Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you ever going to do "normal person stuff" again?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    So she asked "Do you ever think you'll reach a point where you are just a person, not a cause, not a voice. Just a person doing person stuff."

So I told her that I was sorely tempted by that idea a lot - moving someplace where NO ONE knows me, and just living an anonymous life as a woman. The problem is, to do that, I really have to hide who I am. I'm just not willing to do that, and people don't really treat me as they do everyone else once they know I'm trans. (I'm very open about this.)
    Existential ideology!!!
    Two distinct themes do rise, one of embracing the true self that of a woman you were born yet complicated by birth genetic defect, the other of living in a conceptual frame work of stereotype, your fiend had referred to as "Normal"

By stepping into a realm of SELF and no longer obeying the societal construct of gender, you basically have crushe the stereotype of what it is to be YOU. Your friend however does not see it from such perspective, but only notices the AB-normality of your situation.
    Relativity comes to mind, and you your self feel well, YOU, so now you are truly NORMAL as suppose to before the transition, for the friend of yours is the other way around.

Then also the aspect of true identity comes to mind. YOU are as much a woman as any woman born to this planet with some sort of reproductive/genetic malfunction at birth, such as XXY XYY chromosome identity etc.
    There are lots of variants in the TG box, however for women identifying as woman one thing remains true, and that is being born a WOMAN! and not trans anything as that is simply just description of condition and not the SELF!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    Does any activist live a "normal" life? that's a rhetorical question... does the CEO of a big company or a refugee in a war torn country live a normal life?? the whole concept serves no constructive purpose..
    Of course it serves no purpose. Although they seem to take it as an affront that my life isn't much like theirs anymore. I think that may be a big part of the problem. I am absolutely not the type of person that most of them would be friends with. The one friend I have from back then accepts me because she used to do a fair amount of volunteer work for an AIDS charity. She can accept and be friends with someone like me. For the rest of them, I believe I am simply not the type of person they'd associate with, much less befriend. Being trans is a part of this. But it's not all of it. Having a boyfriend bothers them. For that matter, when I had a girlfriend, that also bothered them. I'm liberal - that bothers them, they aren't. I volunteer for causes that are directly assaulting their way of life, threatening their very existence. (Well, OK, if 0.3% of the population can threaten 30% of the population, then, woo, I can see why they'd feel a threat.)

I'll reach out a time or two more, but I really don't hold out much hope for the relationships. Since they haven't improved in two years - in fact they seem to be dealing with it progressively worse over time - I'm not holding out much hope for a change in their attitudes.

My life, as it progresses, is successively less relatable to their lives. Were we to meet now for the first time, instead of having been friends for years, we'd have absolutely nothing in common. They are nice people, but they'd bore the hell out of me. We would have near enough to nothing in common to talk about. And for my part, I'd most likely anger and confuse them. The absolute best case would be "oh yeah, I know this one transgender..."

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    To each her own I guess. For me. ..i live a normal life, do normal things, and get along pretty well. A few friends I made when I was transitioning know about my past, but for the most part i am just a woman. I rarely go to"trans" events, or hang out with trans people, I just go about life.

While I can't get away from my past at work (I transitioned in situ) my life away from work is (hopefully) just like everyone else, I get on with life.

I applaud those who do champion the cause, and within my work environment I do what I can within the Trans network in the UK Civil Service, but when I retire (only 8 months to go!) then I hope to put my past firmly where it belongs - in the past!

Banned Read only
    As some may know, I spent 6 years working in Taiwan in the 8 years between 2004 and 2011. In that time, I worked with, for or supervised, people from 18 different countries, if I remember correctly. I've always been aware of how cultural dynamics play out, but it is fascinating to be immersed in it 10 hours a day for 6 or 7 days a week. One of the more interesting phenomena was when people from the dominant US culture realized that they were suddenly in a minority. This was quite difficult for many. It took a while and most eventually got it, but I think some never got over being uncomfortable. They realized that they could not hide; they could not be anonymous. In everything that they did, they stood out. I mentioned this previously in a thread that turned to quicksand, so it never got addressed. Obviously I can't speak to the significance of this for people who are in the process of transitioning, but it is another facet of the full range of changes that take place.

Clearly transitioning is a minefield. I think everybody knows the things that COULD blow up, but it is hard to predict beforehand WHAT will actually blow up and HOW BAD. So, the question is this:

With the realization that in addition to leaving one gender and migrating to another, does the fact that you are now in a minority group (and you were not previously), have any bearing on your perspective about transitioning? Not that it would change anything, but is the perception that it doesn't mean much or is an extra burden or ??

