Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many of us are there?

how many of us are there?

Does anyone know what percent of males crossdress?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    No way to know really.

Billions and billions and billions. No wait, that was Cosmos.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    There is only one crossdresser in the world. The other 99.9% are just trying on the cloths out of scientific curiosity.

Banned Read only
    There is no reliable statistical data on this. It is probably in the range of 1-3%, similar to the percentage of gay males. However, no one really knows. Current estimates for those of us who transition are 0.3% of the population, however, it is very likely this is low, and again, it is not studied with the rigor one would hope for - for example in the U.S. Census, or major health studies.

Let's count off.....one.

Just kidding ;-)

Aspiring Member
    In 2005 there was a large Swedish study that identified 2.8% of the male population as having what was called transvestic fetishism.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15859369

Most of the reports I've found are in the 1-3% range.

Wow! While that's a low percentage when you extrapolate the numbers over a large population, there are lots of us.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    How do we even know for sure if "We" are the crossdressers. Who is to say that everyone else is wearing the wrong cloths? How far back in history must we go before pants were invented and men were wearing skirt like clothing?
    Im sticking to my guns on this and saying that 98% of males are the crossdressers and the 2% of us are the only ones who are correct.
    Erica

Silver Member
    So the answer is no. Nobody knows.

Let's ask mister owl. One. Two. Three. Crunch. The answer is three.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 05-18-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: no need to quote op

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    Let's ask mister owl. One. Two. Three. Crunch. The answer is three.
    LMAO..........Good one Megan..
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Banned Read only
    Suzzi,
    I had my figures disputed last time this came up but surveys have indicated that from casual to full time the figure is considered about 10% !
    One of the reasons I've come to terms with it knowing I'm not the only one and if a situation arises where I may be confronted about my dressing in a group of people I know that one of the others is hoping someone doesn't notice the bra straps or the lace edge showing through on their panties !

I'm not sure how many are like us, but I am glad to know I am not the only one. For many years that was my feeling, but now I have made friends with many like minded people.

I have often wondered who came up with that percent of three or any other number for that matter. I think one needs to define what makes a crossdresser first. Is it a man who wears a pair of pantyhose or one who goes 24/7 dressed as a female. I know we have several definitions of crossdressers out there, but who says they are correct. From the many different members I see post here, all don't fall under one roof.

I have read over the years that many men have tried it. Some like it and repeat the process many times LOL. So they are the real crossdressers. The heterosexual group is the largest and I would say that about one out of fifty in any particular area may be one. On gay people, I've heard over time that ten percent or one out of ten has tried that. There are probably more crossdressers worldwide than gay people.
    Part Time Girl

Even 3% seems really high to me, but I can only go be my own experiences, not being a scientist and all. The internet makes it so easy to meet like-minded people that it just seems like there are so many of us. This is a very self-selected group here. Personally, I like being something of an odd duck. It makes life more interesting!
    The struggle. She is real.

I would imagine with the amount of men who dress in drag 'for a joke' there are far more of us than people may think. I know I've used fancy dress parties as an excuse to dress in public. I kind of live in the hop of catching a friends one day and being able to share my secret.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyNewport View Post
    Even 3% seems really high to me, but I can only go be my own experiences, not being a scientist and all. The internet makes it so easy to meet like-minded people that it just seems like there are so many of us. This is a very self-selected group here. Personally, I like being something of an odd duck. It makes life more interesting!
    Well, let's look at it this way. The best stat we have for people who transition is 0.3%-0.5%. So if 1% of the population are crossdressers, a high percentage of CDs must be transitioning. If it's more like 3% of the population, then only maybe 10% of you transition. So since everyone here swears to me that it's rare, rare, rare, super-rare, OMG asteroid hits the earth rare for a CD to transition, there must be a whole bunch of you!

Of course I'm just kidding the lack of statistics for all of this stuff is really awful. They likely kill a lot of trans people with inadequate health-care services because of this, at least here in the US. That part, unfortunately, isn't a joke.

Definitely It's 100%, I surveyed everyone at my house and that's the number that I came up with

(Disclaimer)
    Of course the statistical sample was somewhat small and may not hold true for all of society.

It's curious that, according to wikipedia, various studies have shown that maybe 1 to 1.5 % of the us population identifies as gay. I know a lot of gay folks, so, in my experience, 1 to 1.5 percent is a lot. So, if 1% or the population are cross dressers, I'm guessing I probably know way more cross dressers than i think i do.

I think it is low. I am in an even small group of unmarried leaning toward gay cross dressers, and that must be very small. The quoted figures of 1-3 % seem sort of right, but I suspect it is lower. Minority sport!

Platinum Member
    I've seen all sorts of estimates, none of which are particularly reliable because people will deny CDing, even on confidential surveys.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't think there is any way to know because how many men will admit to dressing? I sure there are many that will not admit to it out of shame and the fear of ridicule. My bet it is higher that the 3% and closer to 10%, but of course no man in his right mind will admit to it! ;-)

Banned Read only
    One thing to remember is that self-identification is needed for surveys. MANY folks in the LGBT spectrum do not want it recorded anywhere that they identify as LGBT. As remote as the possibility is, when employment, family situations, etc. can be impacted, people get very defensive. Any numbers that you see are going to be surrounded by a lot of fuzz...

DeeAnn

I'm thinking the # of closet dressers is much higher than you would think.. Would think at least 40% have tried it and maybe 25%+ on occasion for gratification. But I would bet that 15% privately try on lingerie or underdress occasionally. The % that actually acknowledge dressing and dress with SO or publicly is much lower.

42.6799287% do. I know 'cause I measured it with a stick.