Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd rather you have cancer! :(

Unhappy I'd rather you have cancer! :(

yep.... that's what my wife said to me during our talk yesterday...

I had my appointment with the endo (wife knew about, and has seen my official diagnosis of GID /Dysphoria, being a candidate for HRT.) at the dr's office, after answering some questions and getting some blood tests, they prescribed me spiro & estridiol (so now i'm one of the happiest girls in the world ) later wife asks, what medicine did they give you (after she got upset about me having blood tests), so i told her, she says.."ok"... then apparently she realized what the medicines were for, (i wonder if she thought that I, as an MTF TS, would go to 2 doctors, and a counselor... to get male hormones )

a while later, she flips out about how i'm going to shrink (in places), grow breasts, etc.... which really hurt me... a lot, it's like the only parts of me she cares about... is the physical wrapper, and a minor and frequently unreliable organ...
    so i asked her, if i had some sort of cancer there and they had to remove it, what would you do? ..... "that's different".... later in the evening, she looks at me and says "i would rather you had cancer than this." I was like what? her reasoning is that cancer doesn't last for 60-70 years.... :| so yeah.... i'm still kind of upset/depressed/hurt over that....

on a better note, I did tell my parents, (even my dad, who was a bit nonplussed about the whole thing initially, told me that he was glad that I was happy and sounded more confident.. , and a couple of close friends, and they have been universally supportive
    My YT randomness - http://www.youtube.com/user/thelynnef1 (closed, please use twitter - http://twitter.com/Lynne__f

Lynne, my heart goes out to you and your wife. How long has she known about your intentions ? Just finding that your husband is cross dressing is too much for some woman,so I have to imagine that this is 100x more difficult for her. Remember that people under extreme stress say things that they later regret. Whatever the case I hope that you both can come to some agreement.

Silver Member
    Lynne - Although her comment was cruel, I can understand how she feels. If my partner decided to change his or her body appearance, I might not understand. She needs help. Seems like you are doing what is best for you and I am glad for you. But what is best for her? She married you as a guy. This is quite difficult.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Have to agree with Heather...it does appear you're being a little self-centered about this. She married a man. You're beginning a physical transformation, and the reality of that must be pretty shocking to her. I'm not saying I don't understand your need to do this...I do. But at least make an effort to see her side of it. I have a wife who fully accepts me as a transgendered man who occasionally likes to look and feel pretty as a woman. If I did that permanently, I wouldn't be surprised if she moved on...women have their own needs and desires, after all.

Platinum Member
    My question is just how much have you engaged and involved your wife in the process. It almost sounds as if she was just learning of these decisions for the first time. Is that a reasonably fair appraisal? If so, you don't appear to have spent much time or effort on helping her work through this with you.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Congrats that your taking the path to fulfill your needs. In the long term you will likely be happier. That said, I agree with Heather and Isabella. Your wife is not wrong for wanting a man. It is what makes her happy, so your paths may divide and in a lot of ways that may be what's best. Likewise, I don't think you can compare parents and friends acceptance to a spouse. She sleeps with you, they don't. Huge difference.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi Lynne, The comment at face value is sharp and cuts deep but........I could imagine also that in the heat of discussion we sometimes say things that we don't actually mean OR could have been put a better way. If you were to follow up on this discussion now, given that your wife has had time to think more, what would she say?
    When you saw your endo. did she know what the purpose of the consultation was for? and is that perhaps why she reacted like she did? I can imagine it would be a very dramatic/shocking revelation to her.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Hey congrats to you. I am glad that you are beginning down a path that you obviously want to.

And I suppose I am going to buck the trend here, but WTH? I've had cancer, thankfully no longer (a level 2 melanoma btw) and I have been cancer free for about 15 years. It is easy to say that oh well cancer doesn't last for 60-70 years, but really cancer is a pretty big concern cause you know it can kill you. It was a pretty careless thing for her to say.

