Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reality...check

The perception of "reality" shows seems to be the hinge point.

Let's make this more interesting: You can choose a number or add a show...

1)RuPaul
    2)Yes to the Dress type
    3)a show about makeovers...in general (Maybe you get a free one...maybe they just ask your opinion)
    4)hot spots in cities all over the country...not gay but maybe mainstream
    5)Travel show

Assume they promise to be classy. What would be a show you may feel comfortable doing?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    3 to 5........tell me they got to you too LOL........

2 thru 5, I would be willing to do. As to a reality show, depending on the show and the circumstances I might do it.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I wouldn't run, and would listen. But the answer would be no.
    Dana Ryan

I am a behind the scenes person, and don't like to be interviewed no matter how I'm presenting. Plus, it could cause work issues if I were recognized.

(I'm more often the one operating the camera or microphone for these kinds of productions, though!)

- Diane

No I wouldn't. I don't like tv shows with 'real' people and reality shows are the worst. A serie with a good story is nice and cartoons are ok, but besides that I couldn't care less.
    do not label me for i am unique

No, I don't want the added chance of friends or family having this to deal with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Hi Lorileah

A similar thing happened to me.
    I was laying flowers at a particularly tragic incident where a young man lost his life. At the time I was there it was fairly quiet with most people at work. There were at least two news crews wanting to interview me. I declined as I have no desire to appear on television especially up close and personal.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Heck no! I'm camera shy.
    Ms. Tina Zee - Your favorite gender nonconforming ukulelist and vocalist. Well, one of your favorites, I hope.

See me sing right here! https://www.youtube.com/user/MsTinaZee

Gone to live my life
    Hi Lorileah,

I would have no problem appearing before the camera however I would not just sign on sight unseen. I would not appear on a reality television series as they all tend to be quite cheesy. Now in your list of other options, perhaps a travel show so long as the angle wasn't me as a TG person but actually travelling . . . especially if they were paying for me to travel somewhere

Hugs

Isha

I have been interviewed in male mode a couple of times.
    While I may not be recognized dressed, my voice is very "noticeable" and anyone who knows me would realize who I was.
    That being said, I would do it anyway.
    Not many people who know me aren't aware of this side of me anyway.
    Anyone else just wouldn't matter to me.

Aspiring Member
    4/5, as long as I'm in shades and speaking Mandarin - my accent when speaking Mandarin is more generic.

Hi Lorileah,

This is certainly a different question you pose. I'm not a fan of reality shows ("cheesy", as Isha puts it). IF it were situation where I could add to people's understanding of heterosexual, monogamous crossdressers, I would certainly consider it, but I'm not sure about your list of five. For me, RuPaul's drag show, Jerry Springer and similar shows that tend to depict us as gay and perhaps on the freakish side have not done much for our image -- or tolerance or acceptance. A "Say yes to the Dress" thing might be fun if it would help us and women with broader shoulders and narrow hips find what works for us.

Since I'm sort of out to a fair number of people, I would not be too concerned about outing myself on TV.

Thanks for starting this one!

Hugs,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Banned Read only
    L:

Before I saw your description above, I would have envisioned something like the late night cable program, Real Sex. They ask sex-related questions of people who happen to pass by. It could be couples or groups of friends...

DeeAnn

No I would not do it, I know a lot of people and now with this Caitlyn Jenner business
    going on, I am finding out just how closed minded a lot of those people are.

I do not need to put myself in that line of fire.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

It’s possible that I have already been in one but not likely. During Diva Las Vegas I went to meet with a Valery to retrieve a wrap I had left at one of the events. I met her at her hotel The Flamingo. She asked me to accompany her to the pool. At the pool there were signs warning that they were filming kids of Beverly Hill or something. I guess we could be in a background shot.

More to your question, I’m out but I don’t see the up side for me to be any kind of spokesperson.
    Love Jean

Reality Check
    Nope.

PS: Let me add to my initial response: "Reality shows" are BS. There's no "reality" about them.

Just yesterday I was watching one where the guy was in a boat and hit a log and punched a hole in it and it was filling with water. He was afraid it would sink and was worried that he and his buddy would drown or be stranded in the swamp. The reality was, of course, that there was another boat with a camera crew right next to his. I suspect he didn't really punch a hole in the boat, they just put water in it with a bucket.
    Last edited by Krisi; 06-23-2015 at 07:08 AM.

I'm thinking yes on 2-5. I'm pretty sure I'd look like an idiot on Rupaul though, even though I'm not against it categorically. Our hometown heroine here got kicked off in the first round =(

I think if interviewed it would be an hour long ramble though, just like my posts. I've got to work on my 'elevator speech' definition of my identity I guess.

I find myself strangely 'out', and the tiniest bit in your face anout it. I've gone from being in the closet in my head, to riding in a group ride this weekend with a bunch of people I hadn't met in a skirt, cure t-shirt and sandals. You gotta love bikers though ~ no one once batted an eye, 10 new friends in 24 hours. I'm feeling lately like if you aren't comfortable with my totally mixed up identity, I really don't want to know you anyway....so why hide it? If all of America wants to see me all funky in a skirt when I haven't shaved for a week, more power to them...as long as they don't ask for my real fem name or address of course...

Yes I would. Zero - 5. All of the scenario's. Why not? Yes it probably helps that I am out and about so I am not in a closet. Plus I have come to the conclusion, after many years in the closet trying to find the dang door. If they don't like it or me. Then they can something not allowed here off. As an example of this. I am going to be driving a big yellow bus ( kinda hard to miss ) in the pride parade this weekend in Seattle. It will be live streamed by one of the local TV stations and later they will show shot's from the parade. Will I be shown or interviewed? I doubt it, but there is the chance of course.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Not a chance! Firstly, I'm not a fan of these so-called reality shows - yeuch! Secondly, knowing my luck somebody who knows, and will recognise, me is bound to be watching the show. It's just too big a risk.

To those who accuse me of being chicken I say "cluck cluck" (I.e. Guilty as charged!)
    Last edited by Judith96a; 06-23-2015 at 11:11 AM.

I would not take a chance.

Banned Read only
    I can just see it now. Stephanie is on the old Tonight Show being interviewed by Jay Leno at Disneyland. I value my privacy whether I am in male mode or female mode. I would not be on any reality show PERIOD.

Probably not, I could care less that the viewership of cable TV would see me, 99.99% of viewers would not know who this person is. But just that one person you do know that might watch and possibly recognize you. It could all very likely be down-hill from there.
    You are not you, you are me.

Goth boy by day, Goth girl by night.

Buy Would I ,,lol I would break it down for them right then and there,, Cuz I Fancy myself a Super Star,,,,,

For me the short answer is no!

I think that reality shows deal with anything but reality, I can't stand to watch them and find a different channel or the OFF button!

Hugs, Bria