Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Accomodation Granted

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Congrats Isha! Good work!

Wonderful news! I felt happy for you. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Hi Isha - it's certainly true that Canada continues to distinguish herself with integrity, fairness and common sense, and deserves respect for all of that. But in all societies there are those who enable others to achieve their own best selves and be more than they thought they could ever be. And this, I think it's clear, is your own personal achievement and contribution. If you were less of a solid troop, if you were not already known to the chain of command as steady, dependable, and precisely the kind of officer they need and respect, it would have been just that much easier for Command to blow the issue off. Had the person making these extraordinary requests been "squirrelly" instead of top-rate, the
    outcome could easily entirely different. So, in my book, this wonderful breakthrough is overwhelmingly a response to you, and your character; kudos to your nation, of course, but most of all one massive, standing-ovation from all of us (and all like us) to you - our dear Isha!

Glad to hear your good news

So happy for you, Isha! And you have made a real contribution to our human rights.

Please consider this as a virtual 21-gun salute!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Good for you Isha, great news.

Congratulations, Isha! I know how big of a deal this is, and I'm so happy for you. That is awesome! Well done!!!

Hi Isha,

What a simply remarkable story. We have certainly had other stories (both here and in the TS Forum) about transitioning in the workplace, but to have "acceptance" with both male and female presentations is altogether special -- particularly considering the CAF. I can't help thinking that a good part of this is your wonderful ability to deal with interpersonal issues. We have seen so much of that in your posts here, and your service colleagues must be well aware of that. Yes, we all look forward to hearing how this develops.

A big THANK YOU!!

Warm hugs,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Secretary Extraordinaire ShayLeigh Dominique's Avatar
    Isha,

As an active duty individual myself let me say, thank you... Though we are in service to two different countries, you are still an inspiration. I don't think I have the honor, courage, or commitment to even attempt what you have proposed to do; at this point, depending on "things" I may have to resolve myself to leaving service entirely "due to convenience of the government" without even a "have a nice day" or "golden parachute". And I can be ok with that. I hope when or if that day comes, I have the moral fiber and the strength of character to at least make a statement for those TG/TS individuals following me.

Again, thank you.

- Shay
    “Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a [master] artist [...] can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone [...] see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. [...] Look at her, [... growing] old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired - but it does to them.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

O that's wonderful news. Congratulations!
    do not label me for i am unique

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    WOW!
    Congrats, Isha! What a huge, wonderful, beautiful step!
    :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

congratulations Isha, there are no superlatives worthy of your achievement. Well done, and thank you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Isha the Pathfinder! I hope this catches on south of the border!

Isha, I know that you have worked on this issue for some time, anything to do with government moves at glacial speed, but it does move! I'm sure that you are proud of your accomplishment and justifiably so.

I can't wait to see pictures!

Hugs, Bria

Congratulations Aisha, I am very happy for you.

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments and support. I did report to the Military Police today to obtain the "altered state of dress" identification. It was an odd thing sitting with a ton of other people who were there to obtain building passes and identification cards. There was a moment or two of confusion when I went to the desk but it was sorted quite quickly as they wanted me to turn in my male pass until I explained I needed both.

WRT to the uniform. While I left that open as a potential, it will be some time before I can truly exercise that option. You see, if I dress as a woman in a service uniform, I have to adhere to all the regulations associated with that and make-up has to be very minimal (almost to point of non-existent). So until the beard is a bit thinner (down to the short strokes but still very time consuming) I still have to use way too much foundation. Not to mention it takes a lot of make-up to make this ugly mug somewhat pretty and even then it is a stretch . So I think I will exercise the civilian dress days first and revisit in a year when the goatee zone on my face is not as dark.

Hugs

Isha

Wow Isha. Congratulations!! That was surprisingly fast.
    Does this actually show that the CAF is serious about gender (TG) issues? Hopefully so, but probably not something we will see in the mainstream media though, in contrast to the current sexual harassment cases at RMC.
    Michelle
    Some of my thoughts on crossdressing at http://themichelleinme.wordpress.com/
    A repository of Michelle photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/14176339@N04/

Fantastic Isha just plain Fantastic. I am so happy for you and so glad for the acceptance.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Banned Read only
    I:

Congratulations!

However, I have to admit that I am surprised. The military, any military, is testosterone land2. I certainly would have liked to have heard those discussions! But, whatever the means used to arrive at the decision, it is definitely a progressive step. And I'll bet that the Code of Conduct (or whatever it's called in Canada) will NOT collapse.

Who knew?

DeeAnn

Astounding and amazing Isha. thank you.

Nondressing CDer ReluctantDebutant's Avatar
    So how would these new regs apply to the battle uniform or to being out in the field or on deployment?

Congratulations Isha

Its good to hear that the military are prepared to listen and accommodate your needs.

I am sure you will be held up as great example to others in the services.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantDebutant View Post
    So how would these new regs apply to the battle uniform or to being out in the field or on deployment?
    Hi RD,

I would have to follow the same dress regulation for CADPAT (combat uniform). Hair cannot extend below the collar and if it does it can either be put up or put in a ponytail and make-up would be minimal as with the dress uniform. In the field, well, I don't know too many women who bother with make-up during these periods so I would probably just follow suit.

Hugs

Isha

You go girl. You are a heroine for many.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Nondressing CDer ReluctantDebutant's Avatar
    I am guessing that the CADPAT are of a gender neutral more masculine design much like our BDUs, DCUs, ACUs, I don't know what the new ones are called, and what ever the other branches call their camo fatigues. The only thing I could see as gender expression in those uniforms would be breastforms. I can't see those as being allowed because they are more impractical than make-up. Seems that gender expression is moot in the field.
    Last edited by ReluctantDebutant; 05-31-2015 at 07:13 AM.