Thread: A grand get together

A grand get together

A thought just sprang into my head. Members here attend various meetings, groups, conferences. What if we had our own get together? The stat's show
    Members 28,483, Active Members 4,708. What a few days that could be!

A sort of CD jamboree, dib dib.

Makeup manufacturers would need to ensure adequate supplies of foundation reached the local shops. Queues for pedi's would form. Folks getting high on perfume. A CD Woodstock without the mud.

Perhaps the time is drawing near for a global gathering. A shout out, a statement of we're here to. Perhaps we've held onto the coat tails of the gay community in promoting our cause for too long; says an in the closet CD. Hypocrisy isn't lost on me!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

getting the right promoters i can see this happen. something like the sabdiago comic con or the eltronic art fair. you can have booths set up of all various vendors and companys fasion , makeup, info booths, they could have panels dedicated to various topics one could be done with jenner. they could hand out promo material and sale products. companys i would see invoved would be sephoria, macys, victria secrets, and many others. i see this comming real soon.

Yeah, it would be kind of an Ed Woodstock!

Don't want to pour water on your jamboree bonfire, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    ... says an in the closet CD. Hypocrisy isn't lost on me!
    Ay, and there's the rub Helen... and I don't think you should be too hard on yourself - you do at least get out and about...

Devil with the numbers is always in the detail... 4,000+ active members means that many who have logged on in past 30 days (if the default setting in vBulletin remains) - but of those thousands how many post? And (more importantly) how many actually get out in the world... regularly...?

It's a nice idea but the US conferences are probably the best benchmark of how many folk would actually turn out - it's an interesting measure of how many of us there actually are and who do get the opportunity to get to major gatherings. Explains why Sparkle is the only major UK event (that I'm aware of...) and that is bolstered by the entire LGBT scene in and around Manchester...

I'd probably get to more events if my circumstances were different but that's the whole point isn't it? A few more balls would go down well here... just for fun...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

It would truly depend on the ball and the general wishes of it's membership. Most of the sought after conferences in the US aren't quite ready for me yet. Although at the How Weird Festival in San Francisco we attended this year (with me in pants mind you) even in my most "out there" outfit I'd still have been pretty vanilla.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Would be very fun but our numbers here don't tell how many actually get out and participate. Like me many would be very scared of the media tearing us apart. Also it's hard to hide in a conference where we register and wear name tags. I deep down would enjoy being dressed and participating but would not because of fear of being found out. Just my opinion.

Aspiring Member
    Jaylyn, you have a point. I'm sure there are many of us who would go to something like this, but how many would risk being seen? Anytime you are at a function like this, pictures get taken and once on the internet, anything goes.

That's why I have great respect for those on this site who post pictures of themselves (face and all). These would be the ones most likely to attend - and then how many of us are there like this? Enough to make such a thing a success?

And then there is the overriding problem of who's going to organize it. Who's going to take charge? It would be a lot of work.

If someone out there wants to put such an affair together, you can count on me to attend. And I would be interested to see a poll of those on this site who would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandie70 View Post

If someone out there wants to put such an affair together, you can count on me to attend. And I would be interested to see a poll of those on this site who would do the same.
    I am definitely interested and would attend, but like Sandie said who is going to organize all of this.

I think a poll would be a good starting place though to find out how much interest there is, also as far as being seen on the internet if pictures are taken at the event that would not keep Lauri away. I am fine with my picture being taken, proud to be me.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    most gals will meet up at the conventions or events already taking place, and communicate it through here...i know i met gals from here at first event, keystone, raven, triangles, however the cd.com numbers are small...out of 100's of gals...like 5 from here would be alot who showed up. You could also do local chapters...like north south east.west ( usa).......i'd go.....cause 1 location everybody and there mother would have the excuse its too far...or better yet we HAVE one in progress already for USA members set up by one of our OWN members ...Samanthas 3 day Event in Detroit coming up in JULY......the info is posted in the event section.Hotels, makeovers, support...she really put together something cool..me and 3 other gals are making the 13 hour drive to attend, 3 hour shifts overnight...it cant come soon enough !
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...-July-23-24-25
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 06-27-2015 at 05:02 PM.

there are probably a dozen uk groups i found who meet regularly, at least Helen they have 30 or so people committed to a night a month ... wondering if that means maybe 400 outwardly active brits and 2 million closeted?!

If there were a party then the organisers of the existing balls would know - Katey888 could tell us the numbers ?

organising conferences is a task that receives little gratitude and takes a lot of work - and money.

I'd like to meet more CD'ers to discover the variety of our tribe.

xxx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I once tried to organize a gathering of members from a national photography group. It was hard enough to get people to commit to participating in a survey to find the best time and place, and that was here in the U.S. I can't imagine organizing a transatlantic event. These ideas sound great in concept but it takes a strong commitment from at least a dozen people to make it happen.

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

It is a great idea ... and ... it will never work

Some number:
    Members: 28,500 members
    Active: 4,700
    People who will respond to the thread: 25
    People who will actually show up: 7

Pamela and Bridget are right, the task of organizing something is enormous and thankless. Getting vanilla vendors interested is very difficult. More likely to get some of the dedicated dressing service vendors there, but even that it not easy for a first time event.

