Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From where do you take inspiration?

Sh-sh-sh-shakin' all over jemima_bates's Avatar

From where do you take inspiration?

Hey,

Back on the forum after quite a break.

I was prompted to post after seeing a gorgeous GG (GGG?) on the tube on the way home tonight. She was wearing a leather knee-length pencil skirt (not tight, but flatteringly cut) with a black blouse and heels. She looked fantastic - an office look, but sexy with it. I made a mental note to try and recreate the look next time I dress.

And it got me thinking - where else do we take inspiration from when putting looks/outfits together? Living in London, the tube is always good for observing what's in fashion. Also, as you can probably tell from my avatar, I like to dress quite 'glam', and love short dresses and heels, so nights out in the West End, or in Essex, where the girls still get quite dressed up, always give me ideas for future combinations.

Of course, many of you will prefer a much more 'every day' look - the dresses and heels are just my personal tastes.

So, where do you take inspiration? Do you take tips from GGs? Keep up with what the fashion magazines dictate is the right 'look', or are you plowing a lone furrow with your own unique style?

Jemima
    x

Someone a long time ago on this site said "You can't be envious of ALL women, so pay attention to the ones you do envy." This has worked great for what inspires me. I keep my eyes open and pay attention to what it is that makes me envious. Trying to re-create whatever it is (that I can.) I love the 50's hoopy dress and skirt style, but it is summer, so now certain sundresses and light skirts are inspiring me. I have been paying extra attention to what to wear under sheer or thin material, seems some just let it be while others do a white or skintone slip, which seems more sensible for me... Of course the beach makes me envious too... not all set with being stuck with knee length board shorts... Oh well.

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    Short skirts & high heels are a good start. Whenever I shop online I just look for what I think will look good on me.
    I don't think about if some movie star wore a similar outfit or not. I have no idea what's in style this season and don't really
    care. Whatever it is it probably wouldn't look good on me anyway.

Reality Check
    I mostly take inspiration from my wife. Other women I see on the street and TV have a small impact.

Platinum Member
    I confess there is nothing unique about my style. I observe what I like on other women and, try to honestly imagine if it can work for me. Over the years, through much trial and error, I've developed a reasonably reliable sense of what will be flattering.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My wife is the biggest inspiration I have. I love to emulate her. I just wish my legs looked half as good as hers.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jemimi, When a particular attractive GG catches my attention I make a mental picture
    and dissect the parts and try to recreate that look the next dressing session.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Mail order catalogs and magazines. They try to put together stuff that will look so good that it will sell. If I have stuff similar to what's in the ad, I try that combination. Of course, there isn't much in my size, so there aren't a lot of outfits that I can even attempt to try.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Piniest and mail order catalogs and cosmopolitan oh most of all other girls. my wife and I are working on my style.

Erika

Painted toes n panties Cassandra*'s Avatar
    There's a dress store in my town and I try to catch the light so I have to stop just to look at the beautiful gowns. I just wish I had the body for what they sell. Always the brides maid as they say. When ever I pass by stores I window shop and say I will some day stop in and shop. I'm not afraid to go in and buy dressed as a guy when they ask I tell them coming home from work and treating my self to a new dress or so. Any one with a sense of style has my attention. Shop on girls and enjoy being yourselves.

I'm always aware of the current trends but usually come up with my own unique look.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Classic styles of dressing have influenced me. Just yesterday I spent the day out in my favourite flared linen skirt, a form fitting navy knitted top, 3" blue suede sandals and my big sun hat. I got so many compliments from women that perhaps I influenced some of them!

My preferred look is a pair of sky high heels, a lacy little black dress, and a pair of sheer pantyhose. Ive always preferred the going out look over the everyday look. Growing up, this is what always caught my eye, Dresses, heels/wedges, and hosiery.

Banned Read only
    If I were to say, it would probably be my mother. Somewhere I mentioned the other day that I would classify myself as stylish, but not necessarily in style. That actually would characterize my mother. She had a classic sense of style where nothing was too short there or too low-cut here. Those anomalies were just never part of the plan. Everything she wore just sort of came together. I don't really remember that she deliberately taught me about color, patterns, styles, etc. but I was certainly aware of how she dressed. She was always very particular about things with a strong preference for quality over quantity. Basically she was pretty uncompromising about how she should look and the image that she wanted to project. Over time, the majority of my choices mirror all of the above.

