Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long will the current Transgender Fad last ?????

I remember reading decades ago that CDs were thought to occur at about the rate of between one in a thousand to one in ten thousand. Now if that were the case, then I could see transgenderism falling from the limelight at some point. But honestly, it seem this occurs at about one in several hundred.

Regardless of the numbers, there are a lot more CDs TGs and TSs out there than the public imagined. And given the openness of gender exploration today, a lot more people are experimenting and finding out they do not fit into the bi-polar gender scheme.

As gay rights and awareness increase, so does gender variation awareness increase.

To answer the question- it is new, and it will cause controversy for years to come. The "fad" of course is a media fad. The sensationalism will last a few more years, then the reporting of TG rights and struggles will fade in this country as we settle down. Then it gets to be addressed in other cultures- middle east, etc.

Ultimately, it will be like a facet of global culture- such as how asian or middle-eastern cultures meld with western. But instead of being geographically different, it is a personality culture that was basically in a hidden dimension throughout all geographically defined cultures.

It is integrating faster than I thought it would, and I am personally really happy to be witnessing this change in society. there will be ups and downs for sure- but as a kid growing up in the 70's, i would not have thought it possible to change so quickly.

Global communication and socialization is the advocate here: people talking like right here and now- communicating to people all over.

The media started it, but it has a chokepoint of the editors/owners/advertisers. Social media does not have that, and the commercial media will be strongly influenced by this.

It is pretty neat to watch it happen.

I don't even see it as a fad. I see people still making fun of Bruce Jenner or any other crossdresser. I certainly don't feel any more comfortable when I'm out in public. I don't see that anything has changed in any way.

Gwendolyn

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I have to agree with so many of the posts here. I guess the things that got me wondering was that for so many people I know personally who are TG/CD and who have,are,and will deal with all of the issues involved with BEING CD/TG. And now there are a whole slew of people who are jumping on the TG/CD bandwagon for acting roles, 'reality' tv shows, tableau art projects, etc, then they go back to their regular lives. So I think at times it almost feels like people are doing 'black face'. Maybe I'm over thinking things.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    ...then they go back to their regular lives.
    The irony is so thick I can barely see through it.

Is this not the exact same point I've been making about part-timers for a couple of years now?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Platinum Member
    Let's distinguish between an actor portraying a character and the black faced minstrels presenting invariably demeaning representations of black people. And then let's distinguish between the frequency of theatrical portrayals of transgendered characters and real life. I honestly cannot accept the idea that real people, living with the very real risks and consequences, would be so easily influenced.

In my own life, if anything, every representation, real or fictional, elicited fear in me. Fear that I was like them, and fear that other people would notice. And my response was not to jump on the TG bandwagon, but to reinforce the masculine facade to the best of my ability. Do some part timers just play at this...sure...just as fetish dressers go back to their daytime identities. And others are teetering on a balance point. I doubt that fashion or fad have much influence on our actions.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Badtranny , We are talking about two different things, There are many CD/TG who do not have the option to express their gender full time, either because of relationships,family,work situations,mentaly,emotionally,financialy prepared etc. The reasons are many, and these people men and women, need to take things at their own pace.

The people whom I'm referring to are the opportunists who see that being "CD/TG" is not the "in" thing, the "flavor of the month", the ones who are jumping on the band wagon for the purpose of cashing in, with no real gender issues.

Do you know there are two television shows in the line up about transgender family's (which may or may not be real) AND the 3 other networks are scrambling to create shows of their own. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

If you want to make TG acting and blackface comparisons few of the current TG portrayals on TV will fill the bill. They are all quite respectful of both TG people and of women.

Closer to the mark was Flip Wilson's Geraldine, Milton Berle's female characters, Eddie Murphy's Rasputia, and Shawn and Marlon Wayans characters in the movie White Chicks All of these characters were primarily designed to mock women.

The last is particularly bad because the movie had black actors in whiteface portraying white women, thereby offending both races and both genders simultaneously!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I had noticed this as well but wondered if It was more because I have an interest. I have seen a few news articles dealing with Transgender issues and also there seem to be a few TV programmes coming through.

Even if this is just a media fad I think it will leave a cultural footprint behind when the media move on to their next big thing.