Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As Proud As Can Be

Banned Read only

As Proud As Can Be

As some of you might remember, I do a lot of work with Transgender youth. That can be anything from just lending an ear to listen to providing a place to live. At any given time there can be 4 or 5 kids that I have opened my home to after their parents have kicked out of the family home.

Tonight I am sitting here proud as can be of two of my girls. Last weekend Annie, graduated from Ohio University and yesterday (Sunday) Jennifer, graduated from Ohio State University. Both have already been hired in their field (medical) and will start their new jobs next week.

Knowing how these two started out in life, I am amazed how things have turned out for them. I am just so proud of these girls, I just had to tell someone.

Yes, you should be proud of them Jorja because it is awesome news. You gave them a chance their own parents didn't and they thrived. We need more people like you Jorja.

Platinum Member
    You not only are entitled to feel justifiable pride...you deserve the gratitude of society as a whole for helping these kids. I admire and respect your efforts.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Awesome, Jorja. I dont understand how their parents could have kicked them out of their homes. So sad. Im glad you were there for the girls.

Jorja, in a way these two young lades were lucky they were kicked out of their homes. It was only in that way that they could have encountered you, and their academic achievement shows that you are a wonderful parent.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Jorja, great job the girls did so far with their lives, they are only following wonderful leadership by you, I am very proud of all three of you. Marshalynn

My congratulations to them both

A couple of thoughts...

One is how their world opened up when they found true acceptance.

The other is how through openness without guilt and shame their gender issues became a smaller, less overriding part of their lives. For many of us our gender issues are all-consuming. Obviously not for these girls. Quite a testament for allowing children to be themselves, even when it doesn't fit into a nice neat little box.

Good job, Jorja.

Great work Jorja. You must be very proud. Every day I read about a trans kid thrown out of their home, and potentially working the streets. That's no way for a kid to live. Keep it up, we need more like you.

Jorja, thank you for letting us know. You are completely justified in bragging just a bit!!

I hope that you consider these two young women (and the others that you have mentored) to be daughters, and they consider you to be a mother to them. When my wife moved from the east coast to Kansas in the middle 60s, she worked with a lady that she called her Kansas Mother. My wife was probably closer to this lady than to her own mother. Teaching by example is one of the most important things for young people during their formative years. Parents that do not provide positive examples for their children are the cause of many wasted lives, my little soap box!!

Jorja, I hope that you have many more similar experiences in the future.

Yah Yah Yah, Jorja!

Hugs, Bria

Banned Read only
    These two girls are not my first and hopefully not my last girls to see all the way through college. In total, there are 10 others. All the others were nice but Annie and Jennifer, I have a special connection with. They were the youngest girls at 12 years old that I have ever taken in. There were many hair pulling moments with these girls and many days I just wanted to go to their parents and beat the crap out of them.

You are correct Rhonda Jean, their world did open up when they found true acceptance. From the moment they arrived they were allowed to be the person they needed to be. There is no shame or guilt. They have no GD and have very few if any issues with their gender. I know Annie plans on having GRS in the near future. Jennifer hasn't said, so I really do not know her plans. I think she just wants to settle in and get on with life for awhile. I am sure she will cross that bridge when she gets to it.

Silver Member
    Jorja,

That's a special calling and one so needed. I have friends that are deep into the foster community down here in SW Ohio. My wife and kids and I regularly volunteer to help a local co-op. Just even being there for that type of support for any orphaned or foster kid is lacking let alone LGBT issues. When the kids are too old to be cute, the options go way down. And as you know, the population of homeless kids is skewed toward the LGBT population due to lack of acceptance at home.

My wife often wonders about doing more. Soon we'll be empty nester ' s (I hope). It might be good to learn how to make a difference. Who knows, maybe that's why I was made the way I am and walked into this particular room?

PM me some time.

Jorja, you are truly an earth Angel. And you surely have secured your spot as one of heavens Angels. What you are doing for these young people is immeasurable. Keep up the good work.

Tina

I have always admired you Jorja but now I realise just how special you are. The difference you have made to so many young lives is wonderful. At times the world can seem to be such a dark place but every so often a light shines.

Awesome is the right word...

Truly inspirational... and just so... good of you!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Justifiably proud, both of them and you too.
    Wonderful.

You have a good reason to be proud!! You truly are an angel..

Megan..

Jorja, you are truly an Angel! You have every right to be proud of these girls and of yourself as well. Congratulations to these young ladies and to you.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Banned Read only
    Before anyone starts thinking I am Mother Teresa reincarnated or something, let me explain. When I was 14 my father beat the holy hell out of me and told me to get out of his house. From the time I was 4 or 5 years old, I had insisted I was a girl. He had enough of it.

I spent the next year out on the streets of Honolulu. Being transgender I paid a heavy price. I was beat and sexually abused almost everyday as soon as someone figured me out. I would fight back but when it is four or five on one there wasn't much of a chance.

One day, a very nice older lady came along and rescued me. I call her Grandma Tita. She took me in and cared for me like her own. She understood my problem and allowed me to be myself. She taught me so very much about life and how to handle myself. She made sure I got my education. Before leaving her home, I asked how could I ever repay her. She told me to pay it forward when I reached a place in life where I could.

About 15 years ago I felt I had reached that place in life. So I have been doing as Grandma Tita asked. I have been trying to pay it forward. She is turning 100 years young in a couple of months. Come hell or high water, you can bet I will be there to thank her once again for saving my life and to let her know I am indeed paying it forward and all I ask of my girls is that they pay it forward too.
    Last edited by Jorja; 05-12-2015 at 07:11 PM.

We are proud of you!!!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

Well done...Bravo. To guide a young person in need, is on the top of Special .

You are awesome Jorja. Thanks for what you do.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

The Mad Scientist
    I'm adopted myself, so, I went to pieces reading all this.
    You have a special place in my heart girl.
    Kris

Gold Member
    Well, magic happens when you put your foot up someones ass. Oh hold it. That foot is for the parents.

You and Grandma Tita are total angels Jorja. If each of those girls remember the same lesson, the amount of lives impacted is immense. A great lesson about life and how we should be living it.

Wow, Jorja. Just wow.

Lallie
    Time for a change.