Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terrifying to be a Female?

size matters... just like pictures don't lie

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    But not for trans women? Probably an unintended meaning, but interesting nonetheless, considering the topic is about trans women.
    Yes, entirely an unintended meaning--but you're quite right to pick up on it, considering, as you say, that this topic is about trans women. I focused on the big awareness that had struck me about the vulnerability of women during one of my temporary excursions in female mode, but I missed the heightened dangers for trans women in particular. Please accept my apologies for that insensitivity.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl reeves View Post
    size does not matter period,its the thought process. i guess most of you think women are weak,me i learneed first hand they are far from weak when they get rid of the woe is me attitude,and always being aware.
    Cheryl, I'm not sure what part of "all things equal" you didn't understand, but putting it in your own terms then, when big or strong meets smaller or weaker and the thought process is the same, smaller or weaker loses. There is no alternate universe in which an advantage is not an advantage. It is inarguable – really and truly inarguable – that women, on average, are physically smaller and less strong than the average man. Moreover, men, again on average, run faster, jump further, throw further, etc.

No-one is saying that women are the "weaker sex" in the sense of being lesser. Acknowledging physical realities is not the same thing. If you are seriously advocating that women should NOT be more careful, then I feel sorry for the women in your life that you counsel on safety. By all means, train them to your hearts content on the "thought process." And then tell them to be extra careful because of the physical realities.

Lori - thank for that nice response.
    Last edited by LeaP; 07-05-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl reeves View Post
    size does not matter period,its the thought process. i guess most of you think women are weak,me i learneed first hand they are far from weak when they get rid of the woe is me attitude,and always being aware.
    LOL

Weak? I don't think you'll find anyone who actually knows me that would describe me as weak. Not even those who hate me.

However when it comes to physical strength, I am decidedly weaker than a similar sized man would be. I wasn't an overly strong guy, but I was a competitive athlete so I was in pretty good shape and was reasonably competitive in a few sports. After a few years on full dose HRT, I am less than half as strong as I once was. Things that were once easy, are now so difficult that I need help.

Speaking to self defense, I was the average femmy kid who learned to fight by being beat up a lot. Even at my best, I wasn't a great fighter. Never really had the instinct for it. It was far more common for me to be on the losing end, but over the years I learned that getting beat up wasn't so bad. As a dude, I hated to fight, ...but to this day I am not afraid.

Having said that, there is no way in hell I would challenge a dude to anything other than a battle of wits. I am obviously not the man I once was, and that man wasn't exactly a badass anyway.

The struggle is real. Most women are not equipped to fight a man. Most of us have little to no interest in doing such a thing.

Is it terrifying to be me? Well, it certainly can be, but most of the time it isn't. There are definitely places I won't go alone, and there are definitely situations to avoid. (drinking too much in public, etc.) Women in general are always a target, but obvious trans-women are even bigger targets. The weird but funny CD fantasy of beating up the bashers while in full fem mode and triumphantly walking away in stiletto heels is soo far fetched that it doesn't belong in the TS forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    LOL . . . The weird but funny CD fantasy of beating up the bashers while in full fem mode and triumphantly walking away in stiletto heels is soo far fetched that it doesn't belong in the TS forum.
    Hi Melissa,

Very true. I teach self defence to women (my wife included) and as a trial, I dressed in skirt and heels, purse, wig etc. and sparred with my wife. She had me down in approximately three minutes. Everything was off kilter and not balanced. The best defence is awareness of surroundings and company. When I go out with other GGs we walk each other to our respective cars and yes, they walk me to mine as well.

Isha

I don't think it matter who you are or how you dress everyone needs to be smart of where they go and when they go there and to get an eye on their surroundings. Though I'm sure some are targeted more than others crime isn't limited by anything other than the bed / negative parts of the human condition.

