Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police, Small Town & Dressed...

Banned Read only

Police, Small Town & Dressed...

This past Saturday night, I attended the GNO up in Rochester, NY. From my home (~15 miles west of the stated Elmira) it is a 100 mile drive. To me it is an interesting group in terms of the people and sufficiently far from my home and co-workers.

I was about half of the way back on the return trip when I decided to stop for a coffee. There's a McDonald's just off the expressway in a small town called Dansville. Unfortunately by the time I made my decision, I missed the exit. As it was dark (~1:30am) I didn't want to risk it as the elevation drops pretty quickly and it's unlit. In daylight, no problem, but I didn't want to take the chance of running over something. So, I got off at the next exit which is at the southern edge of town. How hard could it be to find my way back? But, although I have stopped at that McDonald's many times in almost 23 years, I realized that I had never been actually IN the town of Dansville.

So, I wandered around a bit at the prescribed speed and eventually found the main street of the town. However, after 2 intersections with blinking yellow signals, I went through a 3rd intersection with a blinking red light light and didn't stop. I was looking for signs related to where I wanted to go and just missed it. About a block past the intersection I saw red, white and blue flashing lights in the mirror.

I was fully dressed: black knee length skater skirt, black and white print blouse, black tank, fushia footless tights, black clogs and silver bracelet below the neck and wig, full makeup and medium size dangly earrings above. All totalled to my way of thinking, fun but not over the top and definitely not provocative.

In the mirror I could see the top of the car door open. An unexpected sense of calmness came over me as I thought: be straightforward, don't volunteer, be consistent, don't challenge and never let them see you sweat.

The conversation:
    Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?
    DeeAnn: No, I don't.

O: You missed the blinking red light. you didn't stop.
    D: Oh.

O: Are you going to Rochester? (I was pointed roughly north at the time)
    D: No, I'm going to Corning.

O: Oh, you came from Rochester?
    D: Yes.

O: What were you doing in Rochester?
    D: I attended a social gathering.

O: Let me see your license.

Fumbled around in my purse for a bit until I remembered that I put my license, credit cards, etc. in one of the pockets. I gave the license to the officer and he went back to his car and got in. In a few minutes he came back.

O: You the owner of this car.
    D: Yes.

O: Why did you go to Rochester?
    D: I went to a social gathering.

He went back to his car, stayed a few minutes and returned.

O: Well Don (my real name), it's like this. I don't care if you crossdress or whatever. That's your own business. I'm not going to write you up for anything.

He gave me my license back.

O: Well, I don't know how you happened to land in Dansville. Shoot, nobody WANTS to come here.
    D: I was going to go to the McDonald's and missed the exit. How do I get back to the expressway?

O: I don't care. Do a U-turn right here, go down 2 blocks and make a right.
    D: OK, thank you.

I was a little skeptical about being told to make an illegal turn as I had no witnesses that he actually said that. On the other hand, I didn't know what other way to go and I felt it was in my best interest to leave as quickly as possible. It was also a bit troubling to me that while this interaction took place, a 2nd patrol car pulled up behind the officer's car and an unmarked car pulled up beside him. That struck me as odd unless the town is just SO Dull that I was providing their whole entertainment for the weekend. Curious.

As I drove away, I thought about what had just happened. I was still very calm and it almost felt like I could pass a polygraph. I think what was behind all this was a sense of resignation. Whatever was going to happen, was going to happen. It was doubtful that I could make the situation better, but I certainly could make it worse very easily.

I'm reminded of this quote by Rachel Maddow:
    "The single best thing about coming out of the closet is that nobody can insult you by telling you what you've just told them"

Our LGBT employee affinity group has an event every Fall and I'm on the planning committee with 3 others. In the past week I've told 2 of the members that I would like to volunteer to be the MC for event, but that I identify as transgender and want to do it as DeeAnn. The 4th member was not able to make the meeting, but I have a lunch scheduled with him in a couple of days. So far the reaction has been very positive and that it would be very appropriate as our entertainer for the evening will be Ian Harvie, a transgender comedian. So, perhaps my degree of calmness had to do with the process of coming out. This is the second time for this kind of thing as I came out to our full group as bisexual 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe that's the thing about coming out: you're never really done with the process.

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    this reminded me of a event me and my wife had 13 yrs ago,we were on our way home from a meeting in dallas and took a short cut we take all the time,well this night we seen a county deputy going toward the interstate,my wife said something about him told her he had no reason to pull us over,at that time he did a u turn and kicked the lights on. here i was fully dressed on a back country rd. when he came up to the car he seen two women,he asked for my license,i asked why he pulled us over,he claimed i bright lighted him,told him i didnt,well he looked at my license and seen a male and flashed the light at me and seen female,he then asked my wife for her license,we sat there 30 mins smoking cigerettes talking about what the deputy was saying to the home office,about you won't believe this i pulled a car over with two females and one had a mans license,after 30 mins he came back handed us our license and told us we were free to go...i have no qualms driving enfemme,even drove 18 wheeler dressed once,my wife asked me if i ever wanted to i said sure,we had fun with that,we passed this trucker twice,once with me driving,then with my wife driving,the third time we passed him we really confused him for now there was a man and woman in the truck instead of two women,we had a good laugh over that one....

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Its amazing how accepting people can be. It was very professional how he handled the situation. And dont be alarmed that there was a second squad that showed up, knowing a bit about law enforcement I promise it was not for their entertainment. In almost every late night traffic situation they will have back up because you never know what situation you will be in, especially in the dark.
    Erica

Platinum Member
    Driving late at night is the one reservation about traveling significant distances to attend events. Not just the prospect of being stopped, but a concern about being on the road with one too many under my belt and even more so, encountering other drivers in worse condition.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well Dee Ann, you dodged that bullet! The officer decided that he didn't want to do all of the report writing that he would have to do if he wrote a ticket, besides that he wanted to get you out his town. On the bright side, you educated him in some small sense, he probably had never seen a crossdresser before, but at least had read about or been trained to know that there was such a thing out there!!

I'm happy that the situation ended well for you, that you lived through it and can dress again!

Hugs, Bria

I only got pulled over once before I got my new ID. The officer gave me a very long look, decided I wasn't a criminal, told me how to get back on the hiway, and said 'Good evening ma'am'. I was a bit nervous, but he was just politely doing his job.

I've never been pulled over dressed but I have had a few close calls dressed, mostly on the highways. I used work on Long Island and live in New England, goes with my territory--crazy...I know. I would drive back and forth for the weekends. There are three times that could have gone a whole lot worse. Once, in CT on the off ramp from 95 to 84 in a wind storm at about 70 MPH I drove over a metal light pole that had fallen across the road on the tightest point of the ramp. I just didn't see it at 3:30AM. Thankfully, I kept control and there was no damage. The second was crossing the Throgs Neck, I had changed a flat in Islip but silly me didn't check the lugs well enough after letting the car off the jack. Half way up the incline of the bridge the car started to shake but with nowhere to stop, I had to continue. I pulled off to the right after the toll and only had 2 of 5 lug nuts left and they were only on by a couple of threads. I hiked out the jack, jacked up my skirt and the car, tightened the lugs down tight, stole 2 lugs from the other wheels to make it as safe as I could and continued on my way. The third, on the interchange from 290 to 90 in MA on a cold rainy night, I slid on ice for about 100'. Staring at the Jersey Barrier I though I was going to hit it hard. Then the wheels caught and a hard right turn ensued. I was in the loose material on the shoulder, missing the wall by inches. All of the salt must have collected on that shoulder and kept the rain from freezing. *whew* THAT was close.

Anyway, like KimDL said, driving late at night gives me reservations too. I'm not as nervous about the police as I am about getting in an accident and then other trouble ensuing from those who come or worse, getting hurt. I still do take a drive dressed every now and then but I rarely take driving road trips any more.

DeeAnn, it is great to hear that another police encounter didn't turn into a police run-in.

