Thread: The Great Reveal

The Great Reveal

Today, things that simple words can only do so much to explain happened, but I will try my best.
    -
    It is the one of most terrifying things everyone who is a member of the LGBT community has to do eventually. Today I "came out of the closet". As my hand shook uncontrollably I pressed the send button of a message addressed to my whole family revealing that I am transsexual.
    -
    Pressing that button was the hardest, most terrifying, and.... best decision I have ever made.
    -
    None of my family members rejected me and no one responded with hatred. The response from family were all of support and love. My bond with the family not only stayed intact, it got stronger.
    -
    As for me, the shroud of lies that I hid myself behind for 22 years has finally dispersed. I am free to fulfill my dreams unhindered, without regret, and... without losing anybody. I am finally smiling and the tears running down my face right now are tears of joy, I haven't felt those in a long time.
    Last edited by MentalCookie; 04-25-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Grammar

Congrats! coming out is terrifying, and liberating. I'm glad yours is going well. Work, and family are the most difficult.

Wow! Congratulations!

23 years old and 4 days out from sending that exact same message to my immediate family. Your not alone. I had a very similar reaction, though I still have work to do if I want to continue on to other family members/friends.

What is your next step?

Banned Read only
    Congratulations, you have taken a huge step towards your future. I am glad your family is being supportive. However, just a little caution note. It is normal behavior for family to be supportive in the beginning but given a little time to think about things, there may be dissension of a few. Again, this is normal. It is up to you to live your life the best you can and to show them this is a definite improvement of yourself. Now go get 'em!

Well, I think its time to kick things in motion. On May 7, I will bring up "Gender Dysphoria" when I talk to my psychiatrist.

If they are truly my family, the will never reject or forsake me!
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-25-2015 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Please edit your previous post rather than multi post, the FAQs will explain how to do this

Roll up your sleeves now hun, there's lots to do now as you follow through. This forum, it's members, and it's searchable archives are a treasure of knowledge and experience. Good luck and good health to you!
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

That is very impressive that you took this on so honestly

I am so happy that you are able to do this and that you enjoy the support and love of your family!!!

There is lots more to do as Ann says and you are right to start with your psych doctor who can maybe help you find a gender therapist

Gold Member
    It is terrifying, but also one of the best things for us as it is a a huge step forward. If I was to make a recommendation after this, it is to continue to talk to your family, but not about this. Keep things going as they always have been. If you get nervous about talks, then the communication can start going in the wrong direction. Your Mental Cookie is pretty strong!

good for you. While it is terrifying, it is liberating at the same time particularly your results !

Yes, now, lots of work to do. Watch for the sudden speed bumps along the way, but keep your family in the loop.

Best of luck!

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Congratulations, I completely understand about hitting the send button not knowing what the responses might be which I did when hitting send on a Facebook note to 150 friends.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass