Thread: recent experience regarding pronouns while at work

recent experience regarding pronouns while at work

You know, it seems that after the interview with Bruce Jenner. And being that I work as a 1:1 behaviorist at an elementary school, that is part of the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network. A lot of my coworkers, parents of kids that I interact with, and school bus drivers; have come up to me more. To ask me questions regarding many different issues; such as the whole gender and sexual preference, that's all so confusing; pronouns; and how I would personally like to be addressed.

While I don't mind having these conversations with coworkers and parents, which can be a bit tricky sometimes. There's a fine line you don't want to cross, especially with parents. It's nice to know that those around me seem curious enough to ask questions. And in some way it gives me the feeling that I'm making a difference in/for my community.

Just yesterday, while I was having lunch with classroom in the cafeteria. One of the students, who was already having a difficult morning, began to misbehave. Causing one of the custodians, who has dealt with this student before and knows the parents, to come over and talk to the student. As the custodian was talking to this student, he began mentioning all of the adults in the classroom (there's 5 of us) that the student needs to listen to.

After the custodian mentioned all the other adults. He then turned to me to ask what my name was again (he knows who I am, but not my name). Now because I am still showing up at work as a guy. Albeit, in a more androgynous form. I looked at him and said William.

At which point, the custodian looked at me briefly with a confused and unsure look about his face. Then turned back to the student and said "and you need to listen to (stumbling on the pronoun) Mis....Mr..."MR." William". I know that it's going to a learning curve for some of those around me, especially since I'm still in guy mode at work. So I didn't make a big deal about it, nor think much about it. At least until I begin stepping into being Billie in all areas of my life.

Then when I got to work this morning. One of the other aides in the classroom; whose daughters friend is a transgender male; pulled me to the side. And in a quite voice, told me how the custodian went up to her after I left for lunch yesterday. And embarrassingly asked her how I should be addressed. And that he hoped I was not offended when he asked me what my name was. Now, because I had the conversation of pronouns with the aide before. She told me that her response to him was that its not an issue for me and that if it did offended me, I would say something.

So this afternoon, after lunch was over and the students were getting ready for recess. I decided to go to the custodian (which should have been more in private) and began talking to him about him stumbling on my name and that it was okay. How I'm still presenting as a guy at work, what my female name was, and that it will be more of an issue next school year.

At the end of the conversation he looked at me and asked that I keep him informed in how to address me, my supervisor looked at me and gave me a wink, and the lunch lady that was near by looked at me and smiled.

Gold Member
    Cool! Education matters! Sounds like an interesting situation since you are now openly transitioning, it can add that extra level of confusion for those that haven't learned yet. Rock on!

Well, when you send out mixed messages and are in between, there will be a bit of confusion. One day if you transition it gets easier. At leasttthey are being nice.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Banned Read only
    Even though we have been out there educating people for years, the Trans movement is just starting to take hold. Many have never had to experience us before in their day to day life. Be patient, be kind, and learn to deal with it. If done correctly, it will never be a problem again.

Sounds like things are going well. People are trying to be respectful and open, even if they're unsure how to act in this new (to them, if not to you) paradigm. Best wishes!