Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get over the fear

Alice my heart goes out to you. I've been shopping about 8 times now and only had a minor issue. Some lady looked like a deer in the headlights when I was carrying dresses into the change room (unisex btw). I asked her "were the dresses that hideous? I thought they were nice". She stated at me for a second, said she was sorry and I laughed. Never let them get under your skin. But 99.99% of the time everything is fine.
    My approach is own it. I'm gonna try and get into those sephora classes and if anyone asks ill say straight up I'm a crossdresser, lets do this. Each minute I'm not living as I choose to express myself is time wasted. Some days I want shorts, beer and football. Today, right now as I type, I'm wearing a LBD with some Sam moon accessories and a great pair of sandals. Get your chin up girl, the world isn't against you. We, the forum gurls, are always with you in spirit.

Silver Member
    Alice - Don't feel bad about your fears. Shop on-line.

Banned Read only
    fear whats fear? what is there to fear? i asked myself this for yrs. then my wife went pyromaniac and burnt down the closet i was hiding in,and standing their without a comfort zone,i didnt have much left to fear. since that day if i want something i can careless what others think..the old saying goes the only thing to fear is fear itself,and i dont spook easy.

Most of us have those fears during our journey, Alice. Don't be hard on yourself for that. I am a lot more comfortable with buying cosmetics nowadays. I still remember the first time I waded into a CVS and purchased a tube of lipstick. It took me 30 minutes to get up te courage to go to the register with that and check out. Nowadays, I stroll into Ulta or Sephora like I own the place and take my time shopping. The SA's are great, though they likely know.

flatlander-48,

worried that I would be exposed and embarresed and ridiculed. And angry that I couldn't over come the fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Spirit View Post
    I think the problem is that you have preconceived notions about what people are like...If anything, they have been more kind and generous with him than they are with me. Go in the store and try it.
    Thank you Jules. My experience shows me that people are cruel to TG folks. I think there may be varying degrees of acceptance depending on where you live,

But maybe my experiences from decades ago are dated everywhere. Or as you said. try it, I won't die.

That is probably where I have to get to in my mind. Thanks for the words of advice.

Alice
    Last edited by Lorileah; 05-25-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts. try and merge posts with edit or use multiquote

You are so right. I remember it well and it is always there to some extent. I know cause it happens whenever I buy at J.C.Pennys-Walgreens-_Lane Bryant-Nordstrom-Fred Meyer-Soma-VS. Well I guess you see what I am saying-hehe

As many have said most of us have had that fear. I read a sign once that said "Worry is a waste of imagination". So now I just say that to myself a few times when I am feeling anxious and go for it. Yes, sometimes easier said than done.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice K View Post
    worried that I would be exposed and embarresed and ridiculed. And angry that I couldn't over come the fear.
    And what would be the consequences of being exposed, embarrased and ridiculed?

Also, the anger is secondary. That is an internal reaction. If you get a grip on the exposed, embarrased and ridiculed part, the anger goes away.

I think there's 2 ways to go about this:

Figure out exactly what the heart of the matter is. This requires some very specific thinking, but you can't begin to fix a problem until you know what it is. As you said "exposed" above for example, might that relate to a specific person? or your family at large? or work? or? So, if it comes down to a specific person, then is the issue their negative reaction, can they do something against you, etc.?

The analogy is that when you go off to fight a battle, you don't just shoot at any and everything indiscriminately. You have to know who you're fighting and why.

The other approach is "Fake It 'til You Make It". Basically you summon ALL of your Wherewithall and go off and Do It even though your pulse is racing, your palms are wet and you can feel sweat running down the middle of your back. Now it might mean just charging into the store first time or lurking outside once or twice, then going in and walking around once or twice, and then finally actually talking to someone. It amounts to getting into the activity before the flight reaction becomes strong enough to force you to leave.

DeeAnn

Most sales people are more than happy to help - i usually just ask for help with foundation colors and the sales people are very helpful

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yea I think we all been there at one point ( as said)....it does get easier, then..it dosent even matter, and you wont care at all....at first it seems like a big hurdle, but once you get past it, you will see it was all in your head.

To help, I used to pretend I was a makeup artist when I was buying makeup ....now I dont pretend. xoxo

No fear.... If you go to a cosmetic counter have no fear. When I was a man in a cosmetic counter on a few stores that I went into to look for stuff for my wife at the time. They had no trouble making me up and showing me how it looked. LOL, then I wasn't even trying to use makeup.
    Now I do and they still will gleefully show you what you need to buy. Never had any problem.
    Same with nail places or hair.
    Have no fear.
    Part Time Girl

Never know how the outcome will be until you try. I want no regrets when I die. If I had only.....