To briefly provide a bit of insight as to her character, she always had a thing for crossword puzzles; the harder, the better. However, the telling factor was that she always did them in ink and rarely, rarely made a mistake.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 06-22-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Most of the regulars on the site know my personal look is soccer mom chic. I'm happy looking like a well put together lady who's out and enjoying life in general. If I do dress up, I keep it simple, not a lot of fru fru. My wife is the main influence in this look and I love watching other ladies my age and make mental notes on their wardrobe.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Being in Hawaii I'd say a cute bathing suit and especially bikini bottoms. It inspires me to keep things nice and flat and my bikini line neatly trimmed.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    "...I get my inspiration from real photos .i use google image search in a unique way ..and i use wacky keywords together like " girl ice cream summer" or "snow heels classy girl" just wacky keyword word combos...the combos pull up interesting real pictures of girls in action..living life on the streets, .....and I draw inspiration from them ....for style, makeup, accessories etc....they say a photo is worth 1000 words...and I agree...even a photo as simple as this tells me something about this summer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    The fashions and makeup look from the 50's
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

Gone to live my life
    Hi Mimi,

After a bit of trial and error, observing women in and around my age group, I have developed my own sense of style which works for me. When doing something more formal it is likely to be a dress/skirt or dress pants. Everyday wear tends to be jeans and tops or capris in the summer.

Hugs

Isha

I take inspiration from several sources. I've always been attracted to the professional/office look. It goes back to my days as a temporary clerical worker and I loved what the executive women would wear. I also get inspiration from Pinterest and have several boards for dresses, outfits, jewelry, etc. I've recently become fond of vintage 50's style dresses. A lot of those are being sold by Etsy vendors.

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

Careful I bite <3
    I like lots of different types of looks, so I do get ideas from everywhere. Nightclubs in South Beach, malls, subways (tube) when I'm places that have them. Even TV.

I do lean towards heels a bit, and skirts are definitely a HUGE plus for me since they are less andro, but I'm working on everyday looks for fun.

Planning to go out does require a bit of attention to finer details of just looking smashing, you need to fit the atmosphere a bit.
    Last edited by Badwolf; 06-23-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Sh-sh-sh-shakin' all over jemima_bates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Mail order catalogs and magazines. They try to put together stuff that will look so good that it will sell. If I have stuff similar to what's in the ad, I try that combination.
    Good thinking s_m; it's not just the item for sale, but the whole combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Moretti View Post
    "...I get my inspiration from real photos .i use google image search in a unique way ..and i use wacky keywords together like " girl ice cream summer" or "snow heels classy girl" just wacky keyword word combos...the combos pull up interesting real pictures of girls in action..living life on the streets, .....and I draw inspiration from them ....for style, makeup, accessories etc....they say a photo is worth 1000 words...and I agree...even a photo as simple as this tells me something about this summer...
    Also a great idea! And Adriana, I love that photo - you're right, it really is evocative of a certain summer feeling. Although I wouldn't really dress like those girls (festival favourites Hunter wellies aren't really my thing) there's something about that look that is really attractive to me. Maybe it's 'cos I think it might say more about their personalities. Me - I'll stick to the heels.

Jemima
    x

I take mine from a number of beautiful women i have seen, or known, or pictures of them. Certain GG's i went to school with, or in other venues, that i never forget. And, always, in dresses, or skirts, tops, hose and heels, with great legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Moretti View Post
    ...interesting real pictures of girls in action..living life on the streets, .....and I draw inspiration from them ....for style, makeup, accessories etc....they say a photo is worth 1000 words...and I agree...even a photo as simple as this tells me something about this summer...
    Definitely! There are a few "street fashion" blogs that I follow as well - I keep an eye out for both men's and women's fashion points that I'm drawn to, but I'm always jealous of the range and diversity of styles women can wear. I tend toward the bohemian/ slightly hipsterish look, but I love to look for other styles to try for.

I like the 50's look the office look and now being older a everyday girl in a dress or skirt .I guess i have many favorites and try not to limit myself to just one
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo