Thread: Good Things Happening

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good Things Happening

Many here don't know me from many years ago. I have been very busy in life and a big part of that is advocacy (as opposed to activism) for our community.

Beginning earlier in the week, I received an email from the Co-chair of the Positive Space group at our college. (Kind of reminds me of Jenny Boylan back in the day.) He was wondering if I would out myself to the School of Nursing and do training about transgender, and secondly, to teach the teachers what they need to know so they can pass it on to the students.

Several back and forth emails later I met with the dept. Chair. It was obvious she was as in the dark about trans* as I had thought they would be. This was confirmed by a quick look at the text the students are using. Horrible. It was a facepalm moment for sure.

So, the end result is that I will be doing 2, hour and a half seminars next week. I have met a few people in the division now and hopefully solved a couple of issues her trans* students are having when in clinic.

The steps may seem small but when we remember who we first meet on a doctor's visit, something as simple as using your preferred name can make it all worthwhile.

We can make a difference. It isn't easy but win a heart and we have an ally. Plant a seed of doubt and we have a potential ally. Now for the burning question... what to wear? *giggles*
    Last edited by Kimberley; 05-08-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...