Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came out to my sister

Came out to my sister

Hey all!

Well.. I came out to my sister there an hour ago and just thought I would share. I have always wanted to tell her and finally had my own acceptance level to tell her. I sent her a text message yesterday asking if I could talk about something with her, she didnt get back to me for an hour or two later so I had lost the courage I had built up expecting to get straight into a conversation. She then rang me which shook me since I was hoping to discuss by text and then if a face to face conversation happened I would be more comfortable about it so I just asked if she was out shopping and I had wanted her to check if a new film was on sale yet. Later that evening I sent her another message saying that I had actually wanted to talk about something but I wasnt prepared for a phone call and I would talk with her the next day(today)

She called up to collect her daughter from our house since my mom was babysitting for her, came into my room and was like ''whats up?''
    I spent the whole afternoon dreading it, butterflies in my stomach, the works. I finally managed to croak out that I was transgender. I explained that there were different forms of it( spectrum) what I was like specifically and answered her questions, one of which it seems everyone asks: ''are you attracted to men or women?''

So pretty much everything was explained and she said that it didnt bother her in the slightest, and in a joking way she said '' I dont care what you get up to in your own time and im sure you dont care what I do either'' she gave me a hug when I told her how nervous I had been and she said that no one should have to live with such fear and that she was glad I had told her. I said to her that im sure she has heard all about bruce jenner and that I didnt think that was the route I would end up going down or how much of my life I would be the other side of myself and she said whatever happens happens and that it made no difference.

We talked about how I had told our mom about 6 or 7 years ago and how that experience went and we both agreed that maybe she didnt respond as we would have expected her to due to a lack of understanding on her behalf and that since I was unsure of myself at the time and couldnt explain it very well that she thought I might have been in a phase.

So after an afternoon of fear and trepidation I am now far more relieved, confident in myself and more willing to have a re-talk with my mom since im still stuck at home while im studying for my degree.

Sarah x
    Last edited by Sarah-RT; 05-04-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Congratulations, Sarah! Its a brave thing to come out and never a step taken lightly. It sounds like your sister is super cool, you lucky gal, you!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Fantastic news Sarah. It's always great to have someone to confide in. It is a big step too, one I can't make with my siblings, but you'll feel so much stronger with a supportive sister for the upcoming discussion with your mum. Congrats and all that on your reveal and hope you go from strength to strength (if that's the right phrase) and to the future open lifestyle that awaits you.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Awesome! Getting that fear outside yourself is the greatest thing in the world. Congratulations! I'm glad your sister reacted well and sorry to read that your Mom apparently didn't. But the next best thing to instant acceptance is acceptance after the other person has a chance to work it out, so perhaps there's that in store.
    Last edited by Pat; 05-04-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo

I'm very glad that it went well for you!!

Platinum Member
    That was a very good, gracious and supportive expression from your sis. I hope the next conversation with your mom goes better then the one six years ago.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    good for you....i told my sister too a while ago.....it went like this ...

SISTER ....." I have something to tell you ...I'm Lesbian "

ME...."Thats cool...I like To wear a dress"

We have a very unique family. xoxo

That's great! Wish I could do that with my sister....

That's great, Sarah! It's wonderful feeling, isn't it, to be open with someone and know they support you? And the best thing is it seems to be a more and more common story.

Way to go, Sarah! I'm happy it turned out well for you.

Great sister

I told my step sister about 9 years ago and she took it great. we talked about how to tell the rest of the family and we decided that it would not be a good idea. congrats on your coming out.

Amy

Congratulations Sarah. Very brave and glad it worked out well. You have a great sister. All the best for the re-talk with your mom.

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    I'm glad you shared that with us. I love reading about other's experiences. I'm very happy it
    went well. Your sister seems like a wonderful, accepting person. I hope your re-talk with
    your mom works out as well.
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

Aspiring Member
    If I lived closer to my sister I would like to tell her. At one time we were close until I met my ex-wife then it went down hill. Ex-wife did call them up and told them the reason for our divorce was that I would dress up as a woman, there were other reasons but that was the excuse she used. I would like to come out to her but seeing we live about a hundred miles apart and I live in the country where she lives in the city I don't see a reason for coming out to her at this time.

Great news Sarah really pleased it went so well for you, good luck with your mother next!

A face to face meeting with your sister was definitely the best way.
    I hope it helps to keep you close with each other.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind messages! she certainly seems the good kind alright, as kids we would often fight as kids do but ive always thought highly of her and even more so now.

I like to think that the efforts of those who came before me helped pave the way for the more accepting society im growing up in and that this may help others to come in the future which its all about

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Congratulations Sarah, and happy for you that things went well with your sister. Good luck with your mother.

Platinum Member
    Hi Sarah, It's always wonderful to read a great thread like this.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Yay! Congratulations! I'm happy your sister was so accepting. Maybe your mom will come around too.

Big step, congratulations Sarah! It's great to hear it went well

Congrats my dear! Your family can be your biggest supporters.
    I'm half the man I used to be, and twice the person that I once was...and Nothing beats a great pair of L'eggs. Be all you can be ladies! WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sarah,

Congrats . . . I know how nice it feels when you tell someone and they give you the love and support you need.

Hugs

Isha

Congrats Sarah!