I have been to SCC in Atlanta several times and have always had a great time.
    First time, I did not know anyone in person before going, but had arranged to meet with on CD friend from an online chatroom.
    I only ever sat in on one seminar, the rest of the time was more like being at a holiday resort with 700 of my closest friends.
    Spent time at the pool, yes, even in a bikini, spent time chatting with people at the lobby bar, spent time at the official lunches and dinners. Even talked to some of the vanilla hotel guests who had tons of questions. Also went out to a night club in town, open to all but it was pre-arranged by the conference as an outing place.

Anyway, this is not about the official conferences but about "friends" from this forum meeting.

What I would suggest is more in line with another outing thing I have had a great time at several times. A get-together of friends from a forum. In my case, it was from the mentioned chatroom.
    We met at the private home of one of the girls. Married and the wife was perfectly fine with us visiting. We would get together about once a year for several years in a row. It was officially a party on Saturday evening, but some of us came and spent the weekend. We would cook together, eat together, chat, hang out and just have a good time. Some of us would go shopping or sightseeing as well, some were more comfortable just staying at the house.
    Some, like me, would come from several states away, but most were locals. One girl would even come over from the UK!

So it is possible to arrange something like this, without making it into a huge conference. But, the best chance for success is to arrange something small and casual. Party at a private home is good for those who are not comfortable going out in public.
    Expect a small group, 10-20 tops and just arrange something with people who live within reasonable driving distance.

But .. arrange a conference .. no, I would recommend against that

Oh, and btw .. dont expect more than 50% of those who say they will come to actually show up. This community is not the mot realistic in the world when it comes to these things. Fear and worry is a powerful force to deal with

- Suzie
    Last edited by Suzie Petersen; 06-27-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    They've been going on for years now. Apparently you've missed them? The SCC has over 700 dressers there. With over 35 from cd.com the last time I was there.

The DLV in Vegas at least 20 and Wildside over 25 I believe. Believe me, all, the girls at these events r just as interesting and open as those here on cd.com.

In addition, when I began going out to CD events locally I continue to run into cd.com girls! Probably over 30 to date.

So, stop dreaming and wishing! U don't need to go out to vanilla venues. I'm a closet dresser andvthese events r all held in safe, accepting venues. I've seen so many linebackers in dressers I've lost count! No matter how u feel or look you'll be accepted! Try it once. If u don't have the time of your life, then goback in your closet!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 06-27-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I suppose in my own way I was trying to point to the great strides the gay community has taken over the last few decades. They have what can only be considered as a political presence. Groups that actively campaign for changes in the law. They've become mainstream.

The CD community has just tagged along. There's a new thread which asks what do gay men hate us so much? While I'm sure it's a generalisation there is a small faction for which it is true. Perhaps it's because the muggles see CD therefore wrongly gay so the gays get the muggles dislike of us transferred. CD's would go to Gay Pride events while not being gay.

Look, I don't have the answers but I am aware that our lifestyle doesn't get explained and perhaps now, with all the proposed legislation around gender appropriate toilet use and the hatred that seems to be fueling it, there needs to be a more visible organised presence.

So would someone like to do that please?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

It's a grand idea Helen, however it takes a lot of money, work, and determination to get an event like that going. Up until 2012 there was such an event in Chicago called BeAll and girls from all over the world attended, but alas, it ended with the 30th anniversary. It was certainly a grand event and I miss meeting all the grils from all walks of life.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

It is a great idea, but, for people like me who are in the closet, as much as I'd like to attend I couldn't do so. Quite happy to meet anyone up here in the North for a beer or coffee but dressed in drab unfortunately. I've got some new photographs that I'm thinking about posting but I'm worried that they may be seen outside the group - it is the internet after all and I suspect plenty of CD'ers are in the same position as me. They'd love to... but... can't. Too nervous of what 'could' happen or be seen

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    It is a great idea, but, for people like me who are in the closet, as much as I'd like to attend I couldn't do so. Quite happy to meet anyone up here in the North for a beer or coffee but dressed in drab unfortunately. I've got some new photographs that I'm thinking about posting but I'm worried that they may be seen outside the group - it is the internet after all and I suspect plenty of CD'ers are in the same position as me. They'd love to... but... can't. Too nervous of what 'could' happen or be seen
    Hi AnnaMarie

Manchester Concord run by Mary, meets on Wednesday nights in the Village in Manchester, they have a changing room above the meeting room which is above Villagios Italian restaurant Canal St. I am a member and don't mind being a big sister for a newbie, they have a web site wwww.manchesterconcord.org.uk
    cheers Rolena Joanne
    Roli for short
    Last edited by Roli F; 07-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Northern Monkeys versus Southern Softies My avatar is used by me with the permission of it's creator, Jason Thompson a wonderful American artist You cannot change me, though I can change the way I dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    I don't have the answers but I am aware that our lifestyle doesn't get explained and perhaps now, with all the proposed legislation around gender appropriate toilet use and the hatred that seems to be fueling it, there needs to be a more visible organised presence.

So would someone like to do that please?
    Proably this needs a dedicated retired person. I'd mentor someone wanting to do something like this, give advice, offer connections. Really the Beaumont Society offers something, Sparkle offers (unfortunately working conflicts with this year). A book, a film, more Transparent TV series all help.

What might help is for a) us to form an agreed lifestyle description into wikipedia?!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er