Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone keep their original birth certificate?

Did anyone keep their original birth certificate?

I took a quick peek at the Ontario name change forms and they want you to include your original birth certificate.

One of my points of my transition was that I had to acknowledge that I have a past and not be ashamed of it, so I kind of think I should keep the original and get a copy to send in.
    Did anyone else feel the same way and keep their original?

Personal choice is it not? But the government may insist on the original which may leave you with a copy.

I am just looking into this in Ontario as well. But I have the added complication of being born in Quebec....Ugh. Anywho, I think Laura is correct.....Here is the quote on the bottom of the "Service Ontario" site:

"NOTE: All additional documents that are required must be originals and valid if applicable."
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Don't the federal and provincial government agencies that one deals with always return your originals once whatever application you have made has been processed? That's certainly the case with passport applications...

Quote Originally Posted by Eringirl View Post
    "NOTE: All additional documents that are required must be originals and valid if applicable."
    I was thinking of "misplacing" the original and getting a new one which I would send in instead.

I was born in apartheid-era South Africa, which adds a bunch of complications. I'm definitely keeping a copy, though... but only to show people the evils of apartheid. My birth certificate has a line item for "Race".

(I did not need to send the original to the Ontario government; if you were born outside Canada, a copy is acceptable.)

I think you may be misinterpreting the requirements. Original, does not mean the one you got when you were born (most of us lost those a long time ago) but one that is certified as "original" and not a photocopy you made. If they want something with an official seal (raised or inked) you give it to them and they will give it back. When you get a name change you can get several "Original" copies from the court. Some places require you give that, others use their copy machine after certifying and still others will accept your photo or scanned copy.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

They don't give you the old one back in Ontario. Ontario also says you must replace all your ID, and car registration as soon as you are able. You cannot have conflicting ID in Ontario.
    I suggest, if you want to keep a birth cert. as a souvenir, never, ever try to use it for anything.
    Don't forget to tell your insurance co. Immediately when you've changed ID.

Noooo I don't wanna lose my red and white ohip caaaaaaaarrrrdddddddd.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Application sitting here on my desk filled out and ready to send. I know I'm in for hurt on the birth cert side being from NS which hopefully will get sorted out soon.
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Are you doing the non publication request as well?

It's policy in Quebec as well to send it to État Civil for the name change. I still have my old baptism/name certificate, however.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

whowhatwhen,

I also have the old red-and-white OHIP card. It's falling apart; even the scotch tape holding it together is starting to disintegrate. I'll be really sad to see it go.

I'm gonna have to get around to this sooner than I thought lol.
    This morning I had a doctor appointment and it was kinda funny that she looked puzzled that there were no men in the waiting room.

She seemed quite surprised when I responded to my name being called so I guess that means it's now officially past the point where I can pass as male.
    I still have a bit of confidence issues though, I know lots of transwomen have the same issue but it's something I have to get over somehow.

so, if they don't return your original, do they issue a new one? Corrected gender?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    Noooo I don't wanna lose my red and white ohip caaaaaaaarrrrdddddddd.
    I know what you mean - it matches the Red Stripe Jamaican beer label so well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    so, if they don't return your original, do they issue a new one? Corrected gender?
    Actually, I'm not sure.
    I assume they'd keep it and you'd have to get a new one with your new name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    You get a brand new one! Correct name, and gender.

Did you do your name and gender marker change at the same time?
    I'm still struggling to understand how all this works.

e:
    According to the Ontario gender marker change site:
    a letter signed by a practicing physician or psychologist (including a psychological associate) authorized to practise in Canada that includes the statements necessary to support your request (see application cover sheet for instructions). In some cases, alternatives to the required letter may be acceptable
    I see a psychotherapist for my gender issues, does this mean that she isn't allowed to vouch for me on my gender marker change?
    Last edited by whowhatwhen; 05-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Do you have a Dr. Working with you on your transition? That would be your best bet. Is your therapist lisenced, or a registered social worker? That should work too. If whomever is writing your letter is unsure, I will gladly send you mine, cause they want quite specific wording. Just p.m. me. You also need to write a letter yourself, explaining in your own words your request. It also requires an affirmation that you are not doing this for any fraudulent purpose.

Like an endocrinologist?
    I could ask him if he'd do it but I don't see him again till the end of July IIRC.

I just looked at my therapist's card and it says psychotherapist but I'll ask her about it when I see her tomorrow morning.
    I'm a bit scared/nervous going into this so any and all help is appreciated :3

i got a letter from what would be considered my endo and it was fine for my licence and health card, it was not a long letter but it was east for them to take it, i plan on using the same one for my birth certificate

i found the letter i had to write to be harder to get cause i had no idea how to write it lol

Endo would be your best bet, but your therapist sounds fine. Good luck. Your DL, Health card, and SIN are easy. Birth cert. folks are sticklers for detail. They sent back my app. because my Dr. forgot his lic. #, which they could have just looked up on the internet.

To whom it may concern,
    I, Paula Maria Pykala, born Paul Martin Pykala, health card # ******* and residing at:
    Request a change of sex designation on my Ontario Health Card.
    I have been living, and working full time as a woman since Feb. 2012, and been under Dr. Cameron Purdon’s care, for medically approved sex change, since May 2013. I have been on male to female hormones since May 12, 2013.
    This is my true identity, and I will live as a woman for the rest of my life.
    This application is being made in good faith to accurately represent my new sex, and not for any fraudulent purpose.
    I have included an original letter from Dr. Purdon to this effect.
    If you have any questions, please call at 289 ****, or email: paula*****
    Thank you,

Paula Maria Pykala

This letter worked for everything, just amend the health card, and add whichever. Each application require AN ORIGINAL letter, so get five from your Dr./therapist.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 05-28-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks for all the help/info :3
    But still... Eeeeeeek!
    It's just so scary and exciting at the same time, I still cannot believe I have the forms to change my name right beside me!

It's surreal!

e:
    Maybe I'm missing it but I haven't been able to find where it says they need you to surrender your original birth certificate.
    Maybe I don't have to actually do anything?

I'll have to call Service Ontario and ask.
    Last edited by whowhatwhen; 05-28-2015 at 08:55 PM.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    In the forms I'm using its at the end where you checkbox to ensure you got everything straight before sending.
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.