Thanks for sharing,

-E
    Last edited by Erika Lyne; 05-19-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E

In a small town it's not unusual to have multiple cars show up just to back each other up. The unmarked car was probably a supervisor. I live in a town of 9,000 people and see that kind of response all the time -- unlike cities, they have the time and resources to cover each other and take advantage of that.

I read an interesting book a while ago that suggested that the fears most people feel are based on the thought "I can't handle this." E.g. fear of people discovering we crossdress is grounded in the fear we can't handle the results of the discovery. So, yeah, the coming out process probably helped you. You already knew you can handle any fallout, at worst it would be inconvenient.

Aspiring Member
    I was on the interstate recently when a patrol car pulled up beside me. I had seen him in the median but since I was not speeding, I didn't really pay too much attention. In a flash, he pulled up beside me for what seemed like a long time and then backed off and picked up the car behind us. Yes, I was dressed with wig on. This also happened to me once before a couple years ago. I doubt that they can tell that I am a CD just by passing them at 70 mph but it has not happened to me when not dressed. Anybody else?

Banned Read only
    The cop was just checking out the cute chick in the car not speeding, Sheri . Take it for what it is worth. If they are not pulling you over and placing on the handcuffs..... it's all good.

This is one reason I try to keep fresh donuts in my car when I go out en femme.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    Oh, Bad Kate, Very Bad!?!?!?!?

In any small town after dark, there is almost certainly a cop sitting in the dark watching the traffic light, if they have one. In the area where I live, they scrutinize every passing car for a reason to stop it, and sometimes they just make up something like "you were weaving". Or "we are looking for a vehicle like yours". They call it fishing. They are obsessed with their computer checks. The theory is that the more LEIN checks you run, the closer you are to an arrest. I know because my ex wife was a LEIN [Law Enforcement Information Network] operator for the state police.

Banned Read only
    MA:

Interesting bit of information about the Network. I hadn't heard of that. The theory sounds very similar to what I used to tell the kids when I coached soccer for 8-10 year olds: "The more you keep the ball in their half of the field, the better your chances are of scoring.".

SSDD...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    In a small town it's not unusual to have multiple cars show up just to back each other up. The unmarked car was probably a supervisor. I live in a town of 9,000 people and see that kind of response all the time -- unlike cities, they have the time and resources to cover each other and take advantage of that.
    Yes, that was my guess also. I was being a bit facetious when I said "entertainment" as no one else got out of their car other than the officer who talked to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    I read an interesting book a while ago that suggested that the fears most people feel are based on the thought "I can't handle this." E.g. fear of people discovering we crossdress is grounded in the fear we can't handle the results of the discovery. So, yeah, the coming out process probably helped you. You already knew you can handle any fallout, at worst it would be inconvenient.
    Said another way, I'm investing much less energy these days in keeping the Force Field intact. In part, I think it is a byproduct of the aging process.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 05-20-2015 at 05:53 AM.

A very positive encounter and some interesting comments. While in all professions, there are those who do it right and that few that do not. Cops need a reason to stop you. The bad brake light, the tag light out, or the failure to maintain lane since you may be more concerned at the cop car in your mirror than the road ahead. Unless I'm mistaken, clothing type is not illegal. Be polite, be honest, if they write the ticket, fight it in court if its wrong. I wont be pushed back to the past, I choose to go out as I want. Not drinking, no drugs, be who you are.... you'd be surprised... just my opinion

Most cops late at night have lots of time on their hands especially the late shift. You can bet if you are speeding by just a minimum amount they will pull you over. Anything that looks suspicious or just out of ordinary will get you pulled over. I can honestly say this as I was in law enforcement for two and half years of my life. Paid my way thru college after losing my football scholarship by working as an officer. Taking classes in the day time, I always had the late shift and know about trying to stay awake between adrennaline times when exciting things that almost never happen in small towns, pulled over anything out of ordinary just to stay awake.

That's funny. One of my treasured memories is from when I was 16 (late 1960's) and was out at 3 AM on my motorcycle. A cop pulled me over and I figured I was about to get hassled by The Man. It turned out all he wanted to do was chat. We talked about bikes, about local events and so on. We were by the side of the road for about 45 minutes. Then he wished me a good night and drove on. It made cops seem very human to me.