A healthy fear is good as explained in "The Gift of Fear". Does not matter what your designation is we are all humans that may be preyed upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I teach self defence to women (my wife included) and as a trial, I dressed in skirt and heels, purse, wig etc. and sparred with my wife. She had me down in approximately three minutes
    I also teach (man and woman) and allow students the chance to go through simulated common confrontations and they then realize that it is a wise idea to practice in their street attire.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-06-2015 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Multiposting is making posts directly one after another, when you should have edited the additional comments into your first post.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Reality Check
    You know, statistics can be used to try to prove or disprove anything. You have to consider the source and you have to know how they compiled those statistics. You also have to look at their definition of "sexually assaulted". I call BS.

Some years ago, I attended a public safety academy where state and municipal officers were trained to work the streets as entry level law enforcement officers. Two things have stayed with me from that experience; first is situational awareness, second is presentation.

I was taught and ascribe to situational awareness as it relates to a stop light: red, orange and green. Red: You only relax at home, maybe, in your easy chair before the fire. When you are out of the home, you are at orange, you are always aware of and tracking all threats (and everything is a potential threat until proven otherwise). Green, well that is when someone is going to die, maximum alert, locked and cocked.

Along with that we were taught that presentation is critical; you must appear confident and capable. Not threatening, not abusive, just confident. How you hold yourself, how you walk, how you communicate are all relevant. As someone noted below, you control your fear and get it done.

I would point out that lady officers tend to talk a lot more than male officers and train themselves to defuse rather than to make a situation more physical within the continuum force by their choice of words, tone, volume, etc. The are just as effective as the testosterone laden male officers.

By falling back of male patterns of behavior (in your face aggression) you will quickly escalate an otherwise minor situation into an event of more dangerous proportions.

Does the above hold true in every situation, no, there are exceptions but you can manage your odds.

Have plan, and a plan B. Role play, when you walk into a room or other venue, scope it out for threats, consider possible events and how you would react and plan for a quick exit. No shame in a tactical withdrawal.

Be safe out there ladies!

Ah-May-Lee
    Anyone can get attacked by bad people. Maybe more men than women are killed by bad guys.

One way I see things is to live a better life than most. What I mean is to have an education so one can get a decent job where one won't have to be in bad areas or bad situations. It gives a better control over your life. I say this cause I had to do things I am not proud of and being this way put me in situations that I had no escape from. Cause I needed money to survive. So with that I was attacked twice, once by a group of guys in a flea bag hotel and once by gunpoint, both situations being difficult to fight against.

Things happen in life, one either moves on or one finds the razor blade or rope to finish things, but that is a permanent solution. Just stay away from bad situations, use common sense and have a life that prevents having to be in bad situations.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

If being viewed as weaker is your biggest fear in transition your ahead of the game.
    Always remimber life is what you make it.
    So make it Beautiful.

Love Ashley Dawn
    http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ashley...00004093583692

Banned Read only
    Look, anything can happen to anyone at any time. Just ask the Marines, Sailors, Army, and Police officer that were just shot yesterday. Stuff happens! However, as a transwoman out walking down the street, there are a few things you can do. Go learn self defense. This isn't so that you can kick everyone's ass. It is to give you that one second to get away. Always carry mace or a stunner. Have it available in your hand if you are feeling threatened. The attacker isn't going to wait for you to dig through your purse, then figure out how to aim so you don't mace or stun yourself. Again, this isn't a method that is going to leave them laying on the ground. It is so that you have a chance to get away. DO NOT think you can stand there and go toe to toe with them. You are going to get your ass kicked! Run! Find a place where there are people around. Report the attack to the Police. Yes, we must be on guard at all times but also need to learn to relax and have some fun also. Be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by rachael.davis View Post
    My GI therapist made a comment on the order of you should be nervous - You're moving away from male privilege, and probably aren't going to be offered standard women's courtesies...

Ah, when talking of men it is "privilege", but when speaking of women it is "courtesy". I love the language of victimhood.

When a criminal attacks someone, privilege or courtesy does not enter their thoughts. The only way to deal with them is to either avoid dangerous situations or to approach those situations in such a way that an assailant will decide that it is too risky to attack.

I'm tall, but I can't be sure that I can intimidate a thug in either mode, so my approach is to not put myself or my friends in dangerous situations.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]