Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how many of us are there?

Estimates I have heard/seen put it at about .5-1%, so if accurate that is 1 out of 100-200. Nancy

I have heard the same number Nancy, about 1 in 100 to 200 people are crossdressers.

I took a speech presentation class once and that was the number they used, they told that us when we were giving presentations to large audiences that there was 1 or 2 crossdressers in the audience and our job was to find them (not really) during the presentation.

The point they were trying make was to keep eye contact with as much or all of the audience as you could.
    Not really sure if there is any acciracy to this, but the number has been thrown around a lot.

All I know is that when I go shopping the SA's never really bat an eye any more, so my take is that we are either gaining acceptance or the actual number of us out there is larger than we think and it just becoming more common place.

Probably not going to land on a firm number is my take on this subject, but a close / valid estimate would be nice to help represent the group of us that are crossdressers.

I hope people have not moved on from this thread yet. I recommend for those who are really curious about the numbers a journey through Lynn Conway's exceptional pages. Start here: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conw...revalence.html. While she explores the very serious matter of under reporting of transsexualism by the medical/scientific community, you can easily extrapolate from her numbers that there must be many more of us than is estimated by the med/sci community.

Not your ordinary lady, Lynn is a computer logic pioneer with an amazing story of having to reinvent herself in the workplace after transitioning in the 60's. To have credibility in the computer engineering world as a woman, she had to write her books detailing her theoretical innovation as co-author to a male colleague.

Here's a sample of her work:

"Prof. Lynn Conway exposes long-standing error
    in psychiatrists’ estimate of the prevalence of transsexualism:

November 7, 2005

Psychiatrists have long claimed that MtF transsexualism is extremely rare, occurring in only one in every 30,000 males. We’ve seen that figure oft-cited in the media. However, Professor Lynn Conway of the University of Michigan challenges that figure:

“It’s way too small, perhaps by a factor of 100”, she says.

Counting surgeries performed over the years, Conway estimates there are now at least 40,000 postoperative trans women in the U.S. These women have transitioned out of a population of roughly 100,000,000 adult males*. Simple division reveals that at least one in every 2500 people born as males here has undergone sex reassignment surgery (SRS): i.e., ~ 40,000/100,000,000 = 1/2500.

However, something on the order of 5 times as many people inherently experience transsexualism than those who have already undergone sex reassignment – leading Conway to conclude the inherent condition occurs in at least one in every 500 children born as males. Note that this figure of 1 in 500 is a lower bound on the prevalence of transsexualism (intense gender dysphoria), and the actual value could be higher.

“Those are still small numbers, but transsexualism is certainly not ‘extremely rare’”, Conway says.

After revealing that psychiatrists have vastly underestimated the prevalence of transsexualism for many decades, Conway asks:

“Can’t psychiatrists count?” " Source: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conw...sexualism.html
    If there are that many TS, the number of CDs must be far greater.

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    One thing to remember is that self-identification is needed for surveys. MANY folks in the LGBT spectrum do not want it recorded anywhere that they identify as LGBT.

DeeAnn
    It's more than that I think, so many deny it to themselves.....
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

We have to be careful when estimating "by feel." We have a predisposition to over-count because that makes us feel more normal. It's comforting to say that 10% of males crossdress, but probably not accurate. We also have to be careful in our definitions -- does every guy who has ever pulled on a pair of his girlfriends panties count? Or only guys who repeatedly crossdress? How many times makes him a crossdresser? Do under-dressers count? Maybe only guys who make a concerted effort at a female presentation count? It all gets complex very fast.

All in all I'd guess there are probably more of us than there are Amateur Radio operators and fewer of us than Civil War reenactors. None of us are particularly common. (But we have the best outfits.)

Not enough

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I often wonder this question while standing in yankee stadium with 48,000 or so other people.....how many????

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDRESSER View Post
    It's more than that I think, so many deny it to themselves.....
    Absolutly. However, what I said assumes that there is understanding of what one's identity actually is. But the fact remains that there is a lot of distrust regarding surveys (government, public and corporate) that many LGBT folks don't want get anywhere close...

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Absolutly. However, what I said assumes that there is understanding of what one's identity actually is. But the fact remains that there is a lot of distrust regarding surveys (government, public and corporate) that many LGBT folks don't want get anywhere close...
    What's worse, many surveys simply erase us from existence. For example, in health surveys, I am listed as "MSM" - a "Man who has Sex with Men." This makes no sense, and helps no one. My boyfriend is either categorized as being female, or, even more screwed up, also as "MSM" for the purposes of donating blood - we'd both be listed as such in that case. What kind of logical contortions could allow an MtF and and FtM in a relationship together to both be viewed as "men who have sex with men?"

Thank you ladies for all the replies and input on the subject.

How many stars are there in the sky?

Next question please.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

We are legion, call us one !!!!!

I think we have all asked the same question and have had the same array of answers. So I'm glad we are all in agreement and we all know the exact number.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its a valid question but one you will never get an answer to.
    Its better than another panty thread LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    We have to be careful when estimating "by feel." We have a predisposition to over-count because that makes us feel more normal.
    ^this. And I see it every time this subject appears, whether here, or in other forums online. I stopped looking for this type of thing about 10 years ago, but up through the 90's the generally found result was somewhere around 2.5% when the study was done by an objective researcher. MTF TS were less than 0.5% which comes close to Paula's result to that's probably on target as well. Consider, though, what that means: In the U.S., 7.5 million mtf CD, and between 900,000 and 1.5 million mtf TS. Together we'd be the largest city in the country.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have always thought the number is a lot higher than the stats indicate. I would put it at 10-20% of males, we have ever put an any type of "female" clothing, not crossdressers per se. And, I think almost every guy in private, as fooled around with something like that, even if it was once for five minutes.
    Also I would put the number closer to 100% to anyone who has wondered what it would be like to be the opposite sex for a day or in a relationship.

6 exactly six in the world
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    How many stars are there in the sky?
    Thanks for making me feel like a star for a minute =) =) =)

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle_cder View Post
    6 exactly six in the world
    Well since I'm pretty sure that the 6 were already here, that either means I'm a poser or I've been magically cured!

Woohooo! Think I can get my money back for the forms? And the dresses, skirts and tops? And the makeup? I'm keeping the boots!

Well there is a lot of us. Someone had to post over 1,100,000 posts on this, our amazing site. And judging by the avatars most of us look good doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    Well since I'm pretty sure that the 6 were already here, that either means I'm a poser or I've been magically cured!
    There's something metaphysical about the idea of a CD poseur...

I took a survey. I started with my wife's cousin (MTF transgender), then her best friend (gay male, occasionally crossdresses), then her middle brother (straight), then her youngest brother (gay male, presents as metrosexual), then me, and that is three out of five who crossdress, so, 60%.

Or did I just marry into a magical, wonderful family?

I was just reading an article on Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/183383/am...y-lesbian.aspx) that talks about people over-estimating the number of LGBT folks (yes, they know that LGB is sexual orientation and T is gender identity, but they're looking at the "LGBT culture" numbers.) And they have the LGBT number pegged at 3.8% of the adult population. Even though there will certainly be crossdressers who don't self-identify as T, it seems likely that estimates of male crossdressing that are larger than the entire LGBT community may be optimistic.

Banned Read only
    That doesn't seem right. 3.8% with +/- 4% would mean that there could be no LGBT population or it could be as big as nearly 8% as a function of sampling error. Also, historically these kinds of surveys suffer from under reporting. As it says, you have to self-identify. If you don't, you won't be counted. This isn't the same as doing demographics based on ethnicity.

Anyway, I believe that 3.8% is low.

DeeAnn

The +/- 4% is the sampling error for the study showing that the general American public thinks the actual number of LGBT people is 23%. It's not associated with the 3.8% number which is rolled up from successive daily polls starting in June 2012. (The question is simply "Do you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender?" The accepted answers are Yes, No, Don't Know/Refused to answer.) Back when they first reported in 2012 it was reported at 3.4% with a sampling error under +/-1%. Now they're saying 3.8% so although the number is trending up, it's not fluctuating wildly. It's considered a pretty solid number from a pretty solid polling organization.