I think what eventually got folks over the hump was that they realized that the Taiwanese tended not to be a hostile group of people. The history with the US was generally favorable, so if you stayed out of the shadows, there wasn't a lot to fear. But, in the case of those who are somewhere in the process of transitioning, they have gone from being the major part of the population to a tiny fraction. The statisticians call that a step change. Could that be part of the difficulty?

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    With the realization that in addition to leaving one gender and migrating to another, does the fact that you are now in a minority group (and you were not previously), have any bearing on your perspective about transitioning? Not that it would change anything, but is the perception that it doesn't mean much or is an extra burden or ??
    Yes and no. I've always been in a minority group - I'm handicapped. This is highly visible (I walk funny, I always have), and I was singled out and bullied while growing up. So in some respects, I feel this helped me in transition in several ways:
    • I don't even notice when people stare at me. They did this quite a lot in the very early days of my transition, and I just didn't notice it.
    • I'm used to dealing with religious people, or others, who come up to me, unbidden, and offer their opinions about my life. I have years of practice at dealing with this.
    • I'm used to feeling somewhat stigmatized - although admittedly with my handicap people's attitudes have changed so much as I've aged that this wasn't anything like the kind of issue it was when I was a kid. So the stigma of transness was still a rude shock.

So from that standpoint, I was kind of used to some of this. (Although what I experienced before compared in no way to what I go through now.)

On the other hand, moving from living in predominantly straight areas to now living in a predominantly (at least for now...) gay area has certainly been a big case of culture shock. I didn't understand the gay community at all before I moved here. In general, I like it a lot - I have lots of friends here, but somehow I feel like I don't quite fit in. Everyone is very nice, but I've never been a gay man, so I don't share a lot of the same experiences with them. Obviously I have been with women - but I really haven't had the types of experiences most lesbians have, at least until after my transition started. I suspect my surprise that my mom hated that I had a girlfriend, despite the fact that I'd always been with women, just isn't a common experience for lesbians! (At least the parents hating your same-gender partner is probably common...)

I am in a straight relationship now, but a lot of my old connections to the straight world I used to live in have been sort of severed with the losses of friends. I'll eventually make new ones, I suppose, although I'm not sure how well I'll fit in there. Saying the words "I'm transgender" pretty much eliminates the perception that I'm a straight woman. (Just as well, I'm actually not straight anyway.) It'll be easier to re-establish some friendships and stuff in that world when I spend more time in it. Although I have to say, observing it from the sidelines, it's pretty darned boring a lot of the time. (It's like dang, so many of these people don't seem to do anything!)

Anyway, I guess the way I'd characterize it is that I'm just having trouble finding a spot where I really fit in well. So from that standpoint, being a minority is difficult. It's very isolating. (To say nothing of actual discrimination I've dealt with - and I haven't had it nearly as bad as so many others. Not even close!)

On the topic of doing "normal person stuff," I had dinner with a friend of mine last night at a restaurant in Plano. This was pretty normal, although she was a crossdresser enjoying a couple of weeks of freedom to dress up while her wife and kids were out of town. We ended up talking about classical organ music - mainly of the baroque era. My friend was an organist - I had no idea. It was neat to find another person who really likes this type of music, not so many people do. I realize though, that from most people's perspective, this probably wasn't what "normal people" do.

I dunno, I guess I'll ask my old friend who originally queried me "are you ever going to do normal people stuff again", whether or not this was normal? Or if she knows any crossdressers? (I'm fairly certain I'm the only transperson she's met that she is aware of.) I'll wait to do this until I'm really certain the relationship isn't going to mend, presuming we ever see one another again.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 06-23-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Banned Read only
    Although I have to say, observing it from the sidelines, it's pretty darned boring a lot of the time. (It's like dang, so many of these people don't seem to do anything!)

I heard that! Before I moved here, the company I used to work for transferred me to a plant in Ottawa, IL. It's about 80 miles southwest of Chicago. However, I chose to live in Joliet (about 45 miles away) for 2 reasons. One was that in the town of Ottawa (~18,000 then) there was hardly anyone who looked like me and also the social life was like you describe. Ottawa is at where the Fox and Illinois rivers come together. In the summer, people were out on their boats and drank. In the winter, they were at the bowling alley and drank. Not that I don't drink, because I do. But, that wasn't social life. It was more like social death.