Obviously it is a big concern for her and it does possibly sound as though maybe she was not a part of this process from the very beginning, thus it does sound as though it was pretty shocking for her. But still, to tell someone that they would rather they potentially have a death sentence is pretty extreme.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lynn, It sounds like you've made up your mind to do this and it's probably not going to end well
    between you and your wife, I wish you the best.

It may be time to talk to a lawyer before the whole thing blows up in your face..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

it was actually her idea for me to go see the drs... i have been telling her things as they occur, she just now decided to change.... i also told her about myself when we first started talking years ago
    We've mostly reached a compromise for now, Hopefully it'll stick...

Nadine- yeah, that was my reaction as well.. , great that your cancer is(and remains) gone

Sorry for my funky wording, i was still kind of reeling from what she said, and probably wasn't the most coherent

Thank you for the well wishes though, and i probably deserved soke of th criticism...

Banned Read only
    Well, that is a rather extreme thing to say but I think it says more about her anger over the change you re causing to the relationship. She's mad. The comment was insensitive but try to keep some objectivity. You are moving forward, but she is being left behind. She invested a "life" with you and it's over. I can not imagine how jarring that would be.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm confused about the whole thing.
    Seems you are not even considering how she feels at all.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 05-06-2015 at 10:22 PM.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your wife. Maybe she just needs more time. I'm glad you have support elsewhere though. Stay strong! <3

Hell-o Lynne,
    I don't think her comment was meant to wish a cancer upon you, but more that
    she meant that if you did have cancer it would be easier for her to accept.
    Regardless, you should talk with her and let her know how you feel about what she has said.
    You may be moving forward, that doesn't have to mean she is being left behind.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

I tend to agree with Kristyn, adding that perhaps your wife's comment wasn't well thought through when she made it. When emotions run high we sometimes say things we don't mean.

A more important issue is the fact that you apparently started HRT without talking about it throughly with your wife. You and she should have discussed and understood all the ramifications of your treatment before it began. She doesn't seem to be at all in the information loop and the blame for that lies with both parties.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Lynn, I can understand how you feel and can sympathize with your wife as well. This is one of most SO's greatest fears, losing their spouse through transition.
    Dana Ryan

Your wife probably signed up for a "happy ever after", and has recently found out it was cancelled.

I can imagine she is going to go through the "hate you" period, probably "anti male" as well.
    I hope she has access to counselling to get her through this trauma of losing her "mate".

As parents, we generally want the best for our kids, regardless of gender.
    Hope your lives can move on freely and without to many bumps.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Read only
    Ironically enough, I wished I had cancer, rather than being trans. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose these things.

I'm sorry she said that to you, it was very cruel. She is likely grieving. Many women react as if their spouse has died when they start transition. Indeed, I spent the first 6 months of my transition feeling like a ghost when I was around my wife, or old friends. My appearance, regardless of what I did or said, seemed to just cause pain and grief. I hope your wife comes around in time. Some do.

Hell-o again Lynne, There are a lot of replies here that are putting an end to your relationship.
    If you and your wife have had a decent relationship up to this point, you can find a
    way to include this into it. Sure things will change between the two of you, but the love that
    tied the two of you together can't be erased. Keep communications open with her, if she doesn't
    come to you with questions, bring some up to her.
    Much Love,
    Keistyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Lynne,

I am glad that you are finding your way to become the person you need to be as that is important for everyone . . . being happy (very glad to read your parents are supportive).

As many have said, while your wife's comments "cut you deep" and were hurtful I agree that it was most likely out of frustration, fear and anger. She may have prompted you to go the to the doctor but was probably hoping in her heart of hearts it was going to be moot with no transition. She is probably feeling quite alone now as she watches you move forward. Give her time and see what transpires. I agree with Kristyn that this does not necessarily mean the end of your relationship but that may need to be tabled for another day. Let her know you are still there for her and see what happens.

Hugs

Isha

+ 1 for Nadine's reply. as I too have cancer, stage 4 incurable.

I'm sorry that things aren't going well between you and your wife.

It looks to me as if you both have a different understanding of what is going on. I don't know how much time your wife has spent reading resources online to familiarize herself with the effects of HRT and anti-androgens, but I get the impression that she may have initially thought they are analogous to anti-depressants (your post from a few months ago) and they would get rid of your depression without affecting anything else. It's difficult for some people outside of this community to understand gender issues, let alone the chemical properties of medication and drugs, especially when the gender issues relate to a person they have known as strictly male. A lot of people cannot make that mental switch.

As to the cancer comment, of course I don't know your wife, but given what you've written I translate it to, "It would be easier for me to understand you having cancer than having GD. I know people who have cancer, but I know no one who has GD". And, "At least cancer is curable and it doesn't look like GD is curable, and so I don't know what's going to happen with us because I don't know if I can (or I'm not wired to be) in a relationship with another woman".
    Reine

I'm going to add my own voice to that of the other ladies here who have already cautioned you to perhaps not read too much into the emotionally-charged comments that your wife made in response to a situation which confounds her, and one over which she feels she has neither input nor control over.

I seriously doubt that she would wish a life-threatening illness like cancer on you. My interpretation is that for her, cancer is a more relatable illness, and although serious, there is often a cure for it. Furthermore, there is no "shame" connected with being either a cancer sufferer or survivor. On the contrary, people who battle cancer are often elevated to hero status considering what they have to go through with chemotherapy, radiation and the like, whereas few can fathom what living with GID is like, nor appreciate the fact that we are heroes in our own right in dealing with this as best we can...those that make it, anyway, given the generally accepted statistic that around 44% of young people wrestling with GID and who have no discernible support system have either attempted - or succeeded - in committing suicide.

Yes, cancer affects everyone connected to the victim almost as much as it does him/herself, as does transitioning from either M-T-F or F-T-M to their family, friends, and co-workers. Both require a huge adjustment in attitudes and mindsets regarding the new reality on behalf of all parties involved, but somehow, cancer seems to be easier to deal with within this context because the sufferer is still seen as being a victim who had no control over their fate. In many cases, we TG folks are still regarded as being self-indulgent, self-centered narcissists who have little regard for the effect that our predilection has on others, and if we just tried hard enough, we could simply "get over it" and life would be good for everyone again.

Constant communication and continued education on this issue along with guidance from trained professionals familiar with this condition are the key to a better understanding for your wife. What she does with this information is ultimately up to her, and if she truly can't accept what is happening to you despite all this, then there unfortunately is very little else you can do about it, and a split from her may very well be in your future...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 05-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Dear Lynne,

The elation of passing one more milestone along your journey, damped by the anguish of your wife's harsh words. This bittersweet turn of events must have you reeling. This may be your wake up call to carefully analyze your relationship, taking an objective and critical view of your participation.

Some of the members advise preparing for a rocky road leading to divorce. While extreme, these things don't always happen to "the other guy", and it may happen to you. I hope that it doesn't.

Others, myself included, believe that your relationship, though seriously wounded, can be healed. It will never be the same, but it can evolve into something different and potentially as satisfying.

These paths, as well as many others will not come without some amount of effort.

What are you going to do?

Best wishes
    MsVal

Banned Read only
    What your wife said may seem cruel or harsh, but, not having heard the words, I (we) cannot hear voice inflections, facial expressions, etc. All those are part of communication. I think there is a certain amount of expectations in a marriage between a man and a woman. I think your wife was conveying her belief most cancers can be cured or at least put into remission.

If I were a wife/woman and my husband told me he was on the road to transform himself into a woman, what would I feel and what would I do? After the initial sock? I think my life would be thrown totally out of whack. Frankly, I'd give my husband his freedom to do what was best for him, and, I do what was best for me.