I went into one of my local drugstores this morning and browsed through the makeup section, and bought a few items. No worries, no fear. The SA didn't say anything, just rung me up and asked if I had one of their discount cards. Then I was on my way. If your fears are based on "decades ago" times have changed.

I can totally relate. I'm fearful as well. I live in a very conservative area in the heart of the Bible Belt(Nashville).
    Last edited by chris63; 05-25-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice K View Post
    To describe the fear. I know it is simple enough. Walk in buy moisturizer or facial soap. The free bag - no problem.

Me: "Thank you. My wife will love this. Oh and the foundation."

Me- "I need to match the area around my eyes because the mottled look around my face is what I am trying to balance out.
    Sales clerk - "but why would a gentleman need foundation?
    Three other sales clerks standing by: " snicker, snicker, ha, ha.
    Hope that was descriptive of the fear. Maybe as mentioned earlier the issue is self-acceptance.
    i understand it perfectly, because I was in the same place four years ago. I made contingency plan upon contingency plan. If the salesperson said this, then I would have this justification. It was so entangling that it paralyzed me.

Slowly, I figured it out. The salesperson wants to sell their products. Unless they are incredibly stupid they will not do anything to drive a customer away. They would never question why a man would need foundation, they would more likely think "hey, this person is probably transgender, I hear that they are big spenders." You are unusual, and will be a memorable high point in the salesperson's day. Will you be talked about? Probably, but what is the harm? We all talk about people's various characteristics out of their earshot. It is what people do. No other salesperson is going to stand by snickering as they will incur the wrath of the salesperson whose sale was lost. More likely, they will gather around and help make the sale.

It is correct that the issue is self-acceptance. I'll never be a gorgeous, shapely genetic woman. That goal is unattainable, even to many genetic women! What I am is a person who wishes to express herself in a manner that society considers feminine. That counter exists to serve people like me and once I accept that using it is perfectly natural. I belong there as much (probably more!) as any genetic woman.

The last time I was at a cosmetic counter I did pretty much what you wanted to do. I bought some moisturizer and there was a gift with purchase deal. I was helped by a young man, very well groomed and dressed in black T-shirt and pants, to match the black uniforms of the female salespeople. He initially could not find the moisturizer in their kiosk drawers, so he went to the storeroom. He returned without the product and then remembered another place that it might be. He went there and found two tubes!

When he came back I realized that the moisturizer wasn't quite expensive enough to trigger the gift with purchase deal (clever, those marketers!) so I had to find another item. I went through he lip colors, sampling several to find one that I liked. "I'll get this one" I said, handing the sampler to him. He looked through the drawer and it was out of stock. I gave him my second choice and they had that one!

Then it was on to the gift with purchase. There were several options to choose from so there was more interaction while I selected the items I wanted.

When we were done he took my money, said "Thank you" and we both parted happy.

Oh, I'm 6'2", fiftyish, and shop en femme. Do I get looks? Of course I do. All women get looks. Do I get undue attention? Not very often. I used to be scared to death to interact with anyone, but with experience and practice I now do so all the time. the biggest giveaway that we are TG is not so much our looks, but our demeanor. If you behave like a confident person who belongs in her situation society will most likely accept you as such.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana44 View Post
    Have no fear.
    D:

That isn't quite right. As humans, we ALWAYS have fear. The question is what you do with it and how you manage it. Fear is what keeps us from doing stupid things. You know, those "Hold my beer..." moments. If we didn't have fear, the population would be a lot smaller than it is now.

Many folks tend to think that race car drivers or test pilots or astronauts have no fear. That is patently not true. Clearly they have a higher threshhold than most people, but they have learned to deal with it and how to prepare in such a way as to minimize the fear that they have.

DeeAnn

Silver Member
    I got through my first couple of times with the help of a little mental preparation. You know a sales person will approach you and offer to help. So, in a dress shop, start with "Do you have this dress in size (16, let's say)?" Or in a makeup shop, "Could you show me what color lipstick would work for me? ". Relevant icebreakers. A comfortable conversation will ensue. Just go with it. You will find the sales staff very supportive everywhere you go. The more you go shopping, the easier it gets, and the more your confidence grows. Better luck next time you try!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    the biggest giveaway that we are TG is not so much our looks, but our demeanor. If you behave like a confident person who belongs in her situation society will most likely accept you as such.
    Wise words thanks self acceptance and confidence are Moe on the agenda before the next give-away. Thank you Eryn,

Alice