Anyway, I guess the way I'd characterize it is that I'm just having trouble finding a spot where I really fit in well. So from that standpoint, being a minority is difficult. It's very isolating. (To say nothing of actual discrimination I've dealt with - and I haven't had it nearly as bad as so many others. Not even close!)
    Yes, the spectre of discrimination is the second part of it.

Getting back to the first part, one of the other things that happened within the gay community is how folks came together. With so many being kicked out by their parents, or just ostracised in general, folks took to building their own families within the community. I think they felt that there was no other choice. To me, it seems that there is some balance to be struck between inside the community and outside. What that balance is, I have no idea...

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    Perhaps instead of commenting on transgender events, my own transition, and general LGBT issues on my Facebook wall, I should, instead post:
    1. Recipes I'm trying out, like this one: jello with shrimp frosting
    2. Pictures of my cat: (awwww! I <3 you Mr. Wicked!)
    010cb2f4525eabd901761576734917281a8d422404.jpg
    3. Comments on restaurants I'm visiting.
    4. Interesting articles about my fascinating hobby: http://stamps.org/Home

I could avoid controversial subjects such as:
    1. Having a boyfriend (ewwww - you're with a MAN?!)
    - or alternatively -
    2. Having a girlfriend (omg - you're a lesbian!?!? - or - you aren't with your wife?!?)

3. Being trans

4. Anything that isn't light and fun and happy!

5. Maybe remove photos of myself, so they don't really have to notice that I'm a girl?

Do y'all think this might address the concern "are you ever going to do normal person stuff again?" Since I'm not sure whether or not these folks will actually do anything with me in person, I'd think just posting fairly normal sounding stuff ought to do the trick, don't you think? I mean I know it would help some of them if I posted the occasional Fox News article, or some such, but I have to be able to stand myself at the end of the day, so I am not going to do that. I draw the line there.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 06-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.

It's your life. Live it as you please. It's one of perks of transitioning and living authentically. You get to live it as you wish. Ask yourself. Do I want to live in trannyland or add a member of society. There is no right or wrong way. Just the way you want. I do not want to live in trannyland, so I limit my interaction with the "Trans Community". I don't post a lot of Trans stuff on my FB page. If there's an article if interest. Or is my family or friends post or share offensive stuff about Trans individuals I will call them out. I have defriended some so called friends breadbasket of their downright hatred of us. But that's only been like 1 or 2.

I don't volunteer, but if asked I don't deny. I've yet been asked by anyone in the 3 social organizations I joined that did not know me before my legal name change.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Banned Read only
    Nobody commented about my cat. How disappointing!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    Do I want to live in trannyland or add a member of society.
    Given what the rest of society does to the world and to each other, I'm thinking "mmmm ... not so much." Tempting as it is to just disappear, I couldn't live with myself if I did.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    I do not want to live in trannyland, so I limit my interaction with the "Trans Community".
    I don't want to live there either. Nobody should have to live in "trannyland", but some of us don't get much of a choice if we don't want to live in total isolation. We're fine, it's the world that needs to change. I do get that choice, so I choose to do what I can to educate others so that they might, one day, be accepting of us.

This evening, I spent my evening helping to run a support group meeting. Last night, I met with trans women who'd just come out to themselves, and who weren't sure what to do. I remember how desperate, miserable, alone and terrified I was when I first posted on this place a bit over two years ago. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to help others who are in the same dire straits I found myself in. I've helped people find therapists, medical resources, and shelter, sometimes living with me.

I saw a young trans man tonight who I'd encouraged to not shave his facial hair and to not try to somehow hide his transition from his grandparents who he visited this Sunday, for Father's Day. And he showed up tonight, with a nice set of mutton chops. And he told me it went OK with them. I would've had no right to give that young man advice, to tell him to take a risk to be himself were I not willing to take risks myself.

What I hope I do here locally though, at least a bit, is inspire other people to stand up. To help themselves by helping others. I'm just one of many who do this, and I'm certain that I am by no means the most effective at it. But I do what I can.

The normal people doing normal stuff in this country allow genuinely horrible things to happen - and most of them utter not one peep about them. If they choose not to enumerate me amongst their ranks, then so be it. I'll be proud of that. But my real hope is that they'll grow, and at least a few of them will accept me for who I am, not what they want me to be.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 06-26-2015 at 12:58 AM.

