Thread: Why can an article of clothing trigger such reactions

Why can an article of clothing trigger such reactions

I’ve written in the past about CD’ing being more than just dressing;

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...hes&highlight=

About a week ago I bought a new top online to go with a skirt I already had. Buying online is always a bit of a gamble as what looks good in the picture can turn out to be a bit of a disappointment. Colour, sleeve length, so many things to go wrong.

In this case however all was good. What I can remember, what stands out in memory is the feeling of putting it on. It just felt right and I don’t mean from a purely fit angle. As I put it on it just felt so very comforting. The feel of the soft fabric, it was more like an embrace that a try-on.

Drab clothing just never feels like this. I know it sounds sort of contrary to my other post but in this case the clothes maketh the woman. I was instantly shifted along the gender scale, a trigger to release the femme me. I didn’t need to look in the mirror to know this was right.

OK I know this sounds a bit too poetic but I like others even once we’ve accepted ourselves we will still ask what it is draws us back every time. I think to some extent it’s these little almost intimate private feel good moments that help reaffirm our desire to dress.

And if you’re interested, this is the item that produced all this angst and emotion.
    http://www.very.co.uk/savoir-bubble-...1458050620.prd
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

It's adorable. Wish I could find one nearby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've long ago decided that I can never answer a question that starts with "why." But I do agree that the effect is there. And since it's there, it doesn't matter why.

I love those kinds of tops. Lacy, tight fitting. I want to dress like that!

I suspect that most (all?) of us have had similar experiences. We, too, would be hard pressed to explain "why". I am sure that there are scientific reasons as to what causes our brains to react this way but, the "good news" is that we do not have to explain, just enjoy!
    Hugs, Carole

Aspiring Member
    So for one guy it may be stilletos, and another may fantasize over breastforms, another may feel that way about a bridal gown. Yes, it is all in the brain.

How does this happen????
    Well there are theories. My favorite is one which identifies crossdressing as a form of synesthesia. During the first years of your life your brain is producing neural connections at an explosive rate (something like 1.8 million connections per second). By the time you are 3 years old you have about 5X the number of connections than an adult brain. But synaptogenesis is followed by neural pruning, where through the learning process, some connections are reinforced while others are cut. However if some connections are not cut, there may be some crossing of sensory pathways. A person may see colors associated with numbers, and this is called synesthesia. How is this related to crossdressing? Well, if our brains are hardwired with certain crossed neural pathways, then we may expect an automatic and involuntary sensory response that others cannot experience. Perhaps one sensory pathway (wearing clothing of the opposite gender) produces an automatic and involuntary response in a second sensory pathway (contact/identity with a female). So some males could wear women's clothing and not feel anything special, while others have their brains hardwired to release a host of neurotransmitters which produce sensations of well-being, pleasure, sexual gratification and bonding. It just how your brain is hardwired.

I bought a dress about a year ago of a certain fabric, which brought back a memory of a girl I had danced with about 40 years ago. The feel of it triggered the memory and the feel of wearing it made me happy. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Painted toes n panties Cassandra*'s Avatar
    Very cute. I know the feeling I've recently ordered a dress from Cato and was in such excitement I couldn't Waite. When I got the email yesterday it was in at the store my day just dragged in anticipation. I couldn't get out of work fast enough. When I got home with the dress it was seconds after the door opened I was in it feeling a sense of comfort. Amazing what makes us girls tick.

Helen, that is a nice dress, very flattering!

Aspiring Member
    For most of my life the clothes I wore were rough and uncomfortable. I guess this is how men were supposed to dress... itchy, rough, ill fitting and ugly. Then one day (before I started CDing) I saw some shirts made of silk and was going to buy one. I was shopping with my wife and she commented how that was a shirt a sissy would wear.
    But oh, it felt so good! I think that at that moment I truly realized how much I had missed being male. Now, male or female clothes - it doesn't matter - I get the softest, prettiest and most comfortable clothes I can. Luckily, many of the fabrics even men's clothing are made of these days are much nicer. But they still can't match the feel of a soft, beautiful dress or baby doll.

If femme clothing was made of sackcloth the vast majority of us would still wear it. At the most basic level we would still covert that which society seeks to deny us. In truth I'm just glad that I'm able to experience these emotions and that they add to the whole of my journey. I wasn't born in the wrong body, I will never "trans", no surgery or hormones for me. What fascinates me is the huge diversity of emotions I've experienced. I hope that by writing about all our experiences and journeys we help others, those who are struggling as I (we) all have to find self acceptance in the confusion of our feelings.

I savoir these moments, they are rays of sunshine that help illuminate and reinforce my own understanding of who I am.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 05-20-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I have a very feminine body , and easily pass as female in public

I still walk on air when trying on something nice.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I reacted to clothing because finally I got to wear my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    So for one guy it may be stilletos, and another may fantasize over breastforms, another may feel that way about a bridal gown. Yes, it is all in the brain.

How does this happen????
    Well there are theories. My favorite is one which identifies crossdressing as a form of synesthesia. During the first years of your life your brain is producing neural connections at an explosive rate (something like 1.8 million connections per second). By the time you are 3 years old you have about 5X the number of connections than an adult brain. But synaptogenesis is followed by neural pruning, where through the learning process, some connections are reinforced while others are cut. However if some connections are not cut, there may be some crossing of sensory pathways. A person may see colors associated with numbers, and this is called synesthesia. How is this related to crossdressing? Well, if our brains are hardwired with certain crossed neural pathways, then we may expect an automatic and involuntary sensory response that others cannot experience. Perhaps one sensory pathway (wearing clothing of the opposite gender) produces an automatic and involuntary response in a second sensory pathway (contact/identity with a female). So some males could wear women's clothing and not feel anything special, while others have their brains hardwired to release a host of neurotransmitters which produce sensations of well-being, pleasure, sexual gratification and bonding. It just how your brain is hardwired.

Confucius, that can't be true in my case because my brain isn't hardwired, it's either wi-fi or bluetooth, or maybe both.
    I spend a lot of time in the closet, because that's where my clothes are.