Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you open the door?

Aspiring Member
    LOL

Thanks for all the comments ladies. Actually, I never wanted to imply that women are impolite, or that I should abandon my values. It was just a thought that went briefly through my mind (and believe me, I'm really not overthinking this - I leave that for my consideration of a unified field theory I'm puzzling over).

I guess the bigger picture behind my comment was how many little everyday things define gender differences... some of them major and some merely whimsical. Things big and small that we might never had considered.

And without going into it further, those who got angry with me for posting this... please back off. This was just a point of interest - not a world shattering issue.

Aspiring Member
    Courtesy has no gender. Most appreciate it, some should. C'est la vie. You were courteous; you can feel good about it.

Ineke

I frequent a local convenience store for coffee. I stop by there nearly twice a day, on average, and it is a very busy store. I have observed the door-holding business (mostly out of sheer curiosity) and have concluded that opening doors is not gender specific, nor does it seem to be related to age, race or (as near as I can tell) religion, or economic status. I suspect there's a reason some things are referred to as "common courtesies".
    Last edited by DorothyElizabeth; 06-27-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typos. bah.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Gold Member
    I walk with a cane, have a balance issue. Many times as I approach a door,
    People open and hold it for me. Sometimes it is a Woman, some times it is
    a Man. I always thank them, as they are being extra courtesy.
    Some times when a Girl/ Woman is holding the door, I say Thank You, But
    I should be holding for you. I get a real nice smile when I say that.
    So do not worrier, having a little common courtesy is a good thing.
    Rader

Depends who gets to the door first and such.
    I've had women hold it for me and I've done it for them.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Sandie I think holding a door for a woman or a man is just the right thing to do. If you get to the door first you hold it for someone else.If I'm going in or out a door I will hold it if someone is walking to it.
    Angie

Of course even the girls need to show courtesy

Careful I bite <3
    Old thinking of manners you did something nice, so don't overthink it. I do tend to catch GG's be LESS conscious of wether or not someone is coming through (in front or behind), and they are likely to just keep on moving. This by no means says that it's not possible, just that they don't stress it. If they notice I've had women hold the door even for me in guy mode and girl mode. I'd just chalk it up to acting as your own woman.

I did the same thing at Dress Barn for some man and his wife. Neither one gave me a 2nd look