I'm a bit mixed on my responses to this. I don't think I'll ever be just a plain "normal" person. For a few reasons.
    Mainly because I tend to kind of push for advocacy For LGBT in general.. and also open sexuality and trans issues..
    I'll talk to anyone interested about the transitioning aspect, and if they want to discuss the more adult stuff..fine too.
    But the thing is that I was (with the exception of a few specific friends) a loner to begin with. Hard to be social. (still somewhat)
    But along with my transition also kicked in my self-awareness of my sexuality side.
    So because I've started small with the few already accepting friends, I've been expanding that social side.. both to Trans folk and to other more accepting "regular" folk that also understand and can accept my gender, sexuality, kink side and all.

I kind have slowed down the big "go to every trans meeting" and such activity.. and are pursuing more regular things... if you can call it that. Friday's are trans support groups... but 2 of the days I actually go to other non trans social meetups instead.
    I support trans, but I try not to keep it the scheduled focus.
    I've got 30 years to make up for not being social or even being myself. So I'm working on that side as a priority.
    It may be a bit late (I hit 50 in a month ) but I do what I can to enjoy what left I have.
    It might be thought of as a little selfish but can't be helped..I'm transitioning for myself and my sanity.. and not to just be a Trans teacher. I'll explain things if people want..but I won't be a person to work to "convert" the unbeliever to a cause. If they're not open-minded enough to allow understanding of things to start with..I've limited energy to work with and feel it's better put to other use.
    But "Normal" in the mode of what people think nowadays? Nah... Even before my gender and social transitioning I can't say I really was "normal".
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Banned Read only
    Nobody commented about my cat. How disappointing!
    Tough! Just not a cat person. TOTALLY grossed out by the critters coughing up hair balls.

I'm just one of many who do this, and I'm certain that I am by no means the most effective at it.
    The thing is, if you are the one standing between someone and The Abyss, it makes no difference who you are, what you look like, what you know or what you had for breakfast. All that that matters is that you have chosen that position between them and The Abyss. To paraphrase, you may not be Ms. Right, but you are definitely Ms. RightNow...

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    So I went out to lunch with a couple of different cis women friends of mine, one on Sunday, and one Monday. We talked about relationships, parenting, some trans stuff, people we knew, makeup, jobs, all sorts of mostly pretty normal stuff. These felt like pretty normal activities. The one on Sunday started out a little shaky for being considered "normal" - we had brunch at a restaurant in my neighborhood. Which is fine, really - except it was a drag brunch. This was unexpected and hilarious, but ok, probably not quite normal. We did end up at Starbucks though afterwards to talk. I mean, what's more cis-normative than "Starbucks," right?

So I can be normal too! I worked my job, and also had dinner with my boyfriend both nights. (Admittedly, Sunday night we watched TV together, and I don't think the show we watched was all that normal. It was some dang thing he likes called "Finding Bigfoot." Although in no way trans related - one of the people on the show is pretty obviously a lesbian but as far as is known, nobody's trans - I can't exactly call this normal TV. There wasn't a Red Sox game on, what can I say?)

OK, sure, I also spoke at an HRC press conference on TV here in Dallas today about what's next after gay marriage. I guess that probably doesn't qualify as normal person stuff. Then again, a lot of the normal people, at least judging from my facebook wall, have spent this weekend trying to rationalize why Jim Obergefell (who spoke here today both the press conference, and at a celebration I attended later) shouldn't be given the simple dignity of being listed as his husband's spouse on his husband's death certificate. I wish the feelings of normal people shocked me, but given how many trans people who've been buried under their deadnames (two in my area this year), I guess I'm more surprised that normal people don't subject us to even further indignities even after we've passed on.

I think I'm beginning to have a hard time here wanting to even be normal. Because if normal people like my friend who posed the question of this thread to me are fine with denying dignity to a gay or transgender person even after death, I have to say that I'm probably very happy to not be a normal person. Because if that's normal - I want nothing to do with it.

Anyway, lunch was nice both days, and I think I'm well on my way to having more cis friends. That part felt great!

Banned Read only
    OK, sure, I also spoke at an HRC press conference on TV here in Dallas today about what's next after gay marriage.
    We dropped the ball on GENDA again here in New York State. Really odd how we can embrace same-sex marriage but have such resistance for GENDA...

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    @flatlander_48
    Most people don't understand that such protections are vital for us - 90% of people surveyed here in the U.S. don't understand the level of discrimination we face.

