out of hope; concert over, no one knew where she was. As my shift was coming to an end, my heart went out to her; stuck in a foreign country, no ID, no money, no way home, couldn't even be able to call her place of business until the following monday when her company was open. The only thing she knew was where her friends were staying in the city over the bridge, but didn't even know the address, just a landmark. I used that to narrow down the area, and searched with google street view. We figured out the approximate address. And I paid for her cab ride (I would hope that someone would help me should I find myself in such a situation). And the one thing that was burned into my mind about all this was, how useless all those facebook 'friend me' requests really are.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

"how useless all those facebook 'friend me' requests really are. "

Recently there was a documentary on UK TV filmed in a secondary school. One teenaged girl who if I remember correctly was suffering from bullying issues was asked by a teacher just how many FB friends she had. "2000" came the reply. The teachers look spoke more to the girl than a 1 hour lecture.

And if you've not yet seen it, the next biggie is Periscope. This allows someone to stream live video directly to the web from a smartphone where it can be viewed for the next 24 hours. So you're out dressed going about your own business and some little s*%t thinks they're Cecil B. DeMille and have the right to "film the tranny LOL" and post it world wide, well get ready for your closeup!
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 04-29-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Reality Check
    When you leave your home, you cannot expect privacy. That's long gone. Every store that can afford it has video surveillance. Gas station, ATM, etc. Parks, city streets, and yes, individual people. So someone could be recording you out dressed on video and posting it already. It just takes a little more work.

You can buy eyeglass cams or other hidden cameras so it's not obvious what you're doing.

I use Facebook regularly but I'm guessing that's because of my generation. I usually don't post much unless I've done something exciting or want to post pictures.

That's the only flaw I find with using forums such as this, it's a bit dated and has a lack of social connection. It would be nice to be able to have photo albums on our profiles or like each other's posts and things but alas.

Does anyone use Instagram or anything and recommend joining? I had a second Facebook account once for my other side but it was before I had pictures or anything.