Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you approach this?

Banned Read only

How would you approach this?

Yesterday at an unrelated club meeting I noticed a guy that was wearing a bra. The back was actually quite visible through his shirt. I did not say anything at the time and I do not believe he was trying to show it. Because of the way he seemed to stay separated from the rest of the group. I feel as though I missed my chance by not saying anything yesterday, But I did not want to start a scene or out him to the group.

How should I approach him to let him know we share another hobby.

Mostly in my head Hilde_Morales's Avatar
    We really need a secret handshake, don't we!

I don't know, balancing the potential self-consciousness against the joy of finding 'another'... I would certainly prefer to be spotted by a sympathiser.

As long as it is done sensitively away from the group, where there is definitely no risk of humiliation.
    Personally, I don't underdress, so if I get spotted, I am bang to rights.

Are you certain it was a bra?
    How would you feel if the positions were reversed?
    Then came a curious hesitation. Was my appearance really credible?
    I was grotesque to the theatrical pitch, a stage miser, but I was certainly not a physical impossibility.
    I spent some minutes screwing up the courage and then unlocked the shop door and marched out into the street.
    The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells

Take care Roberta... perhaps there is some curious medical condition that requires a non-CDing male to wear some similar apparatus to a brassiere...

Perhaps some time you could engage him in conversation about Caitlyn (still big in the media, right..?) and see if he is prepared to talk around the subject... I know he may not be TG, but most CDs would at least be prepared to discuss the context... this might provide an opening...?

Of course, you could just surreptitiously sneak up behind and give it a good 'twang' accompanied with a friendly grin... Mind you, that never did get me very far with Jayne Rolfe when I was in the Lower Sixth... perhaps a more subtle approach is preferred...

Try chatting to the guy first - it may turn out to be some sort of strange prosthetic - think how embarrassing your assumption may be...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I am never afraid of approaching a stranger to start up a conversation. However, in this situation I think it is better to leave well enough alone. He has his reasons and you may cause discomfort if you mention it.

One thing that you could do if this is a regular group meet-up would be to get to know him better over time as a club friend. Then see what happens.

The first rule of Bra Club - don't talk about Bra Club.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine thought the guy she was dating was wearing a bra? It turned out to be a setup to hold sensors in place for some experiment. You never know.

OMG Claire you just made me spit my coffee out through my nose....LOL that was a good one.
    Last edited by Victoria Demeanor; 06-28-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireTaylor View Post
    The first rule of Bra Club - don't talk about Bra Club.
    As funny as this is, it's of the correct approach. Just say nothing. Possibly, in the course of conversation, you could mention that you are a crossdresser. You'll get either, "So am I!" or, Stinkeye!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    I assume the club meeting wasn't a Cding event so saying something would be more difficult ! I think I would have tried to get a front view to make sure it was a bra and not some sort of medical support ! If was evidently a bra and the guy appeared approachable I would have got into a conversation to get round to the subject . If i was in that situation I would be fine to talk about it as long the other person wasn't trying to be sarcastic and belittle you !

Banned Read only
    I kind of cut the original post short because I had to leave. Anyway thanks for the concerns, but I know it was a bra because I have been doing this for a long time and I know what a bra looks like under clothes. I myself often "underdress" and always check to see how visible my bra is. I could plainly make out the clasp, straps, rings and adjusters in back and in front there was the tel-tail wrinkles of under filled cups. As much as we often want to pretend there is some mysterious medical device that looks exactly like a bra under our clothes, there just isn't and he is too skinny to make the gynecomastia claim.

I guess I will have to ease it into the conversation or maybe have my wife do little snooping when talking with his wife.

It is entirely possible that it is a medical lifejacket - basically a wearable defibrillator. Or even some other medical device.

You don't have to be old to need one either.

~Melissa
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Careful I bite <3
    Most people in the T community tend to say outing someone in public is a bad thing. You don't know how it will affect them, and normally people don't appreciate getting "clocked".

If your open enough to expose yourself first it can start the conversation, the more you expose the better the odds that the person won't feel as blindsided.

Me personally I sometimes just make sure I'm out of earshot and go straight to the bottom line. I have a lot of success with it since most people are happy to find a friendly face. I normally am willing to expose myself at least some after, but I prefer just to ask point blank. Of course when I'm saying this none of the cases where I do that are specifically about CDing but I have asked some that would be considered tactless by some. I can still look at myself in the mirror because I weighed the REAL risks in terms of how I asked. I knew my response would be positive so I just give them the opportunity if they want to take it.
    Last edited by Badwolf; 06-28-2015 at 08:27 PM.

I think there's a lot of good advice here. Even if you are sure it is a bra. Tremendous care should be taken to not embarrass this person. I'm not sure how I'd handle seeing another person like me in public. I would be overjoyed and would want to meet and talk with them but I know it can be a very sensitive situation. :/

Let me ask a counter-question -- why would you approach this? What's it to you? Why do you think having gleaned the information you believe you have gleaned that you have an obligation to do anything about it? If you feel you must, then don't do anything that puts him on the spot -- put yourself on the spot. Wear your bra to the next meeting and let him "discover" you. Or get a T-shirt with the trans-symbol on it and wear that. If you're not willing to put yourself out there, leave him alone.

I'm not sure how I would react seeing another cder out and under dressed. My first thought was, if I saw a real gg out, with a thin top on and her bra was showing through, would I walk up to her and say, I see you have a bra on and I wear one to. I really think one should find out more about the person, before you out yourself.

I think Jenny is right. Just to be sure--you have to make the first reveal. For instance, paint your nails with a mostly neutral color, clear, almost. Let him notice you.
    Maybe wear a woman's sweater.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    Let me ask a counter-question -- why would you approach this? What's it to you? Why do you think having gleaned the information you believe you have gleaned that you have an obligation to do anything about it? If you feel you must, then don't do anything that puts him on the spot -- put yourself on the spot. Wear your bra to the next meeting and let him "discover" you. Or get a T-shirt with the trans-symbol on it and wear that. If you're not willing to put yourself out there, leave him alone.
    I don't feel obliged to do anything, but I have always wanted to have a CD friend. My wife is excepting, but other than that I have been going solo for the last 40 years and I could miss the chance to not only make a girlfriend but become good friends with another accepting couple. I do not want to put him on the spot and the last thing I would want to happen would be to out him, which is why I did not say anything yesterday.

You are right Jennie, I need to make the first move at this point, but I want to keep the two hobbies separated for now so underdressing to a "club event" is out of the question.

I guess I will have to talk this over with my wife and see how or even if she thinks I should peruse it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I suggest sayind, "Did u know your bra is visible thru your shirt?" Then, don't speak again no matter what he says.

Plan B. Invite him and the wife over for dinner and see where the conversation goes after a few before dinner drinks.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Roberta,

To be honest, I would leave it alone and let the person be. Remember that for many who span the TG spectrum at the close end of CDing, it is a very private affair and they wish nobody else to know or partake. Yes, you can imply the person is deliberately outing themselves by having tell-tale signs of a bra and that is reason enough to make contact. However, whatever their motives, politeness should still reign. If the person is CD (and I say if because you truly do not know what is below the shirt even though you are 100 percent certain it is a bra), this is perhaps their fledgling attempt at expressing this side of themselves and someone wandering in saying "Hey are you CD? Coincidently, so am I" could scare them off. Remember, not everyone wants company in this thing we do and some just want their private moment of joy in whatever form they wish. I find sometimes we wish so much for a kindred spirit to share our own dressing with that we forget about the sensitivities of the other person. Tread lightly please IMHO.

Hugs

Isha

Hugs

Banned Read only
    So what if the guy wears a bra? Go strike up a conversation with him. He might be a really nice and interesting person. He might be looking for someone who accepts him for himself no matter what he wears.

Platinum Member
    Hi Roberta, The man may be suffering with Gynaecomastia and wearing a bra .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Maybe with a wink and a snap of your bra strap?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I think this guy is probably a member of these pages, one who says "I underdress with a bra and no one notices".

To which the proper reply is that everyone notices he is wearing a bra but no one says anything. Ignorance might be bliss, depending on your POV.

As for whether anything should be said, you did the right thing in not going there.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Reality Check
    Yep, he thinks no one notices.

Your observation is the answer to every post asking if a bra can be seen under clothing.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Trying to put myself in his position...

At the end of the next meeting, right when he's about to leave, you could very discreetly hand him a note and say 'Sorry to be cryptic, but could you read this once you're outside'.

The note could say, 'I think you might want to know that at the last meeting I was pretty sure I could see you were wearing a bra under your shirt. I'm a crossdresser by the way.'

But saying nothing and trying to befriend him first is probably safest. Remember the ending to American Beauty?
    I used to have a short attention spa