Many do not see us as human beings, exactly, in my experience.

edit:
    I think the following picture from our local news shows I probably have to turn in my "normal person" card.

hrc-press-briefing-06-29-15.jpg

I'm standing next to Chaz Griffin, president of the HRC, in a press conference here in Dallas about marriage equality. As an aside, they had four trans people at the press conference and three of us spoke. I'm hoping they (the HRC) was serious about that "y'all are next after marriage equality" thing they've been saying for a while now...
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 06-30-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Silver Member
    There is no "next" when it comes to fundamental rights. The idea that they should be prioritized and sequenced is morally bankrupt. The offensive way to put the same concept over is "get in line."

All in all, Paula, sounds like a pretty normal life to me.

(PS – cats… ew)
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    There is no "next" when it comes to fundamental rights. The idea that they should be prioritized and sequenced is morally bankrupt.
    No argument from me on this - I agree completely.

I had dinner with my ex brother-in-law this evening. More talk about "how to be normal". Apparently, I shouldn't really talk about myself - ever. He thinks that might help. I pointed out that this is what got me into this mess in the first place... Just keep others talking about themselves. He also didn't understand why LGBT people have to make such a big deal out of, or even mention, being L, G, B, or T. He wondered if I couldn't be a "little more of my old self."

He was also curious why I didn't just go stealth. (He didn't know that term, of course, but it's what he meant.) I just told him "God 'n stuff."

None of this was too useful.

This was all pretty awkward until I started telling funny stories about stuff that happens in the gayborhood. None of that was normal from his perspective, but I got him laughing, and things improved. (Stories about crossdressers I know were especially well received, much to my surprise.)

I realized that I was pretty tense for the first part of the evening. I think it takes me a while to relax around people - or at least people from my past. Although he doesn't really understand this, transition is pretty stressful, life as trans is pretty stressful, and some of the support things I do are very stressful. I also think I tense up around some people, expecting rejection. Or perhaps it's more like I put up a wall emotionally, until I have some trust that I'm not going to get hurt. I dunno, I think I have some fear / rejection issues going. It would help if I actually felt fear, but I don't seem to much anymore. I sort of notice it's absence, like a missing tooth. But I certainly react to it in a sense. I stay kind of tense and ready for something just horrible to happen at any moment. Not necessarily to me - but something just awful I'll have to deal with, nevertheless.

I don't really think he understood much of what I tried to tell him about my current life. So I told funny stories about his Dad. (I miss his Dad, he was really a weird guy.) I listened to him tell me about his relationship, and about his daughter's. I didn't say a lot about mine - a little bit. I don't think he's ready to meet my boyfriend. The idea that I have a boyfriend bugs him - I think because he still doesn't really see me as a woman.

I think maybe he's right. Many of the people from my past relate to nothing about my present life. They'd care more, I think, if I won a Ping-Pong tournament, or some such thing. I'll just stop talking about myself - at all. (This is harder than it sounds - people tend to ask questions.) I'll have to prepare more amusing stories before I see a couple of my other old friends next week - the ones who posed the "normal person stuff" question to me. Maybe I can find some utterly inane topic to talk about - preferably one that won't take up much of my time to research, but will somehow be interesting to a couple of cis-het people. Maybe "what did y'all do for the fourth of july holiday?", and if asked about what I did, simply answer with the non-controversial parts "I slept late!"

I'd talk about my kids, but I really have very little idea about what's really going on with either of them.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

At a certain point, I begin to ask myself "why am I doing this to myself?", and "what kind of relationship can I possibly expect to have with people who really don't want to know the real me?"

I know I used to be able to fake this stuff before, in the past. I don't seem to be able to do that so well anymore.

Awwww, I love your cat. He/she's so cute Meow
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Yeah, why are you doing this to yourself?
    Just dump them and be done with it.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    Yeah, why are you doing this to yourself?
    I don't know. I begin to think you are right. I hadn't spoken to them in over a year.

I do miss my old friends, that's about the only part of my old life I miss. I guess I forgot about what it was like to deal with them.

I'm giving it one last try. I'll have dinner with a couple of them next week, and I'll talk about that afterwards here. These two are very conservative. Should be a laugh riot. Hopefully sticking a fork into an electrical socket won't turn out to be more fun.

I have a realized I have a lot of friends in my current life. I love my friends, and really, I love my life, challenges and all. I like the fact that I'm having lunch next week with a gender-fluid drag queen because I'm the only person he's met that has ever just listened to him talk about his feelings, instead of treating him like he's going to transition.

My boyfriend and I are going to a backyard BBQ this weekend, at the home of a couple of our friends. I'll probably make homemade ice cream. I'll meet my mom for lunch on Sunday.

Pretty normal stuff.

If it is normal for you then it is normal do what makes you feel good about yourself .Wish all the best !
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Banned Read only
    Tonight I have dinner with "Mr. & Mrs. Normal." I don't have really high hopes for this - as Pat, my boyfriend, pointed out, it says a lot that they don't wish to meet him, at least not yet.

Its been over two years since I came out to them.

Banned Read only
    Its been over two years since I came out to them.
    That line from the westerns comes to mind:

"The old ways die hard."

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 07-10-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Your doing the right thing by going out to dinner with them and allowing them the chance to hopefully reconnect with you Paula, give it time...

I had a close friend that I have known since the first day of kindergarten (36 years ago) come over last night and we talked for hours. At one point the discussion got to redefining relationships and a good point was brought up. Life for me will never be "normal", at least in the sense of what it was like for the first 41 years. Now it is up to us as friends to redefine it and find the "new normal".

I hope your dinner goes well......

Megan
    I'm outta here...

Banned Read only
    Thanks Megan and DeeAnn. I'll post about how it goes tonight. I think it'll be interesting. My friends - I'm meeting two of them tonight, a man and wife, knew me when I was in high school. C, the husband, met me in high school, when we were both really obsessed by computers. We both loved science fiction, and reggae music. It's something we shared, plus many years of history, for a very long time now. D, his wife, I met a bit later, but I met her before she had started college. I attended their wedding, I've watched their children grow and move out of their home. They were there, 25 years ago when I went into recovery for alcoholism, and they encouraged me to seek treatment. This is a lot of history to overcome. They had quite a bit of investment in the relationship emotionally. We were really close.

In a very real sense, though, their friend is just gone. The person they are presented with now looks and sounds very different. My interests are very different now - and in ways that conflict with some of their basic values. They are conservative and Christian. I used to be a fairly conservative straight guy - as far as they knew. I'm a bisexual transgender woman now, and a liberal transgender rights activist. They don't need to know all of that stuff - but the "woman" part is obvious, and my activism is all over my Facebook page. I don't do the same stuff for entertainment anymore. I think the last bit of science fiction I watched was the movie "Interstellar", which I purchased because my boyfriend wanted to see it. I don't need to watch some movie about a person living in some surreal situation, with some horrible problem that could only happen in the future - I feel like I'm living that now!

Being a woman greatly changes the dynamic between me and C - married straight guys of our age mostly just don't have really close women friends. A lot of wives complain if their husbands are talking to some woman for hours, which is what he and I used to do. D is a good friend, but she always spent more time talking to my ex-wife. But now, in the weird world of straight people, I guess she and I should be the ones who are really close, but there's 30 years of past relationship that says otherwise, and I'm sure that makes it all feel really weird.

I think that if we'd never met in the past, and were we to meet today, for the first time, there's very little chance we'd become friends. They are nice people. They live in a lovely home in a suburb of Dallas. Their neighbors are nice. Their kids are great. They are involved in their church and their community.

I find the sameness of it all, from the soulless housing subdivisions to the ever-present Starbuck's on every other corner, to the uniformity of most of the folks in that area to be suffocating. That world is just not for me. I get homesick for it from time to time, because I did live there, and I did have friends, but It's just not my world anymore.

I'm not judging them - they are happy and I'm happy for them. But I lived in that world for so very long. I can't do it anymore.

We'll see how it goes.

Banned Read only
    I think M G's point is well taken. It is possible for us to redefine a relationship, and that can be a very powerful thing. But, it assumes both sides are agreeable to doing that and it's a function of how much flexibility they have. Some folks can just let things be and others can't.

To me, it would seem to be a great opportunity to have different conversations; something that could change ones perspective and maybe bring about different thinking. Unfortunately, I guess everyone isn't wacked as I am.

There is a commercial that IBM did some years back and it still pops up every now and then. It goes something like this:

Two guys are sitting in their pickup trucks out in a field and they're having a conversation. They run a feed store.

Bill: You know, it might be good for us to be on the internet. It would make it real convenient for people to see what we can do and what we sell.

Joe: What do you want to do that for? We already sell to everybody in the county!

Bill: Joe, you ever been OUT of the county?

silence

Bill: Joe!

Joe: Hush, Ahm Thankin'...

Not to cast aspersions on anyone, but there is a lot of experience out there in the world. But, you have to be out in the world to experience it. The subdivisions and the uniformity speak to how we purposefully screen ourselves from those opportunities and limit our existence. Sad, but that's how the human mechanism often works.

DeeAnn