There is a possibility that nobody has suggested yet. It's not likely, I admit, but it's still possible, and could have been a factor in the officer's decision not to give you a ticket. You didn't see his underwear, did you? So you don't know that they weren't a cute little pair of panties.

Banned Read only
    Funny, but no, I didn't see his. And he certainly didn't see mine!

I've thought about it and my best guess is that he may have figured that a ticket would place me in a strange place very late at night. I always wear my wedding ring, as I can't take it off (it's actually from my 1st marriage). Perhaps he thought that he was doing me a favor, seeing that I was dressed and all and might have to explain to my wife. In reality, my wife knows I dress and has been out with me dressed.

One thing that was also strange: he never asked me for my insurance card. Over the years when I have been stopped for a traffic violation, officers have almost always asked for the card.

And for the record, I didn't have any alcohol. The drive is too far and I'm taking arthritis medication that should not be combined with alcohol. Usually I have 1 non-alcohol beer and that's it.

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    in texas they no longer ask you for the card,for your insurance comes up when they call your plate in..now the registration is going to be tied to your sticker..along time ago i was pulled over and was asked for insurance,drivers license,and grn card,asked why do i need a immagration card,he looked at me kinda funny. i told him the rules of immagration is they have to send me to where i was born,told him i had no family in memphis,he turned red and let me go.

Banned Read only
    Interesting. I didn't know that.

In a similar vein, a while back, there were still a few states that didn't have reciprocity. However, I'm pretty sure that all of them do now. Computerization is a wonderful thing (sort of...).

DeeAnn

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U handled the situation incredibly well, DeeAnn. I doubt I could have done as well.

However, there's no way I'd have made an illegal U turn in front of him. A split U is legal nearly everywhere and I think I would have done that.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl reeves View Post
    in texas they no longer ask you for the card,for your insurance comes up when they call your plate in...
    Maryland law still requires them to ask for it, but the past few times I have had encounters, they did not. No matter I keep my registration and insurance cards folded together in the same pocket of my wallet as the driver's license. So when I pull out the registration, I get the insurance card, too.

I haven't been pulled over while "dressed" in several years - the last time was in 2006, for a tail light out, and I was on my way to play Cabaret, so used that as an excuse for my presentation. Good thing, too, because I was dressed as an "over the top" drag queen. He could have easily assumed I was a "working girl". It was a state trooper, but he warned me that if the Howard County Police pulled me over, they might not be so wiling to let me go.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

DeeAnn, you did well on that. One time my wife and I was coming home late in Houston. I was in a suit on a business function. I was sitting at a light and a drunk hit me like no braking and at about 50 mph. Blasted us right through the intersection. I got out and go back to see if he was okay. He was slumped over the wheel. He looked at me and said, did I hit you? Well yes you did. He pulled out and headed down the road. A HPD officer came up behind me and asked what happened. I told him, he said be right back. Get your car up on that parking lot. I did that and about ten minutes later he came back with that guy in his car. He took the report and that guy paid directly for the repair. He was pretty wealthy. The Officer did not give him a DWI ticket. Just a strange event, I thought.
    Part Time Girl

About 2 months ago, I was already stopped (and taking a much needed nap) when a State Trooper (in Oregon) tapped on my window. He had received reports that I was weaving (true, hence the nap); I was suffering from terminal exhaustion from taking on too much without taking into account that the last time I had done a road trip this long was over 30 years before and my capabilities had changed, not for the better. I was dressed and made-up, had a 24 hr. stubble. and was more than a bit the worse for wear.
    The trooper was polite and just wanted to make sure I was safe to drive; I also knew that he was checking if I had been drinking, as I would do had our positions had been reversed. Satisfied, he left. I was very impressed with the business-like manner in which he did his job. Police training has improved remarkably in the last few years, at least on the Left Coast. I've had 2 further contacts with local police, both which have been impressive; not the case in prior years.
    Things are looking up.
    Last edited by donnalee; 05-21-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)