Thread: I came out to my sister...what took me so long?

I came out to my sister...what took me so long?

While I have a healthy relationship with all my siblings, the bond I’ve shared with my oldest sister is the strongest. We are very much alike when it comes to personalities, sensitive nature, and looks, having both favored our father. We are six years apart in age, which when growing up as kids, felt like light years apart to me. Nevertheless, she made time for me, even taking the training wheels off my bike when I was eight (yeah, late bloomer here) and taught me how to ride. I’ve been peddling ever since, yet occasionally in circles. Last week was one of those weeks.

My wife and I had previously theorized that she would be a person to tell, yet I didn’t want to burden her or potentially embarrass myself. My sister has known for many years that I was hiding something, but some time ago she gave up wondering. She came to the conclusion that there wasn’t anything I could be keeping to myself that would make her think less of me, or love me less. I knew deep down that was the case. While I don’t differentiate between my perceived masculine and feminine sides, as I'm one in the same, I had hid an essential part of who I am from her for far too long.

She was sorry that I felt the need for secrecy from most everyone and wished I had told her long ago. She was happy that I had found acceptance from my wife, which gave her a whole new appreciation of someone she adored the first time they met. Somewhere in the midst of telling her about Kim, she decisively stated she wanted to meet Kim next time she visited and go out. We are fortunate to see each other only once a year, as life obligations and a thousand miles of land separate us, but I’ve never felt closer.

I should’ve known better and trust the one that took my training wheels off 45 years ago. Kim

Kim, great story with a greater story in the making. How super it must be to be yourself with family members with them still loving & accepting of you. Much peace, mel

Better late then never. You certainly have a very understanding family. Happy for you

Very much the same as between me and my only sister, who is 4 years older than me (she lives 3,000km away).
    her words " this is what makes you the wonderful person you are", I cried.
    She told her family, they all sent loving emails
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

great story....and good for you

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilgirl View Post
    ...I should’ve known better and trust the one that took my training wheels off 45 years ago. Kim
    Beautifully told and a lovely sign off Kim, made me cry.

The one of my two sisters that I could have told, died just over three years ago, shortly before I came out to my wife.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

It's beautiful how your sister was so accepting, your story is awesome.

Platinum Member
    That's wonderful in so many respects. I know from my own experience that family members can often surprise us and leave one wondering why the secret was kept so hidden for so long. Alas, not everyone has the same results, but I do think your sisters response was the more common one.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey Kim, that's a great story. I love it when a plan comes together.

Sometimes it takes a long time to tell,now you have to make up for lost time.

Ido hope things will be better for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You did it when you were ready. Her response is wonderful. Your little story made me a little misty eyed.

Gone to live my life
    Hi April,

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful event with us. It is always hard to tell others but so satisfying when support is given.

Hugs

Isha

Hi Kim!
    I can relate to telling siblings while you have the chance. Most will understand and love you anyway.
    My two sisters have known for years and years. They didn't have any problem with knowing and still don't.
    My brother was a little different for me. I did finally tell him the last time I saw him. He was a little hurt that I didn't think that I could confide in him earlier.
    He passed away before I got to see him again.
    I am just glad that he knew who his little brother was. That will be three years ago that he die on the 28th of this month.
    I said all of this just to get the point across that you may not have the time to tell a loved one later.
    I am glad that things turned out good for you.

OK, I will go cry for a while now.

Awww. Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Aspiring Member
    great story Kim please give your wife and sister a big hug for me

That is beautiful. She sounds like a genuinely good person, a beautiful heart. How she felt sorry for your secrecy and her happiness to your wife's acceptance. There are people who we will